Healthy Leek recipes please ...

Page 1 / 2
garden_art, Jul 24, 9:02am
Yes, I know leeks in white sauce are absolutely yum! BUT does anyone have any ideas for using leeks in healthy recipes that a family would like?Thanks.

countrybumpkinz, Jul 24, 9:06am
leek and potato soup?

garden_art, Jul 24, 9:11am
Thanks but made Leek and Potato soup from a proper recipe and it didn't go down well with anyone except me - apparently it was bland ;-(

gemini007, Jul 24, 9:54am
Okay I got this recipe from a lady at work - it's from an English cookbook, so I basically skipped the first part and just used fresh smoked fish - will work equally well with tinned fish.It sounds really odd - particularly the poached egg bit, but it's yummy - mr 10 and mr 5 myself and DH really liked it - only mr 8 (who is fussy at the best of times) did rate it.Give it a go:

SMOKED HADDOCK and PEA RISOTTO
4 x 142g/5oz smoked haddock fillets
1.2 litres/2pt fish stock
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 large leek, washed and finely chopped
255g/9oz dried risotto rice
397g/14oz fresh or frozen peas
100g/3 ½ Oz fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
4 large eggs

1.Place the haddock in a large saucepan of water and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat and a1low the fish to sit in the water, covered, for 12-15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2.Bring the stock to the boil in a large pan over a medium heat, then turn the heat down as low as It will go to keep the stock hot but without letting it reduce.
3.Place 198ml/7fl oz of the warmed stock in another large pan, add the onion and leek and cook for 3-4 minutes until they have softened. Add the rice and stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the peas and spinach.
4.Pour in the hot stock, a ladleful at a time, and keep stirring until each ladleful is absorbed. Keep adding the stock, stirring as often as possible until the rice is al dente (tender but still retaining a bite) — this should take about 20 minutes.
5. Skin and flake the haddock into large bite-sized pieces and gently stir it into the rice. Keep the risotto warm white you poach the eggs.
6. Divide the risotto between four plates top each serving with a poached egg and serve immediately.

valentino, Jul 24, 7:38pm
A nice fish pie, use the search function to locate. Very simple and always demolished.

Oh, have a look also in the thread "Family Favourite Soup recipes", the first one is tops.

Cheers.

rainrain1, Jul 24, 9:20pm
Add them to a potato bake recipe

blt10, Jul 24, 9:22pm
Chicken & leek pie.

lx4000, Jul 24, 9:42pm
Doyou make the leeks in white? Cheese sauce using the leek cooking water? This is Wayyy better than with all milk!!

garden_art, Jul 25, 9:02am
Yes, I know leeks in white sauce are absolutely yum! BUT does anyone have any ideas for using leeks in healthy recipes that a family would like!Thanks.

countrybumpkinz, Jul 25, 9:06am
leek and potato soup!

garden_art, Jul 25, 9:11am
Thanks but made Leek and Potato soup from a proper recipe and it didn't go down well with anyone except me - apparently it was bland ;-(

gemini007, Jul 25, 9:54am
Okay I got this recipe from a lady at work - it's from an English cookbook, so I basically skipped the first part and just used fresh smoked fish - will work equally well with tinned fish.It sounds really odd - particularly the poached egg bit, but it's yummy - mr 10 and mr 5 myself and DH really liked it - only mr 8 (who is fussy at the best of times) did rate it.Give it a go:

SMOKED HADDOCK and PEA RISOTTO
4 x 142g/5oz smoked haddock fillets
1.2 litres/2pt fish stock
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 large leek, washed and finely chopped
255g/9oz dried risotto rice
397g/14oz fresh or frozen peas
100g/3 ½ Oz fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
4 large eggs

1.Place the haddock in a large saucepan of water and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat and a1low the fish to sit in the water, covered, for 12-15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2.Bring the stock to the boil in a large pan over a medium heat, then turn the heat down as low as It will go to keep the stock hot but without letting it reduce.
3.Place 198ml/7fl oz of the warmed stock in another large pan, add the onion and leek and cook for 3-4 minutes until they have softened. Add the rice and stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the peas and spinach.
4.Pour in the hot stock, a ladleful at a time, and keep stirring until each ladleful is absorbed. Keep adding the stock, stirring as often as possible until the rice is al dente (tender but still retaining a bite) — this should take about 20 minutes.
5. Skin and flake the haddock into large bite-sized pieces and gently stir it into the rice. Keep the risotto warm white you poach the eggs.
6. Divide the risotto between four plates top each serving with a poached egg and serve immediately.

lx4000, Jul 25, 9:42pm
Doyou make the leeks in white! Cheese sauce using the leek cooking water! This is Wayyy better than with all milk!

greerg, Jul 26, 4:40am
Leeks, especially smaller ones, are reallly good in a stir-fried vegetable medley with broccoli or aded to your favourite stirfried beef or chicken recipe.I add them to casseroles, layer them into scalloped potatoes and cook them with tomatoes, onions and courgettes.

davidt4, Jul 26, 4:44am
Very easy and delicious:

Beef, Leek and Vinegar Braise

3 large leeks in thick slices
2 tab olive oil
700g stewing beef in large chunks
2 tab flour
1 tsp salt
pepper
4 tab balsamic vinegar
750 ml water

Brown beef in oil, add leeks and stir 5 min.Add flour, salt and pepper, stir 5 min.

Add vinegar and stir to deglaze, gradually add 500 ml water.Cover and simmer about 3 hours until the meat is very tender.Add more water if necessary.

davidt4, Jul 26, 4:47am
Feta and Caramelised LeekBörek (Turkish)

makes 24

3 leeks, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
10g butter
2 tbsp olive oil
200ml chicken stock
bay leaf
200g feta. crumbled
50g fresh oregano, finely chopped
8 sheets filo pastry
melted butter for brushing
2 tbsp mixture of poppy and black sesame seeds

Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7.

Sauté the leeks, garlic and sugar in the butter and olive oil for 4–5 minutes, constantly stirring. Add the stock and bay leaf, and season. Cook until reduced to a mushy consistency. Take off the heat and remove the bay leaf. Once cooled, transfer the mixture to a bowl and combine with the feta cheese and oregano.
Working with one sheet of filo pastry at a time, spread it out and cut lengthwise into thirds. Keep the pastry covered with a damp tea towel while you're not using it. Each strip will make one börek.
Brush the pastry with the melted butter and place a tablespoon of filling across the corner of one end. Fold this corner up and over to form a triangle, then over again, and so on until you have a triangular pastry parcel. Repeat this process with the rest of the pastry and filling. Arrange the böreks on a tray. Brush them with more melted butter and sprinkle with the seeds. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden brown.

An alternative is to make the filling, omit the filo, and serve grilled haloumi on the warm leek mixture.

juliewn, Jul 26, 5:33pm
I made something a bit different for dinner last night.. a 'make again' goody.. add leeks to these veges, or use leeks by themselves with the garlic and fresh ginger.. finishing with the lemon juice..

Sauté freshly grated ginger and garlic and a sliced onion.

Simmer/steam till as tender/firm as you want: swede, carrots and yams..

When the veges are almost cooked, add sliced cabbage to the garlic & ginger mix, and saute till as crisp as you prefer.
Strain veges if needed, back on the side of the element with the lid off to let steam escape.
Toss through the garlic & ginger mix
Add the freshly squeezed juice of 1 or 2 lemons (I think limes would be nice too)
Toss through.. and serve with chopped fresh parsley sprinkled over the top..

I think kumara, parsnips, etc would be nice too - and some fresh or canned pineapple pieces.. Brussels Sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.. as well..

gemini007, Jul 26, 10:31pm
OMG - that sound delish!!!How much sugar do you use???

davidt4, Jul 26, 10:37pm
No sugar.The leeks contain their own sweetness (same as onions) and will become soft and sweet when they are cooked down.

gemini007, Jul 27, 12:18am
Oh - I was a bit confused.Thanks!

davidt4, Jul 27, 1:18am
Sorry - the reference to sugar should have been deleted.

davidt4, Jul 27, 4:47am
Feta and Caramelised LeekBörek (Turkish)

makes 24

3 leeks, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
10g butter
2 tbsp olive oil
200ml chicken stock
bay leaf
200g feta. crumbled
50g fresh oregano, finely chopped
8 sheets filo pastry
melted butter for brushing
2 tbsp mixture of poppy and black sesame seeds

Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7.

Sauté the leeks, garlic and sugar in the butter and olive oil for 4–5 minutes, constantly stirring. Add the stock and bay leaf, and season. Cook until reduced to a mushy consistency. Take off the heat and remove the bay leaf. Once cooled, transfer the mixture to a bowl and combine with the feta cheese and oregano.
Working with one sheet of filo pastry at a time, spread it out and cut lengthwise into thirds. Keep the pastry covered with a damp tea towel while you're not using it. Each strip will make one börek.
Brush the pastry with the melted butter and place a tablespoon of filling across the corner of one end. Fold this corner up and over to form a triangle, then over again, and so on until you have a triangular pastry parcel. Repeat this process with the rest of the pastry and filling. Arrange the böreks on a tray. Brush them with more melted butter and sprinkle with the seeds. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden brown.

An alternative is to make the filling, omit the filo, and serve grilled haloumi on the warm leek mixture.

juliewn, Jul 27, 5:33pm
I made something a bit different for dinner last night. a 'make again' goody. add leeks to these veges, or use leeks by themselves with the garlic and fresh ginger. finishing with the lemon juice.

Sauté freshly grated ginger and garlic and a sliced onion.

Simmer/steam till as tender/firm as you want: swede, carrots and yams.

When the veges are almost cooked, add sliced cabbage to the garlic & ginger mix, and saute till as crisp as you prefer.
Strain veges if needed, back on the side of the element with the lid off to let steam escape.
Toss through the garlic & ginger mix
Add the freshly squeezed juice of 1 or 2 lemons (I think limes would be nice too)
Toss through. and serve with chopped fresh parsley sprinkled over the top.

I think kumara, parsnips, etc would be nice too - and some fresh or canned pineapple pieces. Brussels Sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. as well.

gemini007, Jul 27, 10:31pm
OMG - that sound delish!How much sugar do you use!

bev00, Jul 26, 10:36am
leek ideas .