Scalloped potatoes-trim or full cream milk?

minn1, Sep 23, 9:50pm
Have had a fail with a scalloped potatoes type dish,with the milk not making a creamy sauce,and staying very liquid when the potatoes are lifted out-looked okay till then, and am wondering if it because I use a low-fat milk!.Have never had any joy, and it just occured to me that that might be the reason. What do you think fellow cooks.!.or is there a secret I havent discovered yet!

cats5, Sep 23, 10:01pm
cream

bob18, Sep 23, 10:31pm
Ha Ha. last night i used cream, topped up with about 1/2 c Mega Milk over layered, kumara, pumpkin, bacon, broccoli, sliced garlic and grated cheese.looked yum.spooned out first spoonful and it was all watery.so now what !

cookessentials, Sep 23, 10:39pm
I use cream in mine.

cookessentials, Sep 23, 10:40pm
Pam's Creamy Potatoes

25g butter, melted;1 clove garlic,crushed;1/4 tsp nutmeg;2 cups grated tasty cheese; 1 kg potatoes,peeled and sliced thinly;2 eggs,lightly beaten;1x 300ml carton cream;1 cup milk;1/2 cup stale breadcrumbs;fresh herbs to garnish.
combine melted butter,garlic and nutmeg in a bowl. Brush a shallow oven proof dish with half the butter mixture. Sprinkle half the cheese over the base and layer the potato slices. Combine remaining butter mix, eggs, cream and milk in a jug and pour gently over potato slices. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs ( I dont usually bother with the breadcrumbs) Bake in hot oven - 200C for about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. (Cover with foil if top becomes too brown.

davidt4, Sep 23, 11:19pm
Leave out the milk and broccoli.Roast or fry the pumpkin first to remove the excess moisture.

strebor1, Sep 23, 11:41pm
I always use cream as in cream, not milk. I also always par boil the potatoes first.

pickles7, Sep 24, 12:15am
I never used cream, catering. I found this on the net , similar to what we made.
http://southern.food.com/recipe/scalloped-potatoes-85629

minn1, Sep 24, 12:22am
thanks for that,.might try again, just everytime I think "this time I'll be lucky" lol.nope, just not my thing.But will definitly try the cream rather than milk :)

karenz, Sep 24, 12:27am
I use cream too but have had success with milk with an egg beaten into it, though it does go watery if reheated in the microwave.

nuge, Sep 24, 12:49am
Potatoes sliced and arranged - 150ml milk mixed with 150ml cream and one packet of onion soup mix, pour this over the potatoes.Sprinkle a little cheese on top if you like.Cook 50 mins at 170.

lythande1, Sep 24, 1:18am
So, if you don't want to use cream.my son came up with this idea.he made a not too thick, not too cheesy, cheese sauce and poured that over. Worked brilliantly, could just use white sauce if you don't want the cheese part.

weloveponies, Sep 24, 1:49am
a bottle of cream and a packet of onion soup mix for potato bake or packet of cream of chicken soup mix for kumara bake. mmmm yummo!

carlosjackal, Sep 24, 2:13am
Cream or full cream milk

carlosjackal, Sep 24, 2:14am
I do this but you've gotta try the Bacon and Onion soup mix! DeeeeeVine!

toerag, Dec 1, 2:28am
mix a bottle of cream with a packet of Maggi Bacon and Onion soup mix. YUM

gennie, Dec 1, 8:02am
When we are feeling we need to watch what we eat a bit, we use chicken stock.Can work really well.