Goats Milk?

Page 1 / 2
k1andb2, Mar 8, 9:11pm
Can anyone please tell me the benefits of using goats milk over normal cows milk?My family suffer from excema, asthma & gluten intolerence, and it's been recommended to us (my someone that milks his own goats) to try his milk. This will be unpasterisied milk straight from being milked. All opinions greatly appreciated.

alby100, Mar 8, 9:16pm
smells like goats...

I wasn't aware milk had gluten in it...

I do know that for those who are lactose intolerent, Goats milk still contains lactose...

purplegoanna, Mar 8, 9:19pm
i know of someone whos toddler was nearly 50% covered in excema and she swapped over to goats milk (after recomendation from her dear hubby!) and within 3mths bubs skin had cleared up to barely none at all....

kinna54, Mar 8, 9:23pm
Had a similar problem thru my family, and explored a lot of avenues when my son was little (he has actually become more lactose tolerant over the years, but still avoids heavy milk products.) For years we used soy products, and then a product from Pritikin (don't know if they are still around) which was powdered. Have heardgoats milk is good, but would be worried about the unpasteruisation.

herika, Mar 8, 9:24pm
Goats milk is great.It freezes well and can be used as you would normally use cows milk.
I buy the Nanny Lane goat milk from the supermarket now as I cant get it fresh.
If a person is casein intolerant, as opposed to lactose intolerant, goat milk is good.One person I know still has eczema symptoms even when on goat milk but I suspect they may be eating something else that has (hidden) cows milk or products in it.You would need to check labels for that, same as you do for gluten intolerance.
I was having major problemss and the first two things I cut out of my diet were gluten and cows milk and my improvement started straight away.7 years after that I had worked out everything I could and couldnt eat and now dont have any probs.
Try the goat milk, it may take you a while to get used to it - its great in coffee, makes it lovely and creamy (freeze dried coffee is gluten free).

k1andb2, Mar 8, 9:30pm
Thanks for that everyone.Herika i have read alot of your posts, esp the gluten free ones, and I greatly appreciate all of your advice. I also have your cookbook which I refer to frequently. I will try the goats milk - though may have to put it into a blue top 2 litre milk bottle, so my kids and hubby dont know - it'll be interesting to see if they notice hehehehe

donald6, Mar 9, 11:09am
k1andb2, we hand milk a goat & we bring the milk up to the boil to get rid of any bugs that may be in it. It does sometimes taste different from cow's milk, depending on what she eats. Don't store it in a plastic bottle as it can take on the plastic taste, a glass jar is better. We use it in our coffee, porridge & make yoghurt as well as use it for cooking. Best of luck.

fester7, Mar 9, 9:10pm
Goats milk is liquid gold.We milk our goat and no one would tell it wasn't cows milk that visits. Good hygenically milked and filtered milk cooled quickly after milking has no "goaty" taste.
Most times lactose intolerent peoples can tolerate goats milk as the protein is a much smaller easily digestible molecule than cows. Google is your friend. I would reccommend trying fresh goats milk.If the goats are in good health and milk cleanly "milked" i see no reason to pastuerise unless you have immune issues we are all getting too precious!!

k1andb2, Mar 9, 9:11pm
Can anyone please tell me the benefits of using goats milk over normal cows milk!My family suffer from excema, asthma & gluten intolerence, and it's been recommended to us (my someone that milks his own goats) to try his milk. This will be unpasterisied milk straight from being milked. All opinions greatly appreciated.

alby100, Mar 9, 9:16pm
smells like goats.

I wasn't aware milk had gluten in it.

I do know that for those who are lactose intolerent, Goats milk still contains lactose.

purplegoanna, Mar 9, 9:19pm
i know of someone whos toddler was nearly 50% covered in excema and she swapped over to goats milk (after recomendation from her dear hubby!) and within 3mths bubs skin had cleared up to barely none at all.

kinna54, Mar 9, 9:23pm
Had a similar problem thru my family, and explored a lot of avenues when my son was little (he has actually become more lactose tolerant over the years, but still avoids heavy milk products.) For years we used soy products, and then a product from Pritikin (don't know if they are still around) which was powdered. Have heardgoats milk is good, but would be worried about the unpasteruisation.

k1andb2, Mar 9, 9:30pm
Thanks for that everyone.Herika i have read alot of your posts, esp the gluten free ones, and I greatly appreciate all of your advice. I also have your cookbook which I refer to frequently. I will try the goats milk - though may have to put it into a blue top 2 litre milk bottle, so my kids and hubby dont know - it'll be interesting to see if they notice hehehehe

k1andb2, Mar 10, 12:59am
Thanks everyone - picking up 2 litres 2nite at 5.30, being milked at 5pm so will be very fresh. I cant wait to try it, and see if the rest of the family can tell the difference

pickles7, Mar 10, 7:15am
Not true of fresh goats milk. three day old goats milk and you can taste goat. But if it helps with your other health problems It would be well worth using .

pickles7, Mar 10, 7:22am
We milked Toggenburg goats, great milkers .
We tricked a farmer once, he didn't guess he had goats milk in his coffee, swore he would never try it, coz it would taste of billy goats. We got him good.

motorbo, Mar 10, 7:22am
though im using cows milk again at the mo, when i did give it up i tried every afforable type(almond too expensive) and it was the one i liked the most i could easily go back, im not keen on soy milk, or rice (blurgh!!)cows milk is bad if you r a sinus sufferer

deus701, Mar 10, 7:27am
Im not sure about this but wasn't there a government programme or subsidy providing young children with goats milk? My younger cousin had that and she grew up with healthier complexion, stronger bones..generally better health than her own siblings.

donald6, Mar 10, 11:09am
k1andb2, we hand milk a goat & we bring the milk up to the boil to get rid of any bugs that may be in it. It does sometimes taste different from cow's milk, depending on what she eats. Don't store it in a plastic bottle as it can take on the plastic taste, a glass jar is better. We use it in our coffee, porridge & make yoghurt as well as use it for cooking. Best of luck.

k1andb2, Mar 10, 8:13pm
Well, no1 noticed the difference, at least they havn't commented on it. Hubby even had it on his cereal and didn't seem to notice the difference.Even I tried a small amount in a glass (and I dont drink cows milk, never have even as a child) and it wasn't too bad, definately didn't smell or taste of goat. Plus it's cheap - $1.50 per litre, though only last 3-4 days.The farmer also makes goats milk feta which he sells for $4 per 100g, which he gave me some to try and was really yummy too.Think we may be converted to goats milk without anyone else in the family knowing hehehehe.

purplegoanna, Mar 10, 8:20pm
well done you, i dont drink milk either & would have to persuade 'him indoors' using your cunning wiley ways too..

kamitchell, Mar 10, 8:53pm
We have two goats we milk for the house and we love it.$1.50 a litre is cheap too! I would keep on to this source if you can.Our main focus to have goats milk was for our kids excema & asthma, the excema cleared up within 2 weeks & ,my boy who has asthma has only used his inhaler twice in this whole time!!Huge benefits!!!!

fester7, Mar 10, 9:10pm
Goats milk is liquid gold.We milk our goat and no one would tell it wasn't cows milk that visits. Good hygenically milked and filtered milk cooled quickly after milking has no "goaty" taste.
Most times lactose intolerent peoples can tolerate goats milk as the protein is a much smaller easily digestible molecule than cows. Google is your friend. I would reccommend trying fresh goats milk.If the goats are in good health and milk cleanly "milked" i see no reason to pastuerise unless you have immune issues we are all getting too precious!

pickles7, Mar 11, 7:22am
We milked Toggenburg goats, great milkers .
We tricked a farmer once, he didn't guess he had goats milk in his coffee, swore he would never try it, coz it would taste of billy goats. We got him good.

motorbo, Mar 11, 7:22am
though im using cows milk again at the mo, when i did give it up i tried every afforable type(almond too expensive) and it was the one i liked the most i could easily go back, im not keen on soy milk, or rice (blurgh!)cows milk is bad if you r a sinus sufferer