Christmas Cake - only currants and cherries

bluetigerrr, Aug 14, 3:09am
OMG, this is kinda crazy but . I used to have this recipe from an NZ magazine (WW I think) that only used currants and cherries as the sole dried fruit in it! It was so so easy to make but had the most delicious moist texture and beautiful taste. Would anyone possibly have this recipe! It's getting close to thinking about Christmas cooking and I'm feeling homesick already . can anyone help me! - with the recipe I mean . the homesickness I'll just have to figure out myself :(

lindylambchops1, Aug 14, 4:32am
MMMmmmm that is a tricky one.bumping for you

jessie981, Aug 14, 5:40am

indy95, Aug 14, 5:46am
Bluetigerrr, I don't know whether this is the one you want but it comes from the AWW Cakes and Slices Book. I haven't made it but the AWW recipes are always reliable.

Currant Cherry Cake

1 kg currants
250g halved glace cherries
1/2 c brandy
250 g butter
1 c brown sugar firmly packed
5 eggs
2 c plain flour
1 t mixed spice
2 T brandy extra

Line base and sidesof deep 23 cm round cake pan with 3 layers of paper.
Combine currants, cherries and brandy in large bowl. Cream butter and sugar only until combined. Add eggs quickly, one at a time, beating only until combined between each addition. Stir in sifted flour and spice.
Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan and bake in a slow oven for about 2 1/2 hours
Brush with extra brandy, cover tightly with foil and leave to cool in pan.
Keeping time: 3 months.

lindylambchops1, Aug 14, 6:37am
Yummmmm.that sounds nice for a change.Will copy & paste that thanks!

kinna54, Aug 14, 10:51am
there used to be an old womans weekly cookbook one that used its own mix of currants, sultanas, raisins, and cherries. I think from memory there where 2 mixes, pound or half pound cake. It was a recipe my mum used. Had a load of brandy. searching thru my recipes now, hope I can find it and post for you.

kinna54, Aug 15, 10:41am
Aha! Just found another one called simnel cake!Sound promising. ,Can post if required.

bluetigerrr, Sep 11, 2:57am
Hi Everyone that helped here,
Many thanks for all your replies but . YES! It is the one that indy95 provided :) I'm so so happy (many thanks to you 'specially indy95 for actually finding it - that's a great recipe book btw but I'd forgotten where it came from of course), it makes such a great moist cake and is the most totally unfiddly Christmas Cake I've ever made. I remember making it for the very first time and there were all these women coming up to me and asking for the recipe, thinking that it must have required a lot of time to get it so moist by Christmas Day but I made it only 5 days beforehand. I usually add a thick brandy icing . even some kids ate it (cos it had no nuts in). I have no idea why it works but it definitely does. I even made it once for someone who could not have alcohol and I just substituted the half cup of brandy with a whole small bottle of brandy essence and orange juice. Turned out perfect.

indy95, Sep 11, 9:35pm
Glad to hear the cake was such a success bluetigerrr. I often use that book for my own baking and to provide recipes other people request as I know every recipe in it isabsolutely reliable.

bluetigerrr, Sep 12, 2:57am
Hi Everyone that helped here,
Many thanks for all your replies but . YES! It is the one that indy95 provided :) I'm so so happy (many thanks to you 'specially indy95 for actually finding it - that's a great recipe book btw but I'd forgotten where it came from of course), it makes such a great moist cake and is the most totally unfiddly Christmas Cake I've ever made. I remember making it for the very first time and there were all these women coming up to me and asking for the recipe, thinking that it must have required a lot of time to get it so moist by Christmas Day but I made it only 5 days beforehand. I usually add a thick brandy icing . even some kids ate it (cos it had no nuts in). I have no idea why it works but it definitely does. I even made it once for someone who could not have alcohol and I just substituted the half cup of brandy with a whole small bottle of brandy essence and orange juice. Turned out perfect.

bluetigerrr, Aug 14, 3:09am
OMG, this is kinda crazy but . I used to have this recipe from an NZ magazine (WW I think) that only used currants and cherries as the sole dried fruit in it! It was so so easy to make but had the most delicious moist texture and beautiful taste. Would anyone possibly have this recipe! It's getting close to thinking about Christmas cooking and I'm feeling homesick already . can anyone help me! - with the recipe I mean . the homesickness I'll just have to figure out myself :(

indy95, Aug 14, 5:46am
Bluetigerrr, I don't know whether this is the one you want but it comes from the AWW Cakes and Slices Book. I haven't made it but the AWW recipes are always reliable.

Currant Cherry Cake

1 kg currants
250g halved glace cherries
1/2 c brandy
250 g butter
1 c brown sugar firmly packed
5 eggs
2 c plain flour
1 t mixed spice
2 T brandy extra

Line base and sidesof deep 23 cm round cake pan with 3 layers of paper.
Combine currants, cherries and brandy in large bowl. Cream butter and sugar only until combined. Add eggs quickly, one at a time, beating only until combined between each addition.Stir into fruit mixture then stir in the sifted flour and spice.
Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan and bake in a slow oven for about 2 1/2 hours
Brush with extra brandy, cover tightly with foil and leave to cool in pan.
Keeping time: 3 months.