Went Blueberry Picking with the Kids today

ladyel, Jan 17, 3:44am
and now have 5kg of the suckers! Yummy, freeflow freezing some at present but would love a nice Muffin now. Please.

m41, Jan 17, 3:48am
oh yum lucky you wish we had that up here in Auckland i brought a 1kg frozen bag yesterday for $10 a 100g punnet is dam near $4 bucks up here and my kids eat them like lollies lucky you enjoy them fresh as you can buy them frozen and they tase bland i think :)

m41, Jan 17, 3:49am
do you happen to know if the farm sends out berriesin a large qty !

ladyel, Jan 17, 3:50am
$6 for pick your own a kg! Was a good day, and they didnt think to weigh the kids on the wayin or out so a bonus! lol So no idea on a good muffin recipe then!

ladyel, Jan 17, 3:51am
Ummm not sure, they also had working pickers and were boxing them in quite large amounts. Place is out past Ashhurst.

firemansgirl, Jan 17, 4:19am
Ingredients
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup Caster Sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp grated lemon rind
2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cups blueberries
Chelsea Icing Sugar to dust

Method
Preheat oven to 200°C
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until just combined and moistened. Don’t over mix or the muffins will be tough and not rise evenly.
Spoon into well greased, deep muffin tins. Bake for 15 – 18 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and dust with Chelsea icing sugar to serve.

From the Chelsea sugar website - I have made them before and they're yum!

ange164, Jan 17, 4:20am
Alison holst's one is the only blueberry muffin recipe I make now. It's exceptionally good.

2 cups flour, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup sugar, 100 grams butter, 1 cup milk, 1 large egg, 1 to 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries.

Cinnamon sugar:1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.

Heat oven to 220 degrees. Sieve first 5 ingredients into fairly large bowl. In another big bowl warm butter till just melted, then add milk and egg and beat to mix thoroughly. Prepare berries then tip the dry mixture and the berries into the liquids. Without overmixing fold all together. Flour should be dampened not smooth. Divide mixture into 12 regular muffin tins that have been greased or coated with non stick spray. Top with cinnamon sugar. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until cooked. I hope this is what you are looking for. It is out of simon and alison fav muffin and slices book.

ladyel, Jan 17, 4:26am
Oh That looks a good one! No lemons for the 1 above as looked at that also.

elliehen, Jan 17, 4:35am
If using frozen blueberries, Alison Holst has suggested poking them into the muffin mixture after it's in the pans to stop 'bleeding' caused by the mixing.

goose_91, Jan 17, 5:45am
OH tell me where please! Can't believe my luck that this is near me!

supercook, Jan 17, 6:08am
This is great recipe you can add any other fruit too if you don't have berries.

lodgelocum, Jan 17, 7:41am
Blueberry and Apple Shortcake also very nice.

cgvl, Jan 17, 8:53am
Just over the bridge at Raumai. I got some last year and they are divine, please leave me a few though.

ladyel, Jan 17, 7:43pm
Thats the sucker! Head towards Pahongania (sp) Valley. AND a heads up they DONT have eftpos!

pickles7, Jan 18, 4:24am
Bronwyn'sBlueberry Muffins.
2 cups of self raising flour
1 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp salt

mix together
2 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
125 grams melted butter
mix the wet into the dry
Add 1 & 1/2 cups of frozen blueberry's

Preheat oven to 200°C
bake 115 to 20 minutes
makes 12

pom-pom, Jan 18, 8:10am
Wonderful - Day trip tomorrow!

pom-pom, Jan 18, 8:48am
found this on the PYO site

Blue Acres - blueberries,
201 Pohangina Valley East Road Ashhurst, Palmerston North, North Island 4884. Phone: 021400397. Open: Daily from 9 to 3 all of January. Directions: From Palmerston North, drive through Ashhurst up Pohangina Valley Raod for 8kms. Turn right into Pohangina Valley East Road which is sign posted with 'blueberry' signs indicating where to go. Click here for a map and directions. Payment: Cash, only. Price is $6 per kg and the berries are spray free. (ADDED: January 06, 2012)

nik12, Jan 18, 10:50am
+3 for allyson holsts recipe. but I've only had frozen berries!
I was laughing at the weighing the kids in and out - when I was 6 we went strawberry picking and we were told not too eat too many as they would know. Apparently I piped up and said how will they know!! Mum said they will weigh you - I said, well they didn't weigh us on the way in!