I'm making tamarillo chutney - wife is away - help

wron, Jul 28, 4:11am
I posted before trying to locate tamarillos as is end of seasdon, found some lovely big ones in West Auckland (Borich's on HW 16 for $10 / k, next place up the Rd was $19.99!!!!). Anyway I'm making the recipe in Digby Laws Pickle and Chutney Cookbook and he includes 1 1/2 tea spoons of dry mustard along with the spices. Now there's a hand written red cross by this ingredient so I'm wondering if my darling left it out last time we made this brew in 2003! Would such a small amount make much difference to the taste? The recipe has 24 fruit (just over 2K, 500g onions and 750g apples. Thanks guys.

elliehen, Jul 28, 4:51am
Personally,I'd leave the mustard in.

Maybe the cross meant 'remember to buy more dry mustard', or 'must not forget to put mustard in' or 'drat, have run out of mustard, so had to leave it out'....

elliehen, Jul 28, 4:55am
Have just looked up Aunt Daisy's very old recipe and found Tree Tomato Chutney.It has half a packet of mixed spice, a scant half-teaspoon of cayenne, but no mustard.I'll post the entire recipe in a minute or two :)

elliehen, Jul 28, 4:59am
AUNT DAISY'S TREE TOMATO CHUTNEY
About 3lbs tree tomatoes, skinned and cut up with 1lb of onions and 1 & 1/2 lbs apples, a pint of vinegar, 2 & 1/2 lb brown sugar, half a packet of mixed spice, a tablespoon of salt, and a scant half-teaspoon cayenne.This should not need more than an hour's boiling.Will make about 5 & 1/2 lb.the only chutney which is better with onions than with garlic.

So says Aunt Daisy.It might be useful to compare hers with Digby Law's.

eastie3, Jul 28, 7:15am
I have made this recipe and the first time I also left the mustard out,simply by forgetting to add it.The chutney was fine without it.Good luck.

wron, Jul 28, 11:00am
Thanks everyone!
Elliehen, I'd already mixed up everything from the Digby version and my wife has arrived home from the the depths of the Waikato - she says we had mustard last time so it's in now and will be brewed up tomorrow.
No cayenne in this recipe - neither of us are very keen on it. Cheers.

wron, Jul 29, 4:11am
I posted before trying to locate tamarillos as is end of seasdon, found some lovely big ones in West Auckland (Borich's on HW 16 for $10 / k, next place up the Rd was $19.99!). Anyway I'm making the recipe in Digby Laws Pickle and Chutney Cookbook and he includes 1 1/2 tea spoons of dry mustard along with the spices. Now there's a hand written red cross by this ingredient so I'm wondering if my darling left it out last time we made this brew in 2003! Would such a small amount make much difference to the taste! The recipe has 24 fruit (just over 2K, 500g onions and 750g apples. Thanks guys.

elliehen, Jul 29, 4:51am
Personally,I'd leave the mustard in.

Maybe the cross meant 'remember to buy more dry mustard', or 'must not forget to put mustard in' or 'drat, have run out of mustard, so had to leave it out'.

elliehen, Jul 29, 4:55am
Have just looked up Aunt Daisy's very old recipe and found Tree Tomato Chutney.It has half a packet of mixed spice, a scant half-teaspoon of cayenne, but no mustard.I'll post the entire recipe in a minute or two :)

elliehen, Jul 29, 4:59am
AUNT DAISY'S TREE TOMATO CHUTNEY
About 3lbs tree tomatoes, skinned and cut up with 1lb of onions and 1 & 1/2 lbs apples, a pint of vinegar, 2 & 1/2 lb brown sugar, half a packet of mixed spice, a tablespoon of salt, and a scant half-teaspoon cayenne.This should not need more than an hour's boiling.Will make about 5 & 1/2 lb.the only chutney which is better with onions than with garlic.

So says Aunt Daisy.It might be useful to compare hers with Digby Law's.

wron, Jul 29, 11:00am
Thanks everyone!
Elliehen, I'd already mixed up everything from the Digby version and my wife has arrived home from the the depths of the Waikato - she says we had mustard last time so it's in now and will be brewed up tomorrow.
No cayenne in this recipe - neither of us are very keen on it. Cheers.

jean, Jun 30, 6:41am
I have just made tamarillo chutney it had 350mg of preserved ginger. don,t seem to find any in shops. so have used crystylised hope it,s ok. reply ta.