Cheese making.

Page 1 / 2
johnhb, Oct 4, 2:24am
Courtesy of our wonderful son, I am now the proud owner of a "Mad Milie" cheese making kit! Purchased via Trade Me, no less.
As per recommendations, I decided to start with the easy one: Quark! (that's the name of the cheese, in case anyone's curious.)
Following instructions- heating the litre of milk in the microwave- adding the starter culture (I actually did that the wrong way round & added the culture prior to the microwave exercise, but whatever.), I left it all overnight and all appeared to be going to plan, until.I ended up with the mass of solidified milk product in the muslin bag. I then attempted to squeeze out all the moisture, presuming I would end up with a ball of said Quark.
Q: Is that what you're supposed to do (squeeze out all the moisture!)

Further question, does it all have to be refrigerated immediately!
I find the kit gets you so far, and no further. Is there a help line or group set up- anywhere for us amateur cheese makers as we wend our way across the uncharted plains.
cheers! (or should I say "cheese".)
and PLEASE DON'T TELL ME TO GO BACK TO MY DAY JOB! I REALLY WANT TO GET INTO CHEESEMAKING!

davidt4, Oct 4, 2:58am
Try again, and follow the instructions.In particular:

1.Heat the milk to the correct temperature THEN add the starter
2.After the cheese has thickened pour it into the muslin-lined colander and leave to drain.Do not squeeze it.
3.I drain quark for about 5 hours to get a spreadable texture.
4.Refrigerate as soon as it has reached the texture you like.

There is a huge amount of information on the internet, also several books devoted to home cheese-making.Learn as much as you can - it all helps.

johnhb, Oct 4, 4:07am
thanks davidt4. would have been helpful I think if they'd considered all that and added it to the instructions. Will start again and do another batch- of course I had also squeezed the water out. because it didn't say not to.
Ah well. back to the drawing board

nzl99, Oct 4, 5:26am
I don't know anything about it at all (beyond making my own ricotta at work) but would be interested to know how you get on with this kit. :-)

johnhb, Oct 4, 5:35am
will keep you all posted.

suzanna, Oct 4, 10:02am
Hi if you use the search function and key in Ashanti and within the last year you will find hours of incredibly informative postings. Ashanti is absolutely a fountain of cheese making knowledge and I'm sure you will find most info or indeed not all you are looking for. I certainly owe Ashanti much for her contribution to my cheese-making journey.

ferita, Oct 4, 5:34pm
I make my own mozzarella in the microwave . man its easy and yum

johnhb, Oct 4, 6:01pm
Hi Ferita-

how!
John

johnhb, Oct 5, 9:00pm
Did the obvious & YouTubed how to make mozarella- some really good and simple video out there! Now to get the time.

jed, Oct 5, 9:19pm
Made the mozzerella but found it didn't have a lot of taste.Put the cheese salt in the cold water as suggested.Would you get more flavour if you put the salt into the hot water while stretching.Or even into the first step while heating!What do you all do!TIA

davidt4, Oct 6, 2:04am
If you make the quick version of mozzarella (take about an hour and uses citric acid) you don't get much flavour development, but the cheese has a nice fresh milky taste.The original way of making it takes about 24 hours and involves culturing the milk with a starter; some versions require lipase as well.That version has a riper and more complex flavour.

johnhb, Oct 8, 3:12am
So which is the BEST & EASIEST/ QUICKEST way to make mozarella- for a beginner!

johnhb, Oct 8, 8:09am
huh!

nzl99, Oct 9, 8:34am
We made Haloumi today. friggen great for a first go. Inside texture a little crumbly. but the flavour was brilliant. fried up lovely. although not at all melty. a little refining needed but how exciting!

deus701, Oct 9, 4:38pm
haven't you seen the cheese ad! "good things takes time" .same like men.
Btw, where can I get tasting samples!

prawn_whiskas, Oct 9, 7:00pm
Halloumi does not melt.That's the point of it.It fries up with a lovely crisp shell (especially if you put a little butter in the pan first) and maintains a solid texture that squeaks on your teeth as you eat it.That's Halloumi.

Your texture would have been crumbly because you broke the curds up too much during the cooking of the curds (cut the curd too small, too rough with the curd, too much stirringof the curd) My curds maintain about a 1" uniform appearance right up until they go into the cheese mould.So mine are maintaining their moisture content, your's are not.Try being very gentle with them next time.

vmax2, Oct 9, 10:17pm
My halloumi curd is quite different prawn-whiskas.Quite small.I think the secret is in the pressing - 10kg for 10litres and keeping it there for 30 minutes or so.If it's not pressed right it will disintegrate.

prawn_whiskas, Oct 9, 10:28pm
I press mine at 5kg for 2ltrs for 1 hour (I make smaller batches as I am the only one who eats it) I find the smaller the curd the harder/crumblier the cheese - the cheese manuals I have also confirm this.For a soft fresh cheese the curd should remain large so as to retain a lot of the moisture.

And this reminds me I should be putting a batch on to gel now!

davidt4, Oct 9, 10:53pm
I'm with P-W on this one.I cut the curds to about 1 cm, leave to heal 5 min, stir gently 10 min, drain 5 min then press 2 hours with about 5 kg weight.I've never had any problems with this method.

I'm sorry to report however that the haloumi that I stored in the fridge dry-salted went off after two weeks - it got a bit yellow in patches and smelt stale.I think I'll freeze it from now on.

vmax2, Oct 9, 11:01pm
I cut my curd to 1cm too.Have you tried storing the halloumi in a brine!I then store it in the fridge and it lasts for ages.I get my recipe from Katherine Mowbray's recipe book.

davidt4, Oct 9, 11:42pm
I've tried storing it in 15% brine but it went slimy after about ten days.What percentage brine do you use vmax2!

beaker59, Oct 9, 11:53pm
Just for the Cheese makers :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=-xLUEMj6cwA

vmax2, Oct 9, 11:53pm
After making the halloumi use the whey to make riccots adding 1Tbsp of salt and 40ml of vinegar when it reaches 85 - 90 C.Skin off the ricotta.To make the brine use half a litre of the whey left, half a litre of boiling water and 100g salt.Once brine and cheese are cold pack it into a lidded container.The vinegar would probably make it less slimy.I know when I make feta I store it in brine and after a few days add some vinegar so it doesn't go slimy.

prawn_whiskas, Oct 9, 11:53pm
Yep I eat mine within a few days (smaller batches) so its ideal for me to store it this way, not to salty that way, even after one day in brine I cant eat it. Prefer the fresh sweet taste to the salty.

davidt4, Oct 10, 12:24am
Okay, that's a 10% brine.Maybe mine was too salty.I did use vinegar to acidify it.

I store my feta in olive oil after 12 - 15 hours in a 15% brine.It keeps well that way and doesn't get increasingly salty.