Blueberry Recipes

bev00, Jan 13, 9:16am
I make a GF friand mixture by Jo Segar in a slice tin and top with blueberries.

marcs (52 52 positive feedback) 12:19 am, Fri 13 Sep #3
From NZ Blueberries
http://www.blueberriesnz.co.nz/Recipes/mixed_berry_terrine.h tml Quote
cookessentials (1219 1219 positive feedback) 11:32 am, Fri 13 Sep #6
From Bay Blueberries. Christmas pies. You could use a wheat free option for cases to put this delicious sounding filling in to.
http://www.bayblueberries.co.nz/recipes.html
cookessentials (1219 1219 positive feedback) 11:33 am, Fri 13 Sep #7
Fresh - just eat them with other berries. Frozen - I just put them into smoothies.

Edited to add that I think that the best benefit is achieved from the raw berry. I do make other items with them; things like blueberry mousse. But I doubt you and most other posters in here would think that a recipe involving raw eggs, raw cream, gelatine and dark chocolate would be considered healthy.

buzzy110 (73 73 positive feedback) 11:42 am, Fri 13 Sep #8

I make up the recipe using a good quality Callebaut dark chocolate. DH just loves it. Usually I use raspberries blended in a small blender till the seeds no longer exist, but I've also used blueberries.

buzzy110 (73 73 positive feedback) 4:26 pm, Fri 13 Sep #11
If any of you are ever in Cambridge, there's Monavale Organic Blueberries
http://www.monavaleblueberries.co.nz/online-shop/fresh/ or you can buy online from them

cookessentials (1219 1219 positive feedback) 5:07 pm, Fri 13 Sep #12
Ready in 15 minutes, plus draining and chilling time Serves 4-6
This caramelised yoghurt cream is at its peak when the brown sugar has melted but the demerara sugar on top is still crunchy.
Ingredients:
375ml plain, unsweetened Greek-style yoghurt; 200ml cream; ½ cup soft brown sugar; ¼ cup demerara sugar; 1 punnet raspberries; 1 punnet blueberries; 1 punnet strawberries; 8 Brazil nuts, thinly sliced
Method:
1 Drain yoghurt in a large sieve lined with paper towels for 30 minutes. Carefully peel yoghurt off paper, scraping it into a bowl. Whip cream until stiff, then fold into bowl of yoghurt. Transfer to a shallow dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar, then sprinkle with demerara sugar. There should be a nice thick coating of sugar on top. Cover yoghurt cream with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8-12 hours.

2 1 hour before serving, put raspberries and blueberries in a bowl. Hull strawberries, slice and add to bowl. Stir gently, cover and refrigerate.

3 Spoon berries into glasses, then top with scoops of yoghurt cream. Scatter with sliced Brazil nuts and serve.

Quotekiwitrish (221 ) 8:03 am, Sun 13 Jan #3

bev00, Jan 13, 11:23am
White Chocolate Cheesecake with Blueberry Sauce.

90g butter, melted
200g digestive biscuits, crushed
400g cream cheese
250g white chocolate
375ml cream

1) Mix together the crushed biscuits and melted butter and press into the base of a loose-bottomed cake tin. Chill until set.
2) Melt the white chocolate, allow it to cool slightly, blend in the cream cheese.
3) Whip the cream, fold into the chocolate and cheese mixture.
4) Pour onto the biscuit base, chill for at least 2 hours.

Blueberry Sauce

200 g blueberries
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp water

Heat all the ingredients in a pot on medium heat until the blueberries have broken down, and the liquid has reduced to the required consistency.

Slice the cheesecake, and serve with the blueberry sauce. Serves 12.

Edited by hestia at 1:56 pm, Mon 27 Dec

hestia (661 661 positive feedback) 1:55 pm, Mon 27 Dec #5

janeny1, Jan 13, 9:25pm
BLUEBERRY JAM

3 cooking apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped or coarsely grated
3 cups Blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup Lemon juice
4 cups Sugar

Put apples, blueberries and lemon juice into a preserving pan. Boil until fruit is soft. Add sugar, stir until dissolved. Boil briskly for 20 mins or until setting point is reached. Pour into sterilised jars makes about 4 x 350ml jars
, you can also try adding a splash of lime or a small pinch of cinnamon. you can serve hot over french vanilla ice cream. (with some grated chocolate of course)

tahnasha, Oct 23, 10:44am
I have about 8kg of fresh blueberries sitting in my fridge that I picked today. I'm in Queensland, so season is just finishing. I've had them coming out of my ears for the last six months (not literally LOL), as we get given half a kilo every day when we leave work and I'm running out of ideas on how to use them. I've already got about 3kg in the freezer. Does anyone have a nice no bake cheesecake recipe. I've got one that uses strawberry yoghurt, but I dont know how to adjust it? Would I just use plain yoghurt and add blueberries? Or would it be better to use a glazed blueberries over the top?

Does anyone have any nice cake recipes or anything! What other things go with blueberries? We don't like nuts in our house. Thank you for your ideas.

maynard9, Oct 23, 10:51am
Why do you feel you need to use them all up as fresh.

Why not freeflow freeze some and use later. I do this and put them in ice cream containers and have a supply all year. Do about 30 kgs worth and they last all year.
We use them on our cereal/porridge every morning, smoothies, muffins etc

245sam, Oct 23, 11:24am
tahnasha, I usually make unbaked cheesecakes but a blueberry version is one I haven't made so can I tempt you with this baked version which one of my 'dislikes all cheesecake' brothers was tempted to try and promptly told me that I have to make it following again! - he enjoyed it so much that he had seconds and it may have even been a third helping. It's very easy to make and so delicious.

BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE SLICE
1 x 240g packet chocolate chip biscuits, crushed
65g butter, melted

Line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper with an overhang on all sides.
Mix the biscuits with the butter, and press into the base of the tin. Chill while preparing the

Filling:
500g cream cheese, at room temperature
¾ cup each of caster sugar and cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Place the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy, then beat in the cream and eggs to combine. Pour the mixture over the crumb base, then scatter the surface with the blueberries.
Bake at 160ºC (fan-bake 140ºC) for 45 minutes, or until just set in the middle.
Cool, then remove from the tin and cut into squares.
Serves 8.
From:- http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food/recipes/blueberry-cheesecake-slice/

245sam, Oct 23, 6:56pm
oops, when I reread the above the first part of my above post it doesn't make complete sense, so I'll try again.

tahnasha, I usually make unbaked cheesecakes but a blueberry version is one I haven't made so can I tempt you with this baked version which when I made it for a family get-together, one of my 'dislikes all cheesecake' brothers was tempted to try and promptly told me that I have to make it again! - he enjoyed it so much that he had seconds and it may have even been a third helping. It's very easy to make and so delicious.

A couple of suggestions for " What other things go with blueberries?". chocola-
te (white or brown) and/or lemon. :-))

lodgelocum, Oct 23, 7:15pm
Apple and blueberry shortcake or a sponge for dessert?

valentino, Oct 23, 8:37pm
I quite often use Blueberries only in the following recipe.

Can use fresh or frozen and note 2 measures, blackberry could be Blueberries and Mixed berries could be Blueberries also though is nice with a slight assortment of berries.

Jam can be blackberry or any berry including blueberry.

It also can be frozen ready to thaw, reheat and serve.

Blackberry Pudding

3 eggs
½ cup caster sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
¾ cup self-raising flour
1 tsp butter
¼ cup boiling water
1/3 cup caster sugar extra
½ cup water
300g frozen blackberries
500g frozen mixed berries
¼ cup blackberry jam.

Preheat oven to 180c.
Grease 25cm X 30cm swiss roll dish, line with baking paper.
Beat eggs in small bowl with electric beaters until thick and creamy.
Gradually add sugar – 1 tbsp at a time beating until sugar dissolves between each addition.
Transfer to large bowl.
Fold triple – sifted flours into the egg mixture.
Pour combined butter and boiling water down side of bowl, fold into mixture.
Pour mixture into baking dish, bake uncovered about 15 minutes.
Turn onto wire rack to cool.
Meanwhile, place extra sugar and water in medium saucepan, bring to the boil.
Stir in fruit, return to the boil.
Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until fruit thaws.
Strain over medium bowl, reserve liquid and berries separately.
Line a 1-litre (4 cup) pudding basin with plastic wrap, extending wrap 10cm over side of basin.
Cut a circle of cake slightly smaller than top edge of basin. Cut another circle the same size as the base of basin. Cut remaining cake into 10cm pieces, place small circle into base of basin and use pieces to line the side of basin. Pour 2/3 cup of the reserved syrup into small jug, reserve.
Fill basin with berries, cover with remaining syrup, top with large cake circle.
Cover pudding with overhanging plastic wrap, weight pudding with saucer, refrigerate 5 hours or overnight.
Stir jam and 2 tbsp of reserved syrup in small saucepan until heated through.
Turn pudding onto serving plate, brush with remaining reserved syrup then jam mixture. Serve with whipped cream or a nice creamy white sauce.

davidt4, Oct 23, 8:38pm
Baked Rhubarb and Blueberries (Nigel Slater)

serves 2 - 3

240g rhubarb
200g blueberries
2 tab caster sugar
2 tab water

Set oven to 160C. Cut rhubarb into short lengths, put in ovenproof dish, add rest of ingredients.

Bake uncovered 40 - 60 min until soft and juicy.

Serve warm or chilled

valentino, Oct 23, 8:38pm
Which raises a Jam.

Blueberry Jam is lovely.

davidt4, Oct 23, 8:39pm
Nut butter Muffins (gluten free)

1 c nut butter (almond, cashew, coconut)
1 c blueberries
2 small bananas, mashed
2 large eggs, beaten
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cider vinegar

Heat oven to 180C. Butter 12 hole muffin tin.

Make nut butter if necessary. Whizz in a food processor until completely smooth. Add bananas and eggs, pulse to incorporate.

Add baking powder and vinegar, mix well.

Remove dough from processor and carefully fold in the blueberries.

Spoon into muffin tin, bake 10 minutes.

davidt4, Oct 23, 8:39pm
Cherimoya & Blueberries with Limoncello & Custard (Al Brown)

serves 6

500 ml cream
seeds from a vanilla pod
3 egg yolks
½ c sugar
6 ripe cherimoya
1 c fresh blueberries
⅓ c mint leaves
juice of 2 limes
2 nips Sovrano Limoncello

Make the custard with the cream, vanilla, egg yolks and sugar. Strain and chill.

Quarter the cherimoya and remove skin and pips. Cut flesh into large chunks. and mix carefully with remaining ingredients.

Serve with custard.

davidt4, Oct 23, 8:40pm
Fresh blueberries are a lovely addition to a salad.

valentino, Oct 23, 8:45pm
Another Berry recipe where only Blueberries can be used and can use a bit more than the required measure, it is lovely.

Berry, Polenta and Orange Cake
For the Cake;
½ Cup vegetable oil
3 size 7 eggs
¾ cup castor sugar
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
1 1/3 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup ground almond (note that at Pak’n’save have pams 70g packets – 1 packet will suffice)
2/3 cup instant polenta
Pinch of salt
2 cups mixed frozen berries. (Can use fresh or frozen blueberries, even 3 cups plus can be used.).

For the Topping;
Juice of one orange
1/3 cup castor sugar.

To serve;
Thick plain yoghurt or mascarpone.

4 Cup capacity Loaf tin greased and base and sides lined with baking paper, best to cut each section separately and overlap all edges. Find it is great if paper comes up an extra inch or so above the sides, just gives it a nicer finish.

Preheat oven to 150`C.

Beat the oil, eggs, castor sugar and the orange zest and juice together for at least 5 minutes.
Sift flour and baking powder and combine with almonds, polenta and salt.
Using a large metal spoon, fold in the dry ingredients into liquid mixture ensuring no pockets of flour in the batter.
Pour half of batter into prepared loaf tin, then scatter half of berries (pushing the bigger ones down just a wee bit).
Top this with remaining batter and the then the remaining berries with the berries being evenly across the top.
Bake for at least 70 minutes then check regularly with a skewer until the skewer comes out clean with a minute bit of damp crumb attached, another good sign is that the very middle top of loaf is just cooked.

Topping;
Stir the orange juice and sugar together then while the cake is still hot and the paper edges are still fully upright on all edges, spoon it evenly over the top of cake.
It will set into a lovely crispy sugary topping when the cake is cool.

To Serve;
Lift the cake out of the tin and peel off all paper. Cut into thick slices top with a spoonful of yoghurt or mascarpone.

tahnasha, May 13, 7:06pm
Thank you I will try this one, I've never made a baked cheesebake before, but this looks pretty easy.

Thank you everyone else for all your ideas. I don't think I've ever seen rhubarb in Queensland, I'm sure you can get it somewhere.