Ideas on baking using strawberry yoghurt...

Page 1 / 2
b190, May 22, 1:30am
For some reason I have 11 pots of strawberry yoghurts which expire on Wednesday. We won't get through half that many so i'm hoping to bake something yummy using them. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking chocolate muffins with yoghurt perhaps........?

guinevere2, May 22, 1:39am
Yoghurt can be used for quite a long time after the best before date just fine :)As long as it looks and smells fine then it's fine to eat.

pickles7, May 22, 1:50am
If you cannot use it yourself, give it to some kids near by.

b190, May 22, 2:34am
I have 3 kids, but we won't get through them all so I was just wondering if anyone had any recipe ideas. Thanks guinevere2 that's good to know that they haven't had it right on the used by date:) I just made cupcakes with 3 pots in it. So far so good.

pam.delilah, May 22, 2:46am
replace the sour cream in these

Sour cream cupcakes
You'll need
150g butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
1/4 cup rice flour
Here's how
1. Preheat the oven to moderate (180C). Line two deep, 12-hole patty tins with paper patty cases.
2. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and creamy. Gradually beat in the vanilla essence and eggs.
3. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the sour cream and combined sifted flours, until just smooth.
4. Spoon the mixture evenly into the patty cases. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cupcakes are golden on top. Test a few with a skewer - if it comes out clean they are cooked. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Spread with citrus glacé (recipe follows) and decorate with sugared wattle flowers, if desired.

pam.delilah, May 22, 2:49am
replace the sour cream in this one too

Chocolate choc sour cream Layer Cake
Fills 3 8inch round pans

1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup butter, softened
16ozlight brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 8oz container of sour cream
1 cup hot water
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.
Melt chocolate in microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
Beat butter and brown sugar until well blended.
Add vanilla and then add eggs 1 at a time beating until just incorporated.
Add melted chocolate beating until blended.
Sift flour, baking soda, and salt.
Gradually add to chocolate mixture, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Beat after every addition until blended.
Gradually add 1 cup of hot water in a steady stream at low until blended.
the batter is going to look extremely thin and you might think you've messed up, but it's going to be perfect :)
Pour batter into paper lined cake pans.
Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes cakes.
Place baked cakes on cooling rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan to completely cool

pam.delilah, May 22, 2:52am
and another
leave out lemon juice and replace sour cream with yogurt

Lemon Sour Cream Cake

125g softened butter,
2tsp grated lemon rind,
1C sugar,
3 eggs,
1C flour,
1tsp baking powder,
half cup sour cream,
icing sugar.

Preheat oven to 160`C.
Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
Beat butter, lemon rind, sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy. Sift flour and baking powder together.
Fold sifted ingredients into egg mixture alternately with the sour cream, mixing until smooth.
Pour into cake tin.
Bake 45 mins, or until centre springs back when lightly touched.
Stand in tin 5-10 mins before turning out onto a cooling rack.
When cold dust with icing sugar.

b190, May 22, 3:12am
Ooooh lovely! Thanks so much:)

chicco2, May 22, 4:12am
Chocolate Banana Yoghurt Cake

200 grams (8oz) melted butter
3 cups (12oz) S/F Flour
2 Cups (16oz) Sugar
½ cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
2 Eggs
1 Cup Yoghurt any flavour
1 cup hot water mixed with 2 tsp baking soda
2 bananas
Pinch salt

Mix altogether – bake at 160-180 for 1 – 11/2 hours

Large round 20cm – 25cm tin or square

Ice with Chocolate Icing

b190, May 22, 4:38am
Yum :) Thank you:) I'll have to let my yoghurts expire more often......

marcs, May 22, 5:35am
Alison Holsts double chocolate muffins. Make them and freeze them.

1 & 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder

100g butter melted (can use 100 grams of oil instead. Need to weigh it)
1 egg
1 cup yoghurt (I use fruity youghurt)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

1/4 - 1/2 cup choc chips

Pre heat oven at 220c fan forced.
Sift all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix all wet ingredients in another bowl. Mix wet to dry and mix till only just comined. Put into muffin cups and bake for 10 - 12 minutes. Once cool freeze them and take them out as needed.

toadfish, May 22, 5:44am
If it was me i would just pop them in the freezer and use them as normal as the date would be held... Useful for keeping the rest of the lunch cool... and defrosted be lunchtime...

4macmonkies, May 22, 11:30pm
That is also a favourite recipe of my family which they ask for often.Love her book with muffins and slices :)

b190, May 23, 1:30am
For some reason I have 11 pots of strawberry yoghurts which expire on Wednesday. We won't get through half that many so i'm hoping to bake something yummy using them. Does anyone have any ideas! I was thinking chocolate muffins with yoghurt perhaps.!

guinevere2, May 23, 1:39am
Yoghurt can be used for quite a long time after the best before date just fine :)As long as it looks and smells fine then it's fine to eat.

b190, May 23, 2:34am
I have 3 kids, but we won't get through them all so I was just wondering if anyone had any recipe ideas. Thanks guinevere2 that's good to know that they haven't had it right on the used by date:) I just made cupcakes with 3 pots in it. So far so good.

pam.delilah, May 23, 2:46am
replace the sour cream in these

Sour cream cupcakes
You'll need
150g butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
1/4 cup rice flour
Here's how
1. Preheat the oven to moderate (180C). Line two deep, 12-hole patty tins with paper patty cases.
2. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and creamy. Gradually beat in the vanilla essence and eggs.
3. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the sour cream and combined sifted flours, until just smooth.
4. Spoon the mixture evenly into the patty cases. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cupcakes are golden on top. Test a few with a skewer - if it comes out clean they are cooked. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Spread with citrus glacé (recipe follows) and decorate with sugared wattle flowers, if desired.

pam.delilah, May 23, 2:49am
replace the sour cream in this one too

Chocolate choc sour cream Layer Cake
Fills 3 8inch round pans

1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup butter, softened
16ozlight brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 8oz container of sour cream
1 cup hot water
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.
Melt chocolate in microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
Beat butter and brown sugar until well blended.
Add vanilla and then add eggs 1 at a time beating until just incorporated.
Add melted chocolate beating until blended.
Sift flour, baking soda, and salt.
Gradually add to chocolate mixture, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Beat after every addition until blended.
Gradually add 1 cup of hot water in a steady stream at low until blended.
the batter is going to look extremely thin and you might think you've messed up, but it's going to be perfect :)
Pour batter into paper lined cake pans.
Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes cakes.
Place baked cakes on cooling rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan to completely cool

pam.delilah, May 23, 2:52am
leave out the lemon juice and rind
Lemon Yoghurt Cake Alison Holst's

Ingredients
• 1¾ cups sugar
• finely grated rind of 2 lemons
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup canola or other oil
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 cup plain yoghurt
• 2 - 3 Tbsp lemon juice
• 2 cups self-raising flour
Comments
This light, lemony cake contains oil rather than butter, and is very easy to mix, either in a food processor, or in a bowl using a whisk or fork.
Method
Heat oven to 190°C (180°C fanbake), with the rack just below the middle.
Spray a 23cm (7 cup capacity) ring pan with non-stick spray, then coat evenly with sieved flour.
If using a food processor, put the sugar and finely grated lemon rind in the bowl.
Add the eggs, oil and salt, then process until thick and smooth. Add the yoghurt and lemon juice and blend enough to mix. Add the flour and process just enough to combine.
To mix by hand, grate all the coloured peel from the lemons into a large bowl. Add the sugar, eggs and oil, then whisk together. Add the salt, yoghurt and lemon juice and mix again. Sift in the flour and fold in with a stirrer until just combined.
Pour cake mixture into prepared ring pan and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the sides start to shrink, the centre springs back when pressed, and a skewer comes out clean. Leave for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack. Cool.
Serve with sliced kiwi fruit or fresh berries and whipped cream or yoghurt.
Variation: For a lower fat cake, replace ¼ cup of the oil with ¼ cup of extra yoghurt.

b190, May 23, 4:38am
Yum :) Thank you:) I'll have to let my yoghurts expire more often.

toadfish, May 23, 5:44am
If it was me i would just pop them in the freezer and use them as normal as the date would be held. Useful for keeping the rest of the lunch cool. and defrosted be lunchtime.

bev00, May 22, 10:30am
yummy ideas ^^^

sarahb5, May 23, 12:28am
You can also freeze it - whisk it until it doubles in quantity and then pour into an ice cream container.

books4nz, May 23, 12:50am
Made this recently - think I got it from here - use your strawberry yoghurt and any dried fruit in place of the apricots.

Apricot Brownie

Mix 1 cup chopped dried apricots and 1 cup apricot yoghurt.
Melt 100gms butter in large bowl, add 1 cup brown sugar.
Add 3 eggs and mix well.
Add 1 tsp vanilla and apricot mix.
Sift and add 1 & 1/4 cups flour and 2 tsp baking powder.
Spread into baking paper lined sponge roll tin.
Bake at 180°C about 40 minutes till comes back when lightly pressed.
Serve warm as a dessert, or cool to use as a Brownie slice.
Dust with icing sugar.

duckmoon, May 24, 5:51am
I agree with poster number two

Yoghurt is fine well passed it's use by date. Six weeks and it will still be OK.
Remember that a "best before" date isn't a "toxic after" date.