Diabetic fruit cake

Page 2 / 3
elliehen, Jan 29, 10:26pm
You might be putting on a cap that fits ;)

My reference to "chubbies" was to the many anguished threads in Health & Beauty where many people find it difficult to eat in moderation.However, the aim of losing weight has always loomed large in Paleo posts, so maybe although you know "most of us" you don't know everybody.

pods, Jan 29, 10:34pm
The recipe I use for my vegan daughter is
1kg fruit
2 cups coffee,(i use 3 tsp coffee to 2cups water.)
150g dark chocolate
2 cups self raising flour
Soak fruit overnight in coffee, add chopped chocolate and flour. I usually bake it in a low oven for around 1 1/2 - 2 hours. I use Nestles chocolate as the dark ones don't have dairy in them.

cookessentials, Jan 29, 11:20pm
for THIS very reason for goodness sake!

elliehen, Jan 29, 11:52pm
No one asked for recipes.The original poster posted long ago on 16 May 2012 and asked for oven temperature and whether or not she could use fan bake.

Poster #4 bumped the old thread this week simply to ask if you could add eggs to the recipe and I answered her by finding a recipe provided by pickles7 which was a similar recipe and had added eggs.

There was no call for the preaching.Anyone who feels impelled to give advice about the management of Diabetes should maybe take it to the Health & Beauty messageboard.

hestia, Jan 30, 12:11am
http://www.diabetes.org.nz/food_and_nutrition/ideal_plate/main_food_groups#Breads

"Breads/Cereals/Starchy Vegetables
e.g bread, breakfast cereal, potatoes, kumara, yams, corn, taro, rice, pasta etc.
. . .

Aim to have some carbohydrates at each meal.
. . .

Choose foods high in fibre."

When you eat carbohydrates on their own, then yes, you may get a blood glucose spike. But the Diabetes Society advises to eat carbohydrates with a meal, and to include fibre in the meal. The effect of having fibre within the meal is to slow the absorption of the glucose from the intestine into the blood stream, with the result being a more shallow rise in blood glucose levels. To a certain extent fat and protein will have this effect as well. Nobody is saying "eat carbohydrates on their own".

Haven't we had this discussion before!

elliehen, Jan 30, 12:33am
Over and over and over and over ad infinitum!

But some people are fixated on their dietary regime as "The One Way" and have awarded themselves Google degrees in advanced medicine and the management of all manner of conditions - not just Diabetes ;)

hestia, Jan 30, 1:03am
Yep. If a person cannot engage in a deeper discussion on a particular topic, then you have to ponder upon their level of expertise.

uli, Jan 30, 5:05am
Yes we have - and it seems no-one learned anything since then.
Not even the diabetes asscn.

uli, Jan 30, 5:06am
WHICH very reason!

knowsley, Jan 30, 6:00am
Maybe they, and everyone else, knows what is right, and ignores those that preach the wrong message.

vintagekitty, Jan 30, 6:05am
LOL at those that think they know more than the professionals. Speaking of know it alls, where is the other one, she has not come back since another of her Id's were disabled.

elliehen, Jan 30, 6:15am
The propensity you have for alienating yourself from others at every turn, even to the extent of being openly hostile on the TM messageboards to former friends in the Low Carb and Paleo Cooking NZ website.perhaps!

elliehen, Jan 30, 6:17am
Very sensible to lie low for a while after a humiliation like that one.

deered, Jan 30, 8:05pm
All fruit cakes are suitable for a T1 diabetic, so long as they carb count and match their insulin to it.I love a good fruit cake, and do have some, although because they are so high carb, even with doing the correct amount of fast acting insulin, it can cause a spike, so I limit my serving size to something that I can handle, and it's SO GOOD!

amiri1, Jan 30, 8:43pm
Lot of non diabetics giving their opinions on what fruit cake will do to a diabetic.

Some can handle it with extra insulin but I wouldn't feed it to any diabetic I cared about. Even a small slice of poison does damage.

elliehen, Jan 30, 10:45pm
It's safe to assume that a diabetic is just as capable of deciding what to put in his/her mouth as a non-diabetic.The idea of "feeding" it to a diabetic is odd - unless you're talking about feeding children with IDDM.

uli, Jan 31, 3:40am
Amiri1 - I am in awe on how well you control your diabetes. And at the same time I think it is pretty useless to try and change ideas here on TM! While I still try - you can see how my posts are treated - so if you can help fellow diabetes patients you are better off than be slandered on here. All the best!

elliehen, Jan 31, 4:22am
You are not taken seriously by many because you always suggest that one size fits all - YOUR size.

That's just not correct.

uli, Jan 31, 4:31am
ellie - there is only ONE size once you have diabetes.
ALL diabetics have problems with carbs.

D1 use insulin all the time and can cover a slice of fruit cake - if it is small one.

D2 people have much more problems as they might be on metformin, insulin or whatever else, some are just on a low carb diet. And most listen to the garbage told to them by the diabetes asscn.

As hestia pointed out above they still say that a quarter of your plate at every meal should be carbs - why! If you cannot tolerate carbs - then why eat them! It is ludicrous!

I know heaps of people that are D1 and D2 and so I think I can comment on it. None of the people I know would eat pasta, rice, potatoes etc. They DO eat a piece of pumpkin or kumara as that will not put the blood sugar levels up sky high.

As they all check their levels several times a day they know what they are talking about and I am relaying this here.

If you all want to discuss what diabetics should or should not do via attacking me then that is fine by me. But it is not going to give any indication to people who have no idea what to bake for a diabetic person - is it!

So keep attacking me and my "opinions" - never mind they are facts - to the detriment of teaching people what diabetics can and should eat.

elliehen, Jan 31, 4:41am
My point is that you insult the intelligence of a person with diabetes if you think they do not think deeply every day about what they put into their mouths - just as you, without diabetes, seem to do.

Do not worry endlessly about "what to bake" for a diabetic person.The person with diabetes, whether it's amiri who doesn't eat cake or deered who does, will know precisely what to choose to eat - just as you, without diabetes, seem to do.

uli, Jan 31, 4:46am
I was talking about the people who want to "to make this for a friend" - and who obviously have no idea.

elliehen, Jan 31, 4:50am
If I were your friend and you made me a goat stew, I would politely decline and have some bread and cheese or something else on offer.

The friend who is presented with the cake can choose to have a small piece or none at all.It's no one's problem or decision to make but hers alone.

redfeather, May 16, 5:00am
I want to make this for a friend. The one that you soak in coffee overnight. My recipe doesn't tell me what temp or how long for, and can you use fan bake! Thanks

elliehen, May 16, 5:08am
This is the same one, I think, with coffee instead of orange juice.

huia991, May 16, 10:38am
I have made this cake many times and it was a favourite of my mothers.I often vary the liquid for different tastes.Eg milk, coffee, different juices, rum, whiskey, contreau - as well as combinations.I have also drained a tin of crushed pineapple added that and used the drained juice as part of the 2 cups of liquid.Have also pressed slivered almonds onto the top as soon as it comes out of the oven.Sometimes have added vanilla essence or mixed spice.