Old davis gelatine recipe

jellabie, Jan 21, 2:48am
There used to be a recipe for lemon chiffon cake on the packets. Does anyone happen to have this please!It was to delicious and we have a glut of lemons.

harrislucinda, Jan 21, 3:30am
minehas abiscuitlogtheymighthave awebsite to look

elliehen, Jan 21, 4:16am
Here's one from the web made with 'Knox' gelatine, which is the USA equivalent.

LEMON CHIFFON ICE BOX CAKE
8 eggs, beaten separately
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 lemons, juice & rind
2 env. Knox gelatin
1/2 c. boiling water
1/2 c. cold water

Soften gelatin in cold water, then dissolve in boiling water; set aside to cool. Beat egg yolks slightly and combine with 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice and rind. Cook over double boiler, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and cool. After it has cooled combine with gelatin mixture. Beat egg whites until peaks form, gradually add remaining cup of sugar. Fold into lemon mixture and pour in 9"x12" pan which has been lined with crushed graham crackers. Top with crumbs also. Serve with whipped cream.

Edited to add: ice box = fridge; graham crackers = digestive biscuits

elliehen, Jan 21, 4:20am

lurtz, Jan 21, 4:25am
I have the 1970'sDavis Gelatine Recipe book. There is a Lemon Chiffon Pie in it, (filled pastry shell),but no L.C. cake. There is also a lemon flavoured cheesecake. If either of these soundfamiliar, I am happy to post the recipe. Pop a message in this thread and let me know. I'm off to a family BBQ tonight it may be tomorrow.

jellabie, Jan 21, 11:49am
this was actually more of a slice than a pie, it was made in a swiss roll tin and had a crushed biscuit bottom, then the lemon filling and after that was a meringue topping, ellie hens one sound very close, so close that I will make that instead!

jellabie, Jan 21, 11:32pm
my sister in law thinks it was whipped cream on top, not meringe