First time eggplant cooker

biddy6, Sep 17, 3:55am
C,mon help me like this veg ;-) If you were trying to convert someone to
enjoy it, how would you cook it!
I've only tried it once and it was in a vegetarian casserole and it tasted yucky.

karenz, Sep 17, 4:17am
I stuff the eggplant
Brown lamb mince, push to one side
lighly cook finely diced onion and garlic and combine
add a tin of tomatoes and a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon, season with salt and pepper and reduce
then
make a white sauce
cornflour, add milk and cook in saucepan or in microwave until thickened
beat an egg and add that to mix and thicken further
add a pinch of nutmeg and ground pepper

halve the eggplant and scoop out the middle
put in the meat mixture then the white sauce mixture
grate some mild cheese and parmesan over the top and bake
in a moderate oven until the eggplant is cooked

sarahb5, Sep 17, 4:33am
I'd make moussaka or ratatouille or even just BBQ slices - but perhaps you had egg plant that hadn't been salted before it was cooked which makes it quite bitter

biddy6, Sep 17, 4:45am
Thanks girls.Karen, your recipe is similar to the stuffed marrow I make and everyone loves.Maybe Sarah - it tasted like what I'd imagine old boots would taste like.

Well, I won't be cooking it tonight as although I only bought it on Sat it's not looking to flash now.T'was a beautiful unmarked veg when I bought it :-( They obviously don't last long once picked.

pickles7, Sep 17, 4:51am

buzzy110, Sep 18, 6:21am
It was probably imported or been carefully stored for a while so it has already been away from its plant for a while, then it was put onto a supermarket shelf and left there till sold along with standing time out the back of the shop. To the best of my knowledge eggplants are ready to eat somewhere about the end of summer and fresh grown ones last more than a few days in refrigeration.

Eggplants need to be properly cooked. Before doing anything with them, I always slice, brush with warm oil (because hotter oil spreads better) and fry gently in a dry frying pan till cooked, or bake in my Easy Cook. I love them just like that with some seasoning. However, once they are cooked you can layer them into a moussaka or whatever.

Just remember that they are vile if not properly cooked. Properly cooked they are a rich creamy delight.