The cheese and pineapple on toothpicks

Page 1 / 2
viv130, Jul 4, 4:14am
Remember in the seventies we use to stab cheese and pineapple and what else! then plonk them in a orange to look like a hedgehog.

dbab, Jul 4, 4:19am
Slices of gherkin or cocktail onions.(green, white or red)
I've also seen them done with a cube of luncheon sausage or ham or salami.

sarahb5, Jul 4, 4:29am
That's the only use I can think of for those cheese cubes you can buy now .

gardie, Jul 4, 5:14am
cocktail onion, cheese and pineapple.The onion and pineapple must be on either side of the cheese lol.Yum - we always had these at our parties as children (and I'm the wrong side of 50 now).

valentino, Jul 4, 5:17am
and sometimes a little bit of rolled ham with a wee bit of the old chesdale inside cut into the right size.

viv130, Jul 4, 7:10am
funny gardie, yes I'm on that wrong side of 50 too. thanks for you replies, I shall enjoy making them

gardie, Jul 4, 8:25am
I hope you enjoy eating them too!(Not so sure they will taste as exciting as they did in our youth - tastes have changed somewhat!)

farawaytoo, Jul 4, 8:52am
now you can do them with camembert or brie and olives , they taste nice too

kuaka, Jul 4, 9:07am
I used to love them, and I'm on the wrong side of 60.I would probably still love them now.Oh dear.How sad.

nfh1, Jul 4, 9:14am
When I got my Citizenship a friend threw a party for me and did all those sorts of things to show what I had missed not growing up here.There was some really weird red sausage things,wine in a box (which we only had to taste, not drink all night!), some cheese rolls, cheese straws, pavlova of course and hokey pokey ice cream.It was a fantastic night!

motorbo, Jul 4, 11:17am
wonderful memories are not sad and i say bugga to trends in food.a trend in food is what you like.i so could sit down to a bowl of my stuffed eggs i used to make

lol

cuteviolet, Jul 4, 11:22am
Yummmmm! Stuffed eggs!

kuaka, Jul 4, 11:48am
Sorry, I was meaning that nobody seems to serve these yummy delights these days, and that's sad 'cos they seem to be "out of fashion".No longer sophisticated enough - when they were popular everyone thought it very chic to serve sweet and savoury together, probably because our parents or grandparents wouldn't have dreamed of doing so.

gardie, Jul 4, 7:05pm
The class next door to mine had a mid year party at the end of the term and one Mum sent these along minus the onions.Not so out of fashion it seems!Must say though - the onions make them!

vinee, Jul 4, 7:14pm
x1
I used to have a wooden pineapple with holes in it for the tooth picks and slots at the top (in the leaves) for serviettes!
We was posh, like that.
Oh, and served with Miami wine cooler!

biggles45, Jul 4, 7:28pm
Wrong side of 50 here too. We used to have the little cocktail sausages on toothpicks too.

greerg, Jul 4, 10:06pm
Son "rediscovered" stuffed eggs at a party and was raving about these New treats that I "should learn to make Mum". At different stages in his life he has also "discovered" ordinary rice pudding, scotch eggs, and various things from the past that I hadn't made for years but now do occasionally.

grannypam, Jul 4, 10:10pm
squares of luncheon with the cheese and pineapple too.
also a slice of luncheon rolled around a pickled onion.

pericles, Jul 5, 2:13am
the other side of 50 here

brings back memories

nzl99, Jul 5, 3:18am

grandma, Jul 5, 4:55am
I've still got my pineapple vinne - and I must admit I still use it!

dibble35, Jul 5, 7:59am
Hey I still make these! and my nephews (13 &10) love them. 1st thing to go at family get togethers. I'm making them this saturday for mine and my neicesbirthday party. Mine have cheese cubes, cocktail onion and a chunk of Kransky (meat) on them, all randomly put on (nothing flash or matching here) and shoved in 1/2 an orange. beautiful

rarogal, Jul 5, 11:29pm
A group of my girlfriends all over 50' got together for a 70's wedding. It was so much fun, we brought or wore our wedding dresses, albums etc. the hostess provided a wedding breakfast of the foods we used have back then, including the cheese, onion & pineapple sticks!Those were the days, eh!

asue, Jul 6, 12:01am
we use to put a glace cherry with the cheese on the toothpicks, makes it look very colourful when stuck in the orange, with the others as above- lol

mothergoose_nz, Jul 6, 2:32am
stuffed celery. helped a friend do a birthday party for her child,about 10 years old.she made mince stew,mashed potatoes and probably some peas.never seen a party(or lack of it) like it