What did you bake today?

Page 3 / 4
jenner4, Mar 8, 6:02am
Today I made Nashi ,ginger and walnut cakes and going to make courgette and chocolate cake, a bit like the beetroot chocolate cake , we have lots of courgettes and beetroots not ready

lizab, Mar 8, 8:51am
Double batch of caramel crumble and a dozen raisin buns - all wrapped up individually in gladwrap ready for lunchboxes :)

jenner4, Mar 9, 6:53am
What is shortening please

elliehen, Mar 9, 8:02am
Fat used in baking, such as butter, animal fats (e.g. lard) or vegetable fat.

elliehen, Mar 9, 8:04am
That comment is SOOOOOOO last year.......;)

buzzy110, Mar 9, 8:36am
I'm sorry your innocent amazement was greeted by such a negative response earlier. Just ignore them. There is a group of people here who become very defensive if you dare to question the amount of sugar that goes into some baking.

So saying that I spent the day making some amazing baking - Fresh Mint Cake with slivered almond crust, Black Magic Chocolate cake with creamy filling and ganache frosting, Kahlua and White Chocolate Truffles and a few other things. It has been years since I last baked in earnest and at the end of the day I'd used 3kg of sugar.!!!

My reaction was the same as yours. I feel guilty that I will be giving these things to other people to eat. I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight. I wish I'd been assigned the savoury foods.

elliehen, Mar 9, 9:10am
Practise being assertive.Next time ask to be assigned the savoury foods.Sleep well at night...

buzzy110, Mar 9, 9:17am
No. That wouldn't of worked at all. I produce amazing and very different baked goods when the muse takes me, much better than any of the normal stuff that people think of as haute cusine. The person asking knew this and as the occasion is very very special, I had to bite the bullet.

elliehen, Mar 9, 9:22am
You've invented a tenth Muse?A Muse of baking??

I suppose Nigella could qualify as a New Age Muse...

idgit1969, Mar 9, 8:09pm
Last night I made Chocolate Button Biscuits and Kisses! So yummy! I have been making a conscious effort of baking all our cakes and biscuits instead of buying them for the last 4 months. If I buy any biscuits it's wine biscuits so I can make some fudge up.

lizab, Mar 9, 9:53pm
2 dozen banana and sultana muffins, election special and chocolate brownie (going to visit my 20 yr old son, so have been baking for him this last week)

jenner4, Mar 10, 3:59am
Buzzy
Fresh Mint Cake with slivered almond crust, Black Magic Chocolate cake with creamy filling and ganache frosting,Come now you just have to tell us how to make what sounds like cakes from heaven

elliehen, Mar 10, 8:37am

elliehen, Mar 10, 8:54am
http://www.mrscake.co.nz/
Mrs Cake will know :)

jenner4, Mar 12, 12:36am
Sorry cant find a fresh mint cake but found the Black Magic cake and boy that sounds so good , must away and make it , many thanks

elliehen, Mar 12, 1:35am
Maybe buzzy110 just dreamt about it...

rrrg, Mar 12, 5:45am
Black forest cookies sound yum - I'd like the recipe too

antoniab, Mar 12, 5:51am
Me three! Just scanned through trying to see if it was put up - sounds delish! I just made beetroot brownies from taste mag - and hubby is making homemade tortelini now mmmm glad he's doing the kneading not me!

tielfan, Mar 12, 6:05am
Way too hot here to bake today, will do it Monday I think and have a lot of oats to use so may do some cookies for the kindy boxes.The only think baking was the kids bottoms as they insisted on running around the garden without pants (with 50spf block on all the skin exposed).

elliehen, Mar 12, 6:09am
Found this one on the web....American Pound Cake has the texture of a Madeira Cake and gets its name from original recipes which had a pound of butter, a pound of sugar, a pound of flour etc...There are loads of recipes on the web for a Slivered Almond Crust.
FRESH MINT POUND CAKE
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 6-ounce container plain regular or low-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons milk or soy milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and lightly flour a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper, if desired.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed with a stand mixer or handheld electric mixer. (You can also use a manual rotary mixer.) When the butter mixture is light and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.

Add the yogurt, milk and vanilla extract, and beat until smooth. Turn the mixer speed to low, and slowly add the flour. Beat just until smooth. Fold in the mint. The batter will be thick.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula if necessary. Place the pan on the center rack of the preheated oven. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until the top of the cake is golden brown and a pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Transfer the cake in its pan to a cooling rack, and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan return the cake to the rack until it has cooled completely.

Cake may be wrapped in foil and stored at room temperature for one week, or in the freezer for two months.

suie1, Mar 29, 2:59am
I made Cheese biscuits, Chocolate Hot Cross Buns, and Ginger Crunch.

elliehen, Mar 29, 8:30am
It's mentioned so often, I think GInger Crunch must be New Zealand's Number One baking favourite :)

kinna54, Mar 30, 6:05am
evorotoruas cake and its awesome!! Made it in a deep round spring form tin. Didn't have any self raising flour so just used ordinary and baking powder and sifted it well. Rose beautifully. This will keep us going for the week., (if I can hide it from hubby) along with the caramel meringue slice I made the other day.

cookessentials, Mar 30, 6:43am
Give it a rest. I must say I'm amazed that you were apologising for a start and then apologising for someone else. Such a stirrer you are and obviously very bored. Get a life.

cookessentials, Mar 30, 6:45am
No baking for me today, however, i did make those choc muffins from "A Good Spread" book..they are very moist and nice and chocolatey and they freeze well