My chutney is growing mould!!

weepingwillow, Mar 8, 2:25am
A couple of weeks ago a friend gave me a load of tomatoes and I made some yummy chutney. Just got the next jar out of the cupboard and its grown mould. What is the cause of this ??

wildflower, Mar 8, 2:47am
Maybe some air in the jar?

kinna54, Mar 8, 2:54am
What a shame after all the hard work making it. Did you do a jam type seal or a preserving seal? sometimes not enough cooking will leave the chutney acidic which could also cause this.

weepingwillow, Mar 8, 3:37am
I used a jam seal with a rubber band. I cooked it much longer than recipe stated and was so careful heating jars etc. So disappointed as it tastes yummy and it's the first time in years I have done bottling.

dollertree, Mar 8, 3:55am
It could be the moisture in the jar. Did you cool the chutney properly before placing in jar. Also these hot temperature we are having here can cause change....maybe

pickles7, Mar 8, 4:28am
Did you use acid free tomatoes???

jag5, Mar 8, 4:45am
Did you sterilise the jars?Have the cellophane seals sunk down nice and tight...as this would indicate air tight seals...if they haven't then there is your answer.Did you bottle them hot....chutney and relish needs to be done hot...sauces can be done cold.

lythande1, Mar 8, 5:52am
Non-sterile jars/lids.
This is why I use brewers sterilising solution for mine.

kinna54, Mar 8, 9:26am
agree about the sterilisation. Jars need to be sterilised for at least 30mins in oven at 120deg C. All pickles and chutneys should be placed into the heatedjars whilst still hot, ladled straight from the hot pot into the jars/bottles.It should be so hot that you need an oven glove to hold .Any seals should also be sterilised and hot when placed on.
Good luck with your future endeavours.

kinna54, Mar 8, 9:33am
Just had another thought as well. Have heard from others that they have had trouble lately with vinegar going off and not keeping, sediment etc settling in it. There's another possibility.

weepingwillow, Mar 9, 12:33am
Sterilised jars through dishwasher and put in oven before started chutney. I used moneymaker and beef steak tomatoes and bottled while hot straight from the pot. I used the plastic jam covers with a rubber band. Wet cover as per instructions and put on jars while hot. I think I brought new vinegar but may have used up an old bottle so maybe thats the problem!!

weepingwillow, Mar 9, 2:25am
A couple of weeks ago a friend gave me a load of tomatoes and I made some yummy chutney. Just got the next jar out of the cupboard and its grown mould. What is the cause of this !

wildflower, Mar 9, 2:47am
Maybe some air in the jar!

kinna54, Mar 9, 2:54am
What a shame after all the hard work making it. Did you do a jam type seal or a preserving seal! sometimes not enough cooking will leave the chutney acidic which could also cause this.

weepingwillow, Mar 9, 3:37am
I used a jam seal with a rubber band. I cooked it much longer than recipe stated and was so careful heating jars etc. So disappointed as it tastes yummy and it's the first time in years I have done bottling.

dollertree, Mar 9, 3:55am
It could be the moisture in the jar. Did you cool the chutney properly before placing in jar. Also these hot temperature we are having here can cause change.maybe

pickles7, Mar 9, 4:28am
Did you use acid free tomatoes!

jag5, Mar 9, 4:45am
Did you sterilise the jars!Have the cellophane seals sunk down nice and tight.as this would indicate air tight seals.if they haven't then there is your answer.Did you bottle them hot.chutney and relish needs to be done hot.sauces can be done cold.

kinna54, Mar 9, 9:33am
Just had another thought as well. Have heard from others that they have had trouble lately with vinegar going off and not keeping, sediment etc settling in it. There's another possibility.

weepingwillow, Mar 10, 12:33am
Sterilised jars through dishwasher and put in oven before started chutney. I used moneymaker and beef steak tomatoes and bottled while hot straight from the pot. I used the plastic jam covers with a rubber band. Wet cover as per instructions and put on jars while hot. I think I brought new vinegar but may have used up an old bottle so maybe thats the problem!