sauerkraut?

patsy3, Feb 28, 7:14am
Korean Kimchi, quite yummy, google some recipes I guess

patsy3, Feb 28, 7:32am
Oops, Kim Chi, is fermented cabbage.

harrislucinda, Feb 28, 8:36am
itryed thisandohhhhyuck

uli, Feb 28, 8:39am
I make it all the time - and I find it wonderful - so do Millions of Koreans :)

elliehen, Feb 28, 8:59am
Except that Korean friends have told me they store it separately because they acknowledge that, tasty as it is, it stinks ;)

uli, Feb 28, 9:04am
Well traditionally it is stored buried in the earth :)
However in high rise Seoul that might not be possible now.

I wouldn't store any fermented stuff near dairy products, as of course it would taint butter etc. But a normal screw top jar is pretty smell tight.

pickles7, Feb 28, 9:17am
I understand the smell comes out of your pores, in your skin.

beaker59, Feb 28, 9:28am
Are you trying to say Ellie smells like cabbage ..... tut tut ..... thats mean ;)

elliehen, Feb 28, 9:32am
I think YOU are, beaker...you're the big bad meanie, pretending to misunderstand sweet pickles who wouldn't dream of insulting anyone!

lu_lu1, Feb 28, 9:39am
ed65 wrote:

Mrs McGregor's Cabbage Pickle (from the Fiordland Cook Book)

Ingredients: 1 large cabbage (it says green but red should be OK?), 4 medium sized onions, 1 litre vinegar, 1/2 cup flour, 2 cups sugar, 1 T curry powder, 1 T dry mustard, 1 T turmeric, 1/2 litre extra vinegar.

Method: Shred the cabbage and onions finely. Place into a large bowl and sprinkle the salt over the surface, leave for 24 hours. Drain. Tip into a preserving pan, add the litre of vinegar and boil slowly for 20 minutes. Mix the flour, sugar, curry powder, mustard and turmeric together. Stir in the 1/2 litre of vinegar and mix until smooth. Add to boiling cabbage stirring until thick. Boil for 5 minutes. Spoon into dry hot jars. Seal.

:)

Quoteelliehen (3367 )8:31 pm, Mon 28 Feb #4
Isn't that a recipe for,,,, pickles,,,, lol.
not,,,,sauerkraut...

elliehen, Feb 28, 9:46am
joro4us just asked for 'preserved cabbage' so until she comes back and gives more information, it's anybody's guess ;)

pickles7, Feb 28, 9:56am
I am sorry if that is how "you" see my post.

elliehen, Feb 28, 10:06am
This might be what joro4us is looking for...she'll have to come back and tell everybody.

beaker59, Feb 28, 10:09am
I might be a gruff pirate of dubious vintage but never a meanie. Sweet pickles now theres a thought.

beaker59, Feb 28, 10:15am
I've eaten some nice sauerkraut in Germany but never had much luck making it myself it seems so simple yet has always eluded me.

Often had it served with some wurst on a roll in the pubs with a bier, marvelous :)

elliehen, Feb 28, 10:32am
I'll give the gruff pirate the benefit of the doubt- I did select his personal icon ;)

uli, Feb 27, 8:37am
bump - as I have 7 cabbages getting ready to be preserved - so there might be others around with that "problem" too :)

isis., Feb 28, 6:31am
sauerkraut!

uli, Feb 28, 9:04am
Well traditionally it is stored buried in the earth :)
However in high rise Seoul that might not be possible now.

I wouldn't store any fermented stuff near dairy products, as of course it would taint butter etc. But a normal screw top jar is pretty smell tight.

beaker59, Feb 28, 9:28am
Are you trying to say Ellie smells like cabbage . tut tut . thats mean ;)

elliehen, Feb 28, 9:32am
I think YOU are, beaker.you're the big bad meanie, pretending to misunderstand sweet pickles who wouldn't dream of insulting anyone!

lu_lu1, Feb 28, 9:39am
ed65 wrote:

Mrs McGregor's Cabbage Pickle (from the Fiordland Cook Book)

Ingredients: 1 large cabbage (it says green but red should be OK!), 4 medium sized onions, 1 litre vinegar, 1/2 cup flour, 2 cups sugar, 1 T curry powder, 1 T dry mustard, 1 T turmeric, 1/2 litre extra vinegar.

Method: Shred the cabbage and onions finely. Place into a large bowl and sprinkle the salt over the surface, leave for 24 hours. Drain. Tip into a preserving pan, add the litre of vinegar and boil slowly for 20 minutes. Mix the flour, sugar, curry powder, mustard and turmeric together. Stir in the 1/2 litre of vinegar and mix until smooth. Add to boiling cabbage stirring until thick. Boil for 5 minutes. Spoon into dry hot jars. Seal.

:)

Quoteelliehen (3367 )8:31 pm, Mon 28 Feb #4
Isn't that a recipe for,,,, pickles,,,, lol.
not,,,,sauerkraut.

elliehen, Feb 28, 9:46am
joro4us just asked for 'preserved cabbage' so until she comes back and gives more information, it's anybody's guess ;)