Pancakes/Shrove Tuesday

Page 1 / 2
sarahb5, Mar 5, 10:56pm
Do you just make the traditional pancakes and serve them with lemon and sugar, or do you go for the thick, fluffy American style and serve them with something else?

lizab, Mar 5, 11:48pm
the crepe type definitely with lemon and sugar :)

elliehen, Mar 6, 12:08am
...and cinnamon :)

gardie, Mar 6, 12:11am
This Tuesday - I always make pancakes with my kids at school - thanks for the reminder.

sarahb5, Mar 6, 5:27am
Not in our house - just lemon and sugar

And yes Shrove Tuesday is this Tuesday

lindylambchops1, Mar 6, 6:23am
Pancakes Yummmm....2 eggs & 2 cups milk whisk together then add 2 cups SR flour.Whisk all together until there are no lumps.

1/4 cup of mixture makes one pancake.

Enjoy!Serve with sugar, honey, Nutella, fresh orange juice or whatever you desire!

jag5, Mar 6, 7:50am
The one day of the year my ex used to cook

duckmoon, Mar 6, 9:04am
crepe type

elliehen, Mar 6, 9:09am
"In modern English, the word 'Shrove' has no meaning outside of pancake or Shrove Tuesday.Academics can trace shrove to the past tense of the verb shrive, which itself means absolution.This derivation helps to cement the meaning of eating up luxury food before the penance of fasting during Lent.
Remember that it's Easter that fixes the date for Shrove Tuesday.Therefore working backwards, we have Lent with its 40 days of fasting before we get to Easter.Now Lent starts on Ash Wednesday, so the day before is when cooks use up all the 'naughty foods'. In the olden days two 'naughty foods', which are not allowed in Lent, would be butter and eggs - ideal for making pancakes.Hence Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Day.

Curiously, when calculating Lent, Sundays don't count, hence Shrove Tuesday is actually 47 days before Easter Sunday."

So eat up all your naughty foods, folks ;)

sarahb5, Mar 6, 9:30pm
My mum always wanted to be catholic on Ash Wednesday so that she could have the ash cross on her forehead!I haven't yet decided what to give up for Lent - cooking maybe?I always intend for it to be chocolate, biscuits or coffee and rarely succeed for the whole period but if Lent technically doesn't include Sundays then I could have them on those days couldn't I?

fogs, Mar 6, 10:34pm
Not in my family we used to have them with lemon jiuce and sugar. Did you know that in France Shrove Tuesday is called Mardi Gras meaning fat Tuesday. named for the feast day before Ash Wednesday. I found that out recently and was quitre suprised as that term usually seems to be used for carnivals

sarahb5, Mar 6, 10:56pm
Do you just make the traditional pancakes and serve them with lemon and sugar, or do you go for the thick, fluffy American style and serve them with something else!

elliehen, Mar 7, 12:02am
Yes, that's the way it's celebrated in the US too - the famous New Orleans Mardi Gras is an example.

Edited to add this link :http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/mgdates.html

elliehen, Mar 7, 12:08am
.and cinnamon :)

duckmoon, Mar 7, 4:17am
my friends teenage son wanted to give up vegetables for lent

duckmoon, Mar 7, 4:19am
yip, in the Christian Tradition, Sundays can never be a fast day, they are always feast days (feast-ivals)...So avoid chocolate six days a week, and then have a feast day

lindylambchops1, Mar 7, 6:23am
Pancakes Yummmm.2 eggs & 2 cups milk whisk together then add 2 cups SR flour.Whisk all together until there are no lumps.

1/4 cup of mixture makes one pancake.

Enjoy!Serve with sugar, honey, Nutella, fresh orange juice or whatever you desire!

elliehen, Mar 7, 9:09am
"In modern English, the word 'Shrove' has no meaning outside of pancake or Shrove Tuesday.Academics can trace shrove to the past tense of the verb shrive, which itself means absolution.This derivation helps to cement the meaning of eating up luxury food before the penance of fasting during Lent.
Remember that it's Easter that fixes the date for Shrove Tuesday.Therefore working backwards, we have Lent with its 40 days of fasting before we get to Easter.Now Lent starts on Ash Wednesday, so the day before is when cooks use up all the 'naughty foods'. In the olden days two 'naughty foods', which are not allowed in Lent, would be butter and eggs - ideal for making pancakes.Hence Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Day.

Curiously, when calculating Lent, Sundays don't count, hence Shrove Tuesday is actually 47 days before Easter Sunday."

So eat up all your naughty foods, folks ;)

dollmakernz, Mar 7, 11:19am
Definately crepes! and whenever the nuns at school asked me what I was giving up for Lent, my answer was always SCHOOL! You think they would've got the message by about the 3rd year wouldn't you? LOL!

sarahb5, Mar 7, 8:41pm
I would've said work until I did actually give up and now I'm bored - maybe I should give up not working?

And thanks duckie for your wisdom - I shall now look forward to Sundays even more!

sarahb5, Mar 7, 9:30pm
My mum always wanted to be catholic on Ash Wednesday so that she could have the ash cross on her forehead!I haven't yet decided what to give up for Lent - cooking maybe!I always intend for it to be chocolate, biscuits or coffee and rarely succeed for the whole period but if Lent technically doesn't include Sundays then I could have them on those days couldn't I!

elliehen, Mar 8, 12:02am
Yes, that's the way it's celebrated in the US too - the famous New Orleans Mardi Gras is an example.

Edited to add this link :http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/mgdates.html

duckmoon, Mar 8, 4:17am
my friends teenage son wanted to give up vegetables for lent

duckmoon, Mar 8, 4:19am
yip, in the Christian Tradition, Sundays can never be a fast day, they are always feast days (feast-ivals).So avoid chocolate six days a week, and then have a feast day

dollmakernz, Mar 8, 11:19am
Definately crepes! and whenever the nuns at school asked me what I was giving up for Lent, my answer was always SCHOOL! You think they would've got the message by about the 3rd year wouldn't you! LOL!