What Does Bake Blind mean?

corgi731, Feb 3, 6:50am
For a Quiche, when it says Bake Blind? (This is in the Edmonds Cook Book) Then it says remove bake blind material?? Eh, Whats that??

arcane1315, Feb 3, 6:52am
Put a piece of baking paper on top of your crust, then put rice on top of that, and bake for as long as it tells you.when it is done, just keep following the recipe - remove the rice and the paper, and put in your filling etc.

winnie15, Feb 3, 6:53am
it when you bake the case without the filling .. so you put baking paper on the case and weigh it down with dried beans or rice or pastry weights and cook for however long it says, then remove the material . So it's precooking the pastry and it prevents it going soggy

tigerlilly16, Feb 3, 6:55am
it means you gotta poke your eyes out before cooking :D

nah, it means you have to cook the crust a bit before you put in the filling, and to keep it's shape you can use dried beans or similar or buy special clay baking beads. You can use baking paper, line the pie crust with that, then add your beans/etc then bake for specified time.

arcane1315, Feb 3, 7:02am
the first time I did this I didn't know how to do it either, but I remembered my mum used to put rice in, but what I didn't remember was the baking paper first.Do you have any idea how difficult it is to pick out pieces of rice from a baked crust, LOL!!!Gave up and it went in the bin

245sam, Feb 3, 7:03am
corgi731, bake blind = as advised above and the "bake blind material" is the rice, beans, etc. or ceramic baking beads that are used to weigh the baking paper down.When you remove the "bake blind material" don't discard it - allow it to cool, then keep it in a container for future blind baking but don't expect to make a nice creamy rice pudding or yummy bean salad with the rice or beans.

Hope that helps.:-))

245sam, Feb 3, 7:07am
arcane1315, I assume by your posting above that you've had better luck since that first time but what a pity that you didn't remember the baking paper (or maybe it was greaseproof paper that your Mum used) - I guess that's called learning by experience and it's something that you will never forget in future.Good on you for trying again.:-))

corgi731, Feb 3, 7:08am
yay, thanks everyone... had a good laugh too... Man missed that lesson

unknowndisorder, Feb 3, 8:03am
I'd always been nervous about blind baking, it just didn't didn't sit right for some reason. I used rice (and baking paper) and threw it out. I thought it was fun, sso have now bought ceramic beads for it, but not managed to find something to practice with/time.

harrislucinda, Feb 3, 9:01am
riceisnotreallyheavy enoughtoholddownwhilecookingbesttousedriedbeans

melford, Feb 3, 9:12am
You do not need to use any weights when baking blind. Just put the pie case in the freezer for 15 minutes and cook as usual. Works beautifully and you don't have all that fiddling around

greerg, Feb 3, 9:21am
I use beans and the freezer - doesn't it rise in the middle with just the freezer Melford?What a lot of baking paper and haricot beans I've wasted then.The beans do start to smell rather odd if you use them too often.I also fell into the no baking paper trap the first time.

davidt4, Feb 3, 7:56pm
I agree.Just prick the pastry case well and freeze it - I give it an hour, or overnight if more convenient - and put it straight into the oven set at 180C.There is absolutely no need to fiddle around with baking paper and pastry weights.

corgi731, Feb 3, 8:50pm
no way... that is soooo much easier... I'll have to try it!!

melford, Feb 4, 3:49am
No it doesn't rise. As davidt said prick it all over first

greerg, Feb 4, 7:13am
Tried just putting in the freezer today and you are so right.Never to old to revise the habits of a lifetime - that's one I inherited from my mother.Thanks melford.

sam1523, Feb 10, 2:43am
Interesting reading about freezing the pastry-do you still cook first unfilled or does the freezing mean you can add filling and cook and it wont go soggy?

davidt4, Feb 10, 2:56am
If the recipe tells you to blind bake you need to bake the pastry shell unfilled then fill it, but there is no need to line it with paper and weights before you do so if you freeze it first.

corgi731, Apr 6, 6:53pm
I tried it, it worked well....... The only thing was my dish cracked...Whether is was a cheapie not sure.....