Cheese making.

Page 2 / 2
vmax2, Oct 10, 12:28am
How much olive oil do you use!My feta is very salty but the way around that is to soak it in plain water before you are going to use it.Have looked at feta in olive oil recipes and thought that it would be a very expensive way to go.

prawn_whiskas, Oct 10, 12:43am
\

It doesn't use a great deal of oil though.The last preserving jar I did only used about 200ml of Oil.

davidt4, Oct 10, 1:03am
I bought some plastic lidded boxes that are just the right size to hold the cheeses, so it doesn't take too much oil to cover the feta.I re-use the storage oil when a cheese is finished by using it in a dressing for the Greek salad that I often make, or by frying in it.All in all the oil doesn't get wasted, and it picks up a nice feta flavour.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 10, 1:55am

davidt4, Oct 10, 2:49am
16/21 for me.Quite obscure questions, especially the English cheese varieties.

nzl99, Oct 10, 6:10pm
Thanks PW. normally you get a little softening of the edges with the cheese during frying. I shouldn't have said melty, that's not what I actually ment. just a slight give really. anywho, thaks for your advice on the curds. and to Vmax. will certainly take that info on board!

prawn_whiskas, Oct 10, 7:00pm
Ok your problem is solely down to the curds being too small and hard then. I nearly took a photo of my pot of curds yesterday for you but then got distracted! once cut and allowed to heal and once you get into the cooking of the curd (very gently) they should end up looking like soft edged cubes anywhere from 1cm-1inch square.Next time I make a batch (which will be in a few days) I will take a photo and post it so you can see.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 10, 1:55am
Here's a cheese quiz - and tell us your score. I know diddly-squat about cheese but managed 12/21!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/quiz/2011/sep/27/cheese-quiz

bev00, Oct 10, 12:08pm
A good thread to save for the cheese making archives.