Edmonds cook book question

zuggle, Mar 23, 3:36am
My daughter wants to replace hers as it has been lost in transit. She says she had the "original". My understanding is that all of the latest ones still have "the original" recipes - is this right or not, please!

ange164, Mar 23, 3:39am
not the case. If I look in my mothers old one (still in pounds and ounces) there are some older fashioned recipes (and some current ones) and the recipes work better as when the conversions were made, they were made with a calculator not a cook and some did not translate well.
One example is Hokey pokey biscuits - the old version has a different method of combining the ingrediants that gets a good result, Then new version results in cakey soft biscuits that are not like the old ones. I wrote down the "good" recipe from mums book into my new one.

elliehen, Mar 23, 3:43am
The 1976 edition has measurements in both metric and imperial and is a good one to look out for.It also has a lot of the old favourites in it.

kinna54, Mar 23, 4:24am
Yep.I have that one.it is falling apart, but I won't part with it.and the new book is certainly different.(have that as well.)Has omitteda lot of the old favourites and even some of the re printed recipes are different.
PS another classic recipe that is now vastly different is Belgian Biscuits: Don't bother making the new recipe.

zuggle, Mar 23, 4:25am
Thank you both angel64 and elliehen. That's good to know.

lillol, Mar 23, 4:43am
I thought so. I have an old one which I love and a newish one. For some reason when I use the newish one something I make (can't remember what it is) just doesn't come out right.

davidt4, Mar 23, 4:49am
The Edmonds Cookery Book has always been a promotional tool for Edmonds, so the recipes change over the various editions to reflect whatever the company is producing.My edition is the 1978 one and it has a number of recipes that require Edmonds Tang (an orange-flavoured powder used to make a sweet drink) including a particularly horrible-sounding Chicken and Orange Casserole.Tang disappeared long ago and I don't imagine there are any recipes using it in recent editions.

It also has the infamous Quick Spaghetti Bolognese, which includes a packet of oxtail soup, cooked peas, an Oxo cube and a tin of spaghetti.Anyone know if that is in recent editions!

petal1955, Mar 23, 4:52am
I have my mother ones.1946 vintage.its an oldie.but definately a goodie

korbo, Mar 23, 7:21am
I may have an old one in the box in the shed. will look over the weekend.
any edition in particular you would like.!

zuggle, Mar 23, 7:43am
Any at this stage would be lovely thanks Korbo, but at age 29 she's used to cooking in metrics if you have such a one.

maximus44, Mar 23, 8:48am
I have an old one that is falling apart but I wouldn't part with it. I have looked at the new ones but would prefer to keep my old one.

stells3, Mar 23, 6:55pm
The new ones don't have the recipe to make boiled custard with an egg.Such a nice recipe if you have the time to stand there stirring.I too, have and old one and a newer one.The old one is missing it's cover and a few of the first pages, but is definitely my favourite.I think it's from the early 70's.

gardie, Mar 23, 6:58pm
Would you mind sharing the 'old' recipe!I've made these with poor results but had some last weekend that 'blewme socks off' and encouraged me to give them another go.Was going to do that today.

sikofstuf, Mar 23, 7:43pm
hmm I have about five different edmonds cook books, (all given to me) and one of the latest ones I have has a different banana cake in it- made it twice now- it is awful! Doesnt cook nicely like the others. The earlier books are the way to go I reckon! :-)

catlover28, Mar 23, 10:29pm
Ive got the 90s one which I use but Ive also got one called Edmonds Classics or something like that. Its got some of their older recipes in. Its got letters from people allover New zealand.

lodgelocum, Mar 23, 11:28pm
I've got the Edmonds Illustrated Collection (old Edmonds book in storage), which has got a collection of recipes from a range of previously published Edmonds Cookbooks.To Ang164, the Hokey Pokey biscuits in this new book, I think taste great, make them all the time for the grandies, and the gingerbread cake, which I cook in a loaf tin, is heaven, just tastes look an old fashioned ginger loaf.

floralsun, Mar 24, 3:13am
The original would have been in the early 1900's - about 1905!

ayglepaygle, Mar 24, 4:25am
Hi Ange164
Would you mind posting the old version of the Hokey Pokey biscuit recipe! I've got a newer version which isn't as good.
Thanks

elliehen, Mar 24, 6:06am
This is the 1976 version:
HOKEY POKEY BISCUITS
125 gm (4oz) butter
50 gm (2oz) sugar
1 dessertspoon milk
1 dessertspoon golden syrup
1 teaspoon Bicarb Soda
1&1/2 cups flour

Cream butter and sugar.Warm milk and syrup, add Bicarb Soda.Pour bubbly mixture into butter and sugar, then add flour.Roll into balls.Press with a fork.Bake on greased trays 15 to 20 minutes at 180*C (350*F).

baalamb, Mar 25, 4:42am
There is also a "Light as Air Sponge" that used to be in the older books, which disappeared from the book in more recent years.

I can understand, as an earlier poster stated, about recipes using Tang etc no longer being included, but cant see why some of the other golden oldies were taken out.
The Light as Air sponge was lovely - has a small amount of spice in it, very tasty!

gardie, Mar 27, 3:30am
Thanks elliehen - this is the one I have tried without much success.Just feel like baking biscuits to go with my cuppa tonight so may just have to give them another go.

korbo, Mar 27, 3:46am
Zuggle, I havent one, but will keep my eyes open if you still want one.!

korbo, Mar 27, 6:50pm
Hi juliewn, yep all is good. couldnt be better. been pretty busy doing preserves, of which i just love making.