Homemade yoghurt - help

Page 1 / 2
mum99, Mar 23, 11:10pm
Hey, i just tried to make yoghurt using 2 tablespoons easiyo mix same of milk powder to 1 litre milk (fresh from the vat) wasn't that successful as it was still quite runny and bitter - kids hated it LOL. so what can i do to improve the recipe?
It was a flavoured sachet of easiyo, would the natural or plain not be so bitter? tried adding fruit which made it a bit better but still not kid friendly haha.any help would be greatly appreciated as the kids love yoghurt but with 3 of them i refuse to buy pottles would rather make my own.`

lissy73, Mar 23, 11:25pm
You will have to sweeten the yoghurt after you make it. You could add sugar, or honey, whatever you prefer

valentino, Mar 23, 11:25pm
If you have a regular supply of milk straight from the vat then perhaps you need to go to this linkhttp://www.cottagecrafts.co.nz/dnn/Shop/tabid/57/ProdID/16/RtnTab/57/PageIndex/6/CatID/-1/Default.aspxand buy a pack.

This is one of the best there is for homemaking yoghurt.

Cheers.

kay141, Mar 23, 11:48pm
For the first time, I use the Easiyo as per directions on the packet. Next time, 1l of milk and 2tablespoons of the already made yoghurt. It is a bit runnier but I stir it well and it seems to thicken up in the fridge. After a few times, I find I need to go back to the packet as it gets too runny. I always make natural so don't know if the flavoured would work but I don't see why not. I like it with a squirt of golden syrup. My granddaughter (uni student) stirs a bit of the cheapest jam she can find through it.

lilyfield, Mar 23, 11:52pm
will this culture work with milk powder?

valentino, Mar 24, 2:02am
I use a different method when just using milk powder.

However, an addition of say about 30grams of powder per litre of milk will give a much thicker texture and if wanting a Greek style yoghurt - add say at least about 100 grams powder per litre.

Mt method with just 100% whole milk powder is about 400 mils of powder thumped (that is milk powder up to the 400 level then banged on the bench to settle it or pack it further then retop until 400 is met), then top up to the 600 level (only 200mils) with boiling hot water, stick blend all then allow to cool to room temperature. In the meantime, put into a cup about 3 heaped tablespoons of natural yoghurt and warm to room temp.

When all is at room temp, add yoghurt to milk mixture and just stri in sufficiently to blend. I then top it to the 1 litre mark with boiling water mixing slowing after each 200 mils addition. Screw cap on.
Into the outer goes boiling water enough to come up the sides of the yoghurt (inner part) to the top, then screw on the outer cap. Leave overnight.
Next morning, check yoghurt for setting, if firm - great; if still waterish then repeat the boiling water part to the outer and leave for rest of day. This should be enough to get the right texture.

Cheers.

harrislucinda, Mar 24, 8:19am
ifoundthatrecipeonheremakingyourownyogurtandyeswasnotnicethrewitdownthesink

eljayv, Mar 24, 8:29am
the Easiyo that I use is meant to be made up with water as the sachet contains powdered milk and yoghurt culture.1 litre water to one sachet.If you want to make your own yoghurt use yogomet culturewith milk. or buy one pottle of readymade yoghurt and add a couple of tablespoons of that to milk that has been heated to almost boiling then cooled to between 100 - 110degrees.

janny3, Mar 24, 8:40am
Wish I had real fresh milk from the vat again...

Friend at the farm scalds the milk & cools it down to blood temp.She mixes in 1/4 satchet of Easiyo plain, leaves it to set as usual and it's just great.

To save money, I've made flavoured Easiyo from fresh milk by just using half a satchet of Easiyo pre-mix, the equivalent amount of milk powder & water.No reason you couldn't use 1/2 a litre of cooled, scalded fresh milk instead.Easiyo Greek n honey tastes just as nice 1/2 strength like this.

Kids will prefer it a bit sweeter so you may need to add a little sugar and sweeten to taste.

Sometimes if I've had unused strawberry milk, I scald it, add 3 TB milk powder & a couple of dollops of fresh plain yoghurt & set it in the Easiyo.Or just add 1/4 pack of Easiyo if I have any.You need the milk powder/Easiyo to make the end product thicker or creamier.

Its fun & you are lucky to have real milk from the vat.Good luck.

pamellie, Mar 24, 7:05pm
I use 2 tbsp of greek yoghurt (easi yo) and then add 200grams of whole milk powder and top up with water in my yoghurt making jar and then make as normal in the easi yo maker. This makes a thick sour yoghurt, you could add sugar to make it sweeter but we just eat with fruit and cereal and that sweetens it. Every now and then it makes a dud batch and I just start again with a new satchet.

eljayv, Mar 24, 8:27pm
For a treat you can drip not so sweet yoghurt through a muslin cloth or a clean tea towel and use it really thick.If you use cream instead ofmilk to make your yoghurt, when you drip it you havesort of creme fraiche, lovely but the yoghurt made with cream is a treat anyway whether you drip it or not.

mum99, Mar 24, 11:10pm
Hey, i just tried to make yoghurt using 2 tablespoons easiyo mix same of milk powder to 1 litre milk (fresh from the vat) wasn't that successful as it was still quite runny and bitter - kids hated it LOL. so what can i do to improve the recipe!
It was a flavoured sachet of easiyo, would the natural or plain not be so bitter! tried adding fruit which made it a bit better but still not kid friendly haha.any help would be greatly appreciated as the kids love yoghurt but with 3 of them i refuse to buy pottles would rather make my own.`

kay141, Mar 24, 11:48pm
For the first time, I use the Easiyo as per directions on the packet. Next time, 1l of milk and 2tablespoons of the already made yoghurt. It is a bit runnier but I stir it well and it seems to thicken up in the fridge. After a few times, I find I need to go back to the packet as it gets too runny. I always make natural so don't know if the flavoured would work but I don't see why not. I like it with a squirt of golden syrup. My granddaughter (uni student) stirs a bit of the cheapest jam she can find through it.

mum99, Mar 25, 2:01am
thanks for all your replies,it has taken me a bit to get back, just home from hospital with son who now has a freshly plastered arm! i wonder if i bought milkshake flavour, mixed it with the milk then set with yoghurt? might give that a go!

valentino, Mar 25, 2:02am
I use a different method when just using milk powder.

However, an addition of say about 30grams of powder per litre of milk will give a much thicker texture and if wanting a Greek style yoghurt - add say at least about 100 grams powder per litre.

Mt method with just 100% whole milk powder is about 400 mils of powder thumped (that is milk powder up to the 400 level then banged on the bench to settle it or pack it further then retop until 400 is met), then top up to the 600 level (only 200mils) with boiling hot water, stick blend all then allow to cool to room temperature. In the meantime, put into a cup about 3 heaped tablespoons of natural yoghurt and warm to room temp.

When all is at room temp, add yoghurt to milk mixture and just stir in sufficiently to blend. I then top it to the 1 litre mark with boiling water mixing slowing after each 200 mils addition. Screw cap on.
Into the outer goes boiling water enough to come up the sides of the yoghurt (inner part) to the top, then screw on the outer cap. Leave overnight.
Next morning, check yoghurt for setting, if firm - great; if still waterish then repeat the boiling water part to the outer and leave for rest of day. This should be enough to get the right texture.

Cheers.

Editing to correct speilling errors and to also answer that thought.

One has not yet done it with milk powder but could be worth a go if one can get a wee sample to try, after all milk powder esp full is milk without water so if one made up the correct milk formula maybe should work, just a personal opinion though but yeah, and add a bit more powder especially.

kay141, Mar 25, 3:16am
I might be mistaken but I thought you said you used 2tbsp of the Easiyo mix. It should be 2tbsp of yoghurt with 1 litre of milk.

janny3, Mar 25, 8:40am
Wish I had real fresh milk from the vat again.

Friend at the farm scalds the milk & cools it down to blood temp.She mixes in 1/4 satchet of Easiyo plain, leaves it to set as usual and it's just great.

To save money, I've made flavoured Easiyo from fresh milk by just using half a satchet of Easiyo pre-mix, the equivalent amount of milk powder & water.No reason you couldn't use 1/2 a litre of cooled, scalded fresh milk instead.Easiyo Greek n honey tastes just as nice 1/2 strength like this.

Kids will prefer it a bit sweeter so you may need to add a little sugar and sweeten to taste.

Sometimes if I've had unused strawberry milk, I scald it, add 3 TB milk powder & a couple of dollops of fresh plain yoghurt & set it in the Easiyo.Or just add 1/4 pack of Easiyo if I have any.You need the milk powder/Easiyo to make the end product thicker or creamier.

Its fun & you are lucky to have real milk from the vat.Good luck.

janny3, Mar 25, 1:32pm
Hadn't had much success w/ milkshake mixes.Not sure why so would be keen to see your results. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49391873035

Done alright w/ pre-flavoured milks tho'.Maybe the mixes I used were faulty.

You still need to add a cpl of spoons of milk powder (or 1/4 satchet Easiyo) in w/ your fresh scalded & cooled milk.Otherwise the end result tends to be watery.

Good luck w/ the broken arm.At least you're going to supply extra calcium from the yoghurt.

mum99, Mar 26, 2:01am
thanks for all your replies,it has taken me a bit to get back, just home from hospital with son who now has a freshly plastered arm! i wonder if i bought milkshake flavour, mixed it with the milk then set with yoghurt! might give that a go!

bev00, Mar 26, 9:29am
My yoghurt sets better when i wrap a blanket around the yoghurt maker

kuaka, Mar 26, 9:48am
I'm wondering why you want to do home made yoghurt with milk and easiyo.I'm curious about the reasoning, as the cost of milk plus milk powder plus a portion of the easiyo wouldn't work out any cheaper than using the whole pack of easiyo and water, which is how it's supposed to be made, so what is the advantage of trying to do it other than the way it's intended.I always use easiyo and except for the vanilla which seems to go very gluggy, I never have a problem.Also, can't figure out why it would be bitter if you are using a flavoured mix.

beaker59, Mar 26, 12:06pm
I use plain milk and a couple of tablespoons of real yogurt, sometimes if it comes out a little runny I have found its because its not getting warm enough so I have started prewarming the milk to just warmer than room temp then into the easyyo container hot water into the maker and away you goto 8 hours later nice thick yogurt not need for powders or anything. flavour it with jams or honey etcbut we like it plain.

janny3, Mar 26, 1:32pm
Hadn't had much success w/ milkshake mixes.Not sure why so would be keen to see your results. http://www.facebook.com/group.php!gid=49391873035

Done alright w/ pre-flavoured milks tho'.Maybe the mixes I used were faulty.

You still need to add a cpl of spoons of milk powder (or 1/4 satchet Easiyo) in w/ your fresh scalded & cooled milk.Otherwise the end result tends to be watery.

Good luck w/ the broken arm.At least you're going to supply extra calcium from the yoghurt.

dibble35, Mar 26, 7:22pm
I make the same as pamellie, 2 heaped Tbl easiyo powder (greekstyle for thick yoghurt) to get the yoghurt starter, 1 1/3C milk powdertop up with WATER! and for the kids if you ad some vanilla and sugar 1/3C into pot its much nicer, It thickens really nicely once in the fridge.

mwood, Mar 27, 12:20am
Try the new Greek and Coconut - just follow the packet instructions using water as it says - thick, creamy, sweet about $3.60 at our Supermarket.