Share your favourite beef casserole recipe?

p1glet, Aug 27, 5:53am
Please!

prestoni, Aug 27, 7:45am
Aw, no one has replied! One of my favorites is one where I brown the beef, after rolling it in flour and salt and pepper, take it out of the pot, the put a little oil in and add about six or seven slicked onions, when they are softened add a tsp or so of caraway seeds and the same of some smoked paprika, toss this around for a few minutes until you can smell the caraway seeds, then put e beef back in and add about a cup or cup and a half of beef stock and put the lid on and either cook on low on the stove top for an hour or three, until meat is tender, or in the oven. I use some cheap cut of beef because it's being cooked so long. You will know when it's ready because the onions will have dissolved and just be a delicious sauce.

prestoni, Aug 27, 7:46am
Sorry, just read that back! The meat will also have broken down and you should check for salt and pepper as well before serving. I think the beef I use is stewing steak too.

sooseque, Aug 27, 8:13am
• PELE STEAK

• 3 tablespoons of flour
• 1 teaspoon of mixed spice
• 1 teaspoon of ginger
• 1 teaspoon of curry powder
• 3tablespoons sugar
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 1 teaspoon of dry mustard
• 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
• quarter cup of vinegar
• quarter cup of beef stock
• quarter cup of tomato sauce
• 1 teaspoon worcester sauce
• 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
• half cup chopped prunes
• 1 teaspoon of grated lemon rind.
• 1 kilo blade steak
Directions
1. Mix dry ingredients; cut steak into small cubes and roll in dry ingredients. Cover and leave 3-4 hours or overnight in fridge.
2. Mix liquid ingredients together; place meat in crockpot or large casserole dish and pour liquid mix over. Cover and cook in over for two hours at 180 degrees or six to eight hours in crockpot.
3. Remove from oven and add prunes mushrooms and lemon and cook one more hour.
4. Serve with boiled rice.

1buzemum, Aug 28, 9:03am
Flour meat and brown in frying pan (put into casserole dish)
Saute onion, garlic add little butter add flour left over from meat mix in and fry through, slowly add as thickens wet ingredience. about 1/3 C black current jam, beef stock (about 1 cube) splash vinegar, 1tsp sweet chilly sauce and hot water. Mix into onion mixture till starts to thicken then pour over meat bake .what ever temp you like till cooked, I usually cook 150 deg for 2-3 hours or in crock pot.

Herb dumplings go nice on top, make scone dough but add parsley and grated cheese place blobs on top At end of cooking meat increase heat to 220 deg for 20 min.

fisher, Aug 28, 1:32pm
Made this last nice. amazing.gravy beef trimmed and chopped into about 1 inch squares. crockpot on "auto' with a cup of water. drizzle of oil and brown the chunks.a few at a time in a frypan. dont do too many as they will stew. Just pop them into the crockpot as you go.In same pan, fry 1 large onion that has been french cut (with the grain) until browned. add 3-4 cloves of fine chopped garlic.add all to crockpot.chop up another medium onion the same way and add raw to crockpot. par boil some chunky slices carrots in salted water and then pour off half the liquid into a large mug. add a packet of Maggi oxtail soup, stir well and add to crockpot. also add the carrots and some of the remaining water.now some very fine chopped parsley and rosemary. grind of rock salt and black pepper and crush up a beef oxo cube.3/4 cup of fine chopped capsicums and some mushroom stalks trimmed and sliced in half.reserve a few mushrooms and slice them up to be added later.
A cup of frozen peas placed in a colander and rinsed with hot water for 10 secs. throw the sliced mushrooms on top.half hour before serving, turn crockpot to high and throw in the peas and sliced mushrooms.now you can put your rice on ( we wash ours).good stir up and now's the time to tatse test and season to how you like it.big pile of rice and make a hole in the middle.add the stew to the middle and serve.
Simple but tasty easy made meal. (MUST use gravy beef)

This was supposed to be a curry but after tasting it, decided to leave well enough alone as it tasted so good.for those that know me, I would like you to try this as it really is delicimo.we did it all again the following night with the leftovers.even better.

nzhuia, Aug 28, 7:54pm
Going to try yours Prestoni--love the sound of smoked paprika and caraway seeds,something different. Thank-you.

nzhuia, Aug 28, 7:58pm
Fisher,I don't have a crock pot is it ok just do doit slowly in ovenin a casserole dish !thanks

wayneandjudith, Aug 29, 4:29am
Does anyone have good ideas for flavouring a casserole without using powdered stocks, soups etc.! - or any other processed food for that matter.

245sam, Aug 29, 4:44am
wayneandjudith, here's are some powdered stockless, soup mix-less options that you might like to try.I haven't made these for quite some time but they have all been favourites at various times over the last almost 38 years.

ARGENTINE STEAK
454g (1 lb) cheapest steak (or mutton pieces)
1 bacon rasher, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 heaped tbsp flour
1 tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp each ofcurry powderandground ginger
saltandpepper
2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershireorsoy sauce
½ cup each oftomato sauceorpureeandwater
28g (1oz) grated cheese

Combine the meat and all the remaining ingredients and simmer for 2-3 hours in an electric fry pan or in a casserole dish in the oven.
Serve with peas and mashed potato or spaghetti or macaroni.

SAVOURY BAKED STEAK
2 bacon rashers
750g topside steak
½ tsp dry mustard
3 tsp sugar
3 tbsp flour
2 tbsp vinegar
1½ tbsp tomato sauce
1½ cups water

Trim the rind off the bacon and fry the bacon for a few minutes to draw off the fat.Drain and cut the bacon into 3cm length pieces.Cut the steak into even-sized pieces and put the steak and bacon into an ovenproof dish.Mix the remaining ingredients together until smooth, then pour the mixture over the meats.Cover the dish.
Bake at160°Cfor2-2½ hours or until the steak is tender.

STEAK PINEAPPLE CASSEROLE
680g (1½ lbs) beef steak
flour
1 x 454g can each oftomato soupandpineapple
2 or 3 onions, finely sliced
dash of Worcestershire sauce (optional)

Cut the steak into pieces, then flour the pieces and place them in a casserole dish.Pour the tomato soup over and add the pineapple and its juice.Add the onions and Worcestershire, if using.
Bake at180°C (350°F)forabout 3 hours.
Serve with boiled rice (1 cup uncooked rice = about 3 cups cooked rice). :-))

p1glet, Aug 29, 5:57am
Thanks all! Will do something nice this weekend :)

prestoni, Aug 29, 7:07am
Nzhuia hope you enjoy it, it is one of my fav's. sorry the measurements arent that precise, but I'm a sort of throw it together cook sometimes and it seems to work out pretty delicious.

nik12, Aug 29, 11:33am
My Mum's.
Roll chopped up what ever is cheap beef in flour with a bit of pepper added.
Put in casserole with and sliced onion or two, some sliced carrots and some peas.An oxo cube, 1/2 t salt.Add water to not quite cover what's in casserole.(I also add a good squirt of worchestershire sauce and a big tablespoon of tomato relish, and sometimes a squirt of soy sauce as well, not in Mums recipe).I also tend to chuck in mixed vege instead of the carrots and peas 'coz I like the corn.
Cook low for ages (150 for 3-4 hours), or a bit higher if you're in a hurry, can be an hour at 180 but depends on the cut you use and how fussy you are with outcome. If it's not thick enough for your liking, mix 1T cornflour with enough water to make a paste and add.

p1glet, Sep 1, 4:50am
I ended up making one with a mixture from all your recipes :)
Beef, mushrooms, bacon, onion, oxtail soup, stock, and Guinness.

The Guinness made it smell rank!
But it tastes delicious!

Thanks everyone :)

daisyhill, Sep 1, 11:12am
Sounds like an interesting mix! Glad it tasted good :-)

melford, Sep 3, 2:43am
fisher tried your recipe, very nice and meat so tender but I will leave out the peppers next time and the rosemary as I thought those two ingredients overpowered the dish.

melford, Sep 3, 2:44am
I also tried jamie olivers recipe, very nice too but quite strong because of the guinness, next time I would use a lighter ale

carlos57, Sep 3, 3:40am
My favourite beef casserole is cooked in the pressure cooker. Don't know if that recipe would be of any use to anyone! Happy to post it if you like :)

ruby19, Sep 3, 5:02am
Try this out, the recipe is for lamb, but I use beef.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Moroccan-Slow-Cooked-Lamb-231597
I do add a little red wine to deglaze the pan.

melford, Sep 3, 6:09am
yes carlos57, I would love your recipe as I have a pressure cooker

nunesy, Sep 3, 6:10am
Prestoni your recipe sounds tasty and easy - eg perfect to try!But six or seven onions seems like a LOT!

carlos57, Sep 3, 8:05am
Beef Stew
50g dripping or oil
4 medium carrots, sliced
2 medium onions, diced
750g steak, cut to 2 ½cm cubes
375ml hot brown stock
1 tsp mixed herbs
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbspn cornflour

Heat fat in open pressure cooker, and fry vegetables till brown. Lift out and drain well. Brown the meat in the hot fat, then lift out and drain. Pour off any excess fat from the cooker, and away from the heat, add the stock and replace meat and vegetables. Stir in the herbs, season, and close cooker. Bring to high pressure and cook for 20 minutes. Reduce pressure quickly. Return open cooker to heat, and stir in cornflour blended with a little cold water. Stirring constantly, boil until thickened.

Enjoy :)