Pineapple...

a_n_h, Dec 30, 12:08am
Has anyone got any good ideas for pineapple please? I have a whole one here and not sure what to do with it other then just sit and eat it. Also how long will fresh pineapple keep for?
TIA

alebix, Dec 30, 12:13am
It will last a couple of days in the fridge.

How about making an upside down pineapple cake?
smoothies?
pineapple fritters?

chopped up and put in a rice pudding...

buzzy110, Dec 30, 12:18am
Just eat it IMO. How can you possibly add to perfection?

a_n_h, Dec 30, 12:21am
thanks for the ideas
how do i make pineapple fritters? they sound yummy!!
hubby wont touch pineapple with a barge pole so its just for me and the 3 kids..

cookessentials, Dec 30, 12:49am
Grilled pineapple with rum is delicious

cookessentials, Dec 30, 12:54am
Caramelised Pineapple

1 large lime
1 large fresh pineapple, peeled, sliced thickly
1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
4 scoops ice-cream

Peel the rind thinly from the lime, avoiding any of the white pith. Cut the lime rind into thin strips (or remove the rind with a zester). Squeeze two tablespoons of juice from the lime.

Cook the pineapple slices, in batches, in a large oiled, non-stick frying pan until they are browned on both sides.

Remove from pan. Add sugar, juice and rind to same pan, cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Return pineapple to pan and toss slices gently to coat in syrup.

Serve pineapple with ice-cream and syrup

missy-barbie, Dec 30, 12:56am
gosh i wouldnt ever do anything else with fress pineapplle, it would be awaste. yum me and my daughter could finish a pineapple

cookessentials, Dec 30, 1:01am
This one tastes really refreshing and brings out the flavour of the pineapple.

1 pineapple, skin removed and cut into quarters lengthwise
8 bamboo skewers, soaked

syrup:
200ml water
100ml white rum
100g sugar
3cm piece ginger, peeled and sliced
1 stick lemongrass, bruised
zest and juice of 1 lemon
zest and juice of 1 lime
1 dried red chilli

spiced sugar
1 dried red chilli
2 teaspoons rock salt
3 teaspoons caster sugar

To make the syrup, place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil, making sure the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and cool, then strain.

Marinate the pineapple in the syrup overnight

To make the spiced sugar, pound the dried chilli and salt in a mortar until you have fine flakes of chilli. Add the caster sugar.

Prepare your barbecue for cooking on a medium-high heat.

Thread the pineapple onto the bamboo skewers and place over the barbecue. Cook until caramelised, turning the fruit as required.

Serve with the spiced sugar in a dipping bowl

a_n_h, Dec 30, 1:04am
does the alcohol burn off cookessentials? im 35 weeks pregnant so a bit iffy about cooking aith alcohol.

wouldnt eat a whole pineapple give us a stomach ache though?

missy-barbie, Dec 30, 1:11am
4 people wouldnt get a stomach ach from only one pineapple. alcohol evaporates when cooked

cookessentials, Dec 30, 1:15am
The alcohol will burn off,but if you wish, err on the side of caution. You wont get stomach ache, but it is GREAT for the digestion.

fruitluva2, Dec 30, 1:47am
Do you have an Upside down pineapple cake recipe please Alebix? I have a pineapple that needs to be used too.
Cheers

a_n_h, Dec 30, 3:18am
thanks all.
looks like fresh pineapple for dessert tonight. will get some more to try out the other recipes though.

alebix, Dec 30, 3:31am
Sorry fruitluva I dont... Its one recipe I dont seem to have...

BTW its an old wives tale that fresh pineapple juice will bring on your labour...

cutex01, Dec 30, 4:11am
I have half a pineapple I need to use up too so I'm doing spicy beef meatball stirfry and will cut up the pineapple and chuck that in.Serving it with rice.Something quick and easy anyway. :o)

budgel, Dec 30, 8:01am
We had fresh pineapple slices for a sit up in bed type breakfast.
I bought one on Christmas Eve Day in Kaitaia, drove to Whangarei and had it on Christmas day. That hot day in the car ripened it perfectly.

a_n_h, Dec 30, 10:01pm
i didnt even think of that alebix!! it didnt work with miss 6 tomorrow. and i ate heaps and heaps of it.

fruitluva2, Dec 25, 6:01pm
Thats ok Alebix, maybe I will try a pineapple pie using a fresh one.