Very dark fruit cake. Has anyone a recipe

clair4, Oct 10, 12:42am
for a very dark cake.Tasted one at a wedding and it was very moist and so dark.My cakes are not as dark and I would like to try to make one for xmas this year.Many thanks.

noonesgirl, Oct 10, 1:41am
Try l/h message board & key in dark fruit cake. Date posted - anytime. Good luck

clair4, Oct 10, 2:09am
I had no success.Must be doing something wrong.

buzzy110, Oct 10, 2:23am
The search box is in your left sidebar and is under the heading 'Message board' Type in your search in the 'Keyword or member:' box and in the 'Date posted:' box, click the drop down arrow and click 'Anytime'.

If you get no joy then change your search words. Fruitcake is a good word to start with.

buzzy110, Oct 10, 2:26am
Just to help you along here is a recipe from the wooden fruitcake people. Like cooks I have tried this cake and it is probably among the most beautiful tasting fruitcake ever.

"This recipe is the BEST cake I have ever had and it is made in one of the wooden cake boxes. It is moist and very tasty and I am not usually a great fan of Christmas cake.

* 2kg mixed dried fruit
* 500g butter
* 500g brown sugar
* 1 Tbsp golden syrup
* zest and juice of 1 lemon
* 1 tsp mixed spice
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1 tsp curry powder
* ½ tsp salt
* 125g chopped blanched almonds
* 1 glass brandy or rum (200 ml)
* 2 Tbsp cornflour
* 8 eggs, beaten
* 500g flour
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp baking soda

Put fruit, butter, sugar and golden syrup into a large saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to stop the mixture burning. Add lemon, spices, salt, chopped almonds and brandy.

Stirring continuously, simmer for 10 minutes, then add cornflour. Mix well and remove from heat. Leave to cool thoroughly.

Beat eggs. Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda, add alternately to cooled fruit mixture. Bake in the middle of the oven at 160˚C for 30 minutes. Then 120˚C for 4 hours. (Cooking times may vary depending on the oven.) Cool in the box
Wooden cakeboxes benefit from a brief time in the oven prior to their first use. This allows the timber to shrink slightly as it adjusts to the heat of the oven.

Simply line the box with a layer of baking paper, and fill with the cake mixture. Ensure that they are placed in a preheated oven only. Do not bake at over 160˚C, do not wash the box with water. Any cake mixture adhering to the box can be brushed out after cooking.

Edited by cookessentials at 8:26 pm, Mon 20 Sep

cookessentials"

clair4, Oct 10, 2:34am
Thanks Buzzy.I have made that recipe and it is very nice, but I would like a darker one to make as well.I will be makint the bread box ones again this year.

clair4, Oct 10, 2:40am
Thank you.I have learnt something today.
So many recipes to go through, but so good to know.

indy95, Oct 10, 4:01am
Clair4, I have bumped Nigella's Dark Christmas Cake recipe for you. This will make a really dark, fruity cake.

wron, Oct 10, 8:51am
Clair - did you use a wooden box? If so which size - I seethere's a Tauranga trader selling them , 13, 20 and 23cm I sizes I think. The above mix looks as if it would make a huge cake!
Would need lots of yummy almond icing!
Oh no, I can hear the screams from the purists already!!!! (The nutty top ones)

wron, Oct 10, 8:55am
I just goggled wooden fruitcake and found the site cookessential mentioned - lots of info, tips and recipes for different sizes there.
Tis almost the season!

luckyduck, Oct 10, 6:55pm
Yes I agree, I had a piece of this cake last year and it was the nicest I have ever tasted. I will be making one this year.

clair4, May 20, 10:43pm
Thank you.I have printed off a couple plus this one, so will study them today.Nigella also gives 3 size cake recipes which is ideal as I give cakes away at Xmas and make different sizes.