250g halved glace cherries
1/2 c brandy
250 g butter
1 c brown sugar firmly packed
5 eggs
2 c plain flour
1 t mixed spice
2 T brandy extra

Line base and sides of deep 23 cm round cake pan with 3 layers of paper.
Combine currants, cherries and brandy in large bowl. Cream butter and sugar only until combined. Add eggs quickly, one at a time, beating only until combined between each addition. Stir into fruit mixture then stir in the sifted flour and spice.
Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan and bake in a slow oven for about 2 1/2 hours
Brush with extra brandy, cover tightly with foil and leave to cool in pan.
Keeping time: 3 months.

gardie, Sep 12, 6:06pm
Nice to see this thread again!How did everyone's cakes turn out last year!

mattdylan, Sep 12, 9:20pm
Mine was Amazing! Thank you so much for the recipe Gardie, will be making agian this year :)

cgvl, Sep 12, 10:34pm
hmm finaly finished ours a few weeks ago.
I soak the fruit for around a week in whisky or brandy before I make the cake. It keeps extremely well.
May make one this year but probably not as I find we dont eat it any more

griffo4, Sep 12, 10:43pm
l just read through it to remind myself what l made last year
l have been thinking about getting some things together to start making them

bea2, Sep 12, 11:17pm
I too will try your recipe Gardie.
I am and oldie and always make my wedding or fruit cakes with separate fruits not mixed cake fruit, Like sultanas, currants, peel etcIt has a much better flavour. I never use pineapple beacuse it doesn't keep as well. But of course with Fridges it may be different.
I also grate whole nutmeg separately from mixed spice. And of course
Vodka or Brandy.
cook till the smell permeates the house then give it amost 1/2 to one hour longer.I wrap my cakes in a linen cloth when they are cold
Just thought these few ideas would be of benefit. I have made 100's of cakes, but now am well past it. One day I might post my wedding cake recipe it is a beauty. All the best for your cakes.

jenjen76, Sep 13, 6:11am
I made our cake last weekend using Delia Smith's recipe, which hasn't failed me the last three christmas's.Even once got asked if I got the cake from Selfridges or Harrods.lol.Think the secret is giving it a good feeding of brandy, and making it nice and early so it can mature. Can't add too much this year cos I will be breastfeeding.though may be good to get babies to sleep! :-)

griffo4, Sep 13, 6:16am
Bea2 would you kindly post your recipe it sounds like a good one
Your hints are interesting, obviously you have a feel for baking and not have to stick to a recipe and cooking times like me

bea2, Sep 14, 3:39am
griffo4yesI would love to share my recipe with you and will find someway to commuicate with you. I am in myold age of 90s now and it is a major task to write the recipe out. It is a very large recipe, easy to do, it is called My Three Tiered Wedding cake and a really grand fruit cake.in a day or two I shall post a more smaller recipeand will put it under a new thread.
I am going to follow gardies recipe, it sounds yummy best wishes to you all

fifie, Sep 14, 5:39am
Wow time flys, getting near cake baking time again. Last year i made gardies recipe kept it wrapped in a clean towel for 6 wks in the pantry and for a change glazed it with nice nuts and cherries, it was beautiful and moist, ive made heaps of different recipes to , Bea2 how wonderful at your age you are still baking, its a art never forgotten baking and icing these cakes, good for you.

bea2, Sep 14, 8:47am
Yes, I will post my three- tier wedding cake. It is a very old recipe .cannot do it just nowBut have enjoyed this recipe page. One is never too old to learn and i love baking. I will start a new thread when I post it.I am not over confident with Mr Computer, but we get there. Mean time here is a super Pikelet recipe.
mix in a bowl :-1 cup flour,1/4 cup sugar.
Beat together1 egg.+small cup milk(less milk than flour)
blend all together making a good thick batter and beat well.
Melt in a small pot,:--a good tablespn G/Syrup and a walnut size knob of butter. melt it,dont boil it , then stir in 2 good tea/spnsbake/ powder, mix into the batter and let stand for a few minutes. do not stir again.Cookusual way for pikelets.this makes about 15. depends on the size you make them.

griffo4, Sep 14, 8:58am
Thank you bea2 for posting the pikelets recipe and l look forward to your 3 tier cake recipe
You are an inspiration getting to grips with a computer and look forward to more of your posts
Gardie's recipe is really nice and l will make it again this year along with other ones

bea2, Sep 15, 2:19am
Very Rich Boozy Fruit cake( true to title )
Put into a large Pot:--
1 lb Raisins2 ozs chopped nuts (Pecan or )
2 ozs chopped cherries,2 ozs choppedPrunes
8 ozs currants4 ozs mixed peel
1 teaspn vanilla essence
2 teaspns bitters1 table dark suger
2 teaspns mixed spice1/2 teaspn salt
3 table spoons each of the following :-- Brandy,Rum,Cherry brandy,Port .Water .
Mix all together put on LOW HEAT for just 15 minutes, JUST TO HEAT.and stir . only has to just heat dont dare leave it.
Put in glass bowl in your fridge and leave 5 days before you make the cake
on 6 days later.
9 ozs. flour9 ozs butter9 ozs Demara sugar5 eggs.
beat this all together in mixer at once, then add the fruit mixture mix well.
Bake in a well lined tin 150*c3 - 4 hours till cooked
As stated VERY Rich and VERY Boozy.
cut very small pieces to serve. for those who like this, it is super. I Don't think it would be a great keeper, which ever way you look at it.
I have made this on request only 3 times. Quite expensive to make, and oh so very ,well, you know what . Lovely

griffo4, Sep 15, 5:55am
WOW that sounds really nice but one question what are bitters!
lt sound rich and very nice l will be giving that one a go

Oh and what size tin please and thanks for posting

nauru, Sep 15, 7:02am
Bev00.Do you know if this recipe is from AWW cake book!If it is it's avery good recipe as I've made it a few times.It sounds the same but can't check as I lent my copy to my neighbour.
Bea2.It's just wonderful to hear that you still enjoy baking, reminds me of my Granny around the same age who still did her own baking every week.Your boozy cake recipe sounds like a good one too.

rrrg, Sep 15, 7:48am
Do you all store your cakes in the fridge!

gardie, Sep 15, 8:10am
My recipe states to store in the fridge however it does store OK in a cool place.You can also freeze it.The recipe is based on one I found while living in Townsville - the heat there meant it was better to be safe in the fridge than mouldy!

bea2, Sep 15, 9:09am
Bitters are, as their name suggest, a bitter or bittersweet type of spirit made from different herbs, roots and plants. Bitters are used to flavor and add a dry zest to cocktails and cooking. Because of their function as a digestive aid and appetite stimulant bitters are often used in before- and after dinner cocktails (aperitifs and digestifs).
When using bitters in cocktails it is important to be cautious as a little too much can ruin the cocktail. Generally, bitters also have a high alcohol content and should never be used in non-alcoholic drinks.
You can buy at your bottle store. never overuse it , I mean' DONT'put in that extra one for the road
I think I used a 22 or 24 cm tin. but of course I line my tins well. and I allow for that
As for storing a rich fruit cake depends on what you have in it. If you use Pineapple or raw fruit, then it should be kept in a fridge. Best to wrap it ina cotton cloth. A very rich cake takes about 4 weeks to really cool down before it is iced.

nauru, Sep 15, 10:55am
Bea2, I take it you are talking about Angostura Bitters.

griffo4, Sep 15, 10:24pm
Thank you Bea for that info l will look into it when l go to town next
l will use my wooden cake box and line that as usual
Thanks heaps

bea2, Sep 17, 3:40am
Nauru, sorry about delay in reply. I have a wee difficulty getting to computer . can walk abit some days. but not to worry the sun is shining today

doug64, Oct 21, 7:09am
Nagging the wife to get going.Can't leave it too late. Won't have enough brandy in it

gardie, Oct 21, 7:34am
Haha - mine is already being stored - feijoa flavoured 42 below this year - and there's plenty I can assure you!Usually do it labour weekend but did it last weekend seen as how I was on holiday.

nfh1, Oct 21, 7:39am
Perhaps you should take over the job - all that tasting the mixture and testing the brandy could be fun!

dorothy_vdh, Oct 21, 8:02am
usually make ours labour weekend, but won't be able too this weekend, so maybe next