Eggplant recipe from last weeks sunday star times

catsmeat1, Mar 23, 7:46am
Hi I meant to save it but have thrown out the paper, I think it was a pate/dip type recipe. did anyone keep it??

jessie981, Mar 23, 8:23am

catsmeat1, Mar 24, 6:21am
Thanks jessie981, not sure if that was the recipe I had in mind, but it looks just as good!!Cheers

petal1955, Mar 24, 6:43am
This was the recipe in the Sunday Star Times last Sunday March 13th by NIKI bezzant

Pasta with eggplant,tomato, chilli and feta.

1 small red onion diced
1 medium, eggplant trimmed and finely diced
quarter to half teaspoon of dried red chilli flakes (depending on how hot you like it)
250 grm punnet of cherry tomatoes halved
400 grm tin chopped tomatoes
100 grms feta cheese cut into bite sized pieces
350 grms penne pasta
1/2 cup of basil leaves, plus extra to garnish.

Cook the penne in a large saucepan of boiling water according to the packet instructions or until 'al dente'.Drain well

Meanwhile heat a large non stick frypan over a medium high heat.Add the eggplant and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for seven to eight minutes or until eggplant in golden and tender.Add the chilli and tomatoes and cook for a further two to three minutes, or until slightly softened.
Add the chopped tomatoes, simmer for five minutes, then add the drained pasta and stir to combine.Remove from heat, stir through the pieces of feta and basil leaves.Divide between serving plates and serve immediately, garnished with extra basil leaves.Serves four.
Tip: If tomatoes are off your menu, try this dish with diced courgettes in place of the cherry tomatoes and using the tomato free pasta sauce instead of the tinned tomatoes.
Tomata Free Pasta Sauce (Makes Two Cups)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1 red capsicum chopped.
1 courgette or 1 large stick of celery, chopped
1 +1/2 cups vegetable stock (tomato free)
2 tbsp plum sauce
Garlic and fresh herbs to taste
Cook vegetables in oil until just softened.Add stock and cook for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.Add plum sauce and simmer for a few minutes.Puree and season to taste.

catsmeat1, Mar 24, 7:46am
Hi I meant to save it but have thrown out the paper, I think it was a pate/dip type recipe. did anyone keep it!

jessie981, Mar 24, 8:23am

catsmeat1, Mar 25, 6:21am
Thanks jessie981, not sure if that was the recipe I had in mind, but it looks just as good!Cheers

petal1955, Mar 25, 6:43am
This was the recipe in the Sunday Star Times last Sunday March 13th by NIKI bezzant

Pasta with eggplant,tomato, chilli and feta.

1 small red onion diced
1 medium, eggplant trimmed and finely diced
quarter to half teaspoon of dried red chilli flakes (depending on how hot you like it)
250 grm punnet of cherry tomatoes halved
400 grm tin chopped tomatoes
100 grms feta cheese cut into bite sized pieces
350 grms penne pasta
1/2 cup of basil leaves, plus extra to garnish.

Cook the penne in a large saucepan of boiling water according to the packet instructions or until 'al dente'.Drain well

Meanwhile heat a large non stick frypan over a medium high heat.Add the eggplant and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for seven to eight minutes or until eggplant in golden and tender.Add the chilli and tomatoes and cook for a further two to three minutes, or until slightly softened.
Add the chopped tomatoes, simmer for five minutes, then add the drained pasta and stir to combine.Remove from heat, stir through the pieces of feta and basil leaves.Divide between serving plates and serve immediately, garnished with extra basil leaves.Serves four.
Tip: If tomatoes are off your menu, try this dish with diced courgettes in place of the cherry tomatoes and using the tomato free pasta sauce instead of the tinned tomatoes.
Tomata Free Pasta Sauce (Makes Two Cups)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1 red capsicum chopped.
1 courgette or 1 large stick of celery, chopped
1 +1/2 cups vegetable stock (tomato free)
2 tbsp plum sauce
Garlic and fresh herbs to taste
Cook vegetables in oil until just softened.Add stock and cook for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.Add plum sauce and simmer for a few minutes.Puree and season to taste.