Storing bread from breadmaker

goldilocks77, Apr 16, 9:03pm
Morning all,I have just brought myself a breadmaker and am wondering how i should store the loaf once its cooked and cooled.

biggles45, Apr 16, 9:11pm
I would like to know too - I currently put into a plastic bag and keep in the fridge, but it only keeps well for 2 days max, after that it is ok for toast for 24 hours, then gets thrown out.

roundtop, Apr 16, 9:16pm
I was told by a baker never keep bread in the fridge,if u r having problems with it i would slice it and put it in the freezer and use it from there,no waste then!

biggles45, Apr 16, 9:29pm
Yeah, mum used to keep bread in a bread bin with no wrapping on it and it never went stale, but as it was bought not home made I wondered if it had preservatives in it.

magenta, Apr 16, 9:31pm
I keep mine in a plastic bag in a bread bin not the fridge.I usually only get a couple of days before it is toast only texture.I think addingmilk powder is supposed to make it last longer.I find if it is going stale I put in the freezer for future toast. It never lasts fresh as long as store bought bread.

lenart, Apr 16, 11:44pm
Bread in the fridge will stale faster. Freshly baked bread after it cools well, slice and put in the freezer. Leave some freshly baked bread enough for a couple of days and put the rest in the freezer.

lilyfield, Apr 17, 12:03am
let cool, slice and freeze

veejay13, Apr 17, 2:49am
That's my method too - quite easy to carefully prise off the required number of slices with a table knife and within an hour they've thawed and are just like fresh bread.

biggles45, Apr 17, 2:56am
Awesome, thanks. Will try freezing.

worzel6, Apr 17, 4:14am
a crushed up vitamin c tablet into the mix is supposed to act like a preservative.

kinna54, Apr 17, 4:24am
Bread maker bread doesn't keep long at all. Its not nice even the next day. I usually slice mine and straight into the freezer, easy to take out a few slices at a time and thaw. (If in a desperate hurry 1 min on low in the microwave.)
Or for toast just pop them straight in the toaster from frozen.
I have even made sandwiches from frozen slices, by lunchtime they are thawed and yummy, great in the hot weather.
Foccacia bread or any bread baked with milk powder and oil does keep a bit longer, but 2 days max.

wasgonna, Apr 17, 4:41am
That's odd as a basic loaf from my Panasonic is still fresh 3-4 days later. It is only kept in a plastic bag after cooling.

korbo, Apr 17, 4:59am
I have also never had a problem with breadmaker bread going stale.
Maybe after 2 days after lunches done, it then becomes toast, which I just love.so different in taste.

dibble35, Apr 17, 7:12am
I find its stale tasting about 24hrs after making, then good for toast only. Mind you it never lasts long enough to go stale, thick cut wedges of warm bread with butter - yum.

jnjh4, Apr 17, 7:15am
My loaves are gone the day they are baked - usually - I store in a clipit container

donna_jo29, Apr 17, 8:53am
def eat it straight away or next day