Bran Muffins - are they really bad for you?

Page 2 / 5
joybells2, Feb 22, 9:41am
Kuaka, yes that is correct.Being a diabetic bran is good for keeping the sugar levels at an even keel but I do make my muffins with an artifical sweetner.

lx4000, Feb 22, 11:01am
more savory, fluffy. Hard to say but ohhh so yummie!! Very soft also and not like bread.

rkcroft, Feb 22, 8:41pm
I think if you lost the "Duh" at the beginning then the post wouldn't have sounded so offensive.

cookessentials, Feb 22, 10:22pm
if you want to ask a question, you are more than welcome to ask on the circle of friends thread as you wont get the type of rude posts you get from certain posters here. 90% of posters on the recipe section are helpful and non judgemental, sadly, the other 10% are not. Nothing wrong with bran muffins at all, they have plenty of fibre and are filling. If you are concerned about the sugar, you can always cut it down a little or maybe not make them regularly.

wasgonna, Feb 23, 3:37am
And the bran muffins help make the old dears go pooooooooooos.

uli, Feb 23, 3:42am
I can never understand what the problem with fat is for diabetics. Fat does NOT do anything to the sugar levels at all.
However the bran, sugar, crackers etc do - they are carbs.
I can only guess the old myth of "fat makes you fat" is still at work there.

lythande1, Feb 23, 4:21am
More like he doesn't like them.
Make a fruit muffin with white flour and see if he says the same thing.

Of course it's not "healthy". It's a cake. Sugar.
But a muffin now and then won't kill you. Just moderation as in all things.

buzzy110, Feb 23, 5:57am
Actually I think that honey is better than sugar. However, I won't elucidate as I've already been referred to as rude for posting my opinion on sugar. Seems that if one doesn't believe the "we all need sugar" mantra or believes that sugar is not a pure, healthy food that won't harm us in moderation, and says so, one is considered rude. Lol.

buzzy110, Feb 23, 5:59am
If I had a muffin every day for lunch I would gain weight not lose. However, I do not, and never have had, a spare 60kg to lose.

knowsley, Feb 23, 6:01am
By that statement, if you had the same calorie value of, say, eggs as muffins, you'd also gain weight.

uli, Feb 23, 6:04am
Calories in versus calories out - the old myth is coming back to haunt us ...

knowsley, Feb 23, 6:07am
It's not a myth, and it never left us. Some people are just too ignorant to understand it, and somehow think as long as you don't eat carbs, you can eat unlimited amounts of fat and protein and never get fat...

hestia, Feb 23, 7:27am
If it is really a myth, then what have you contributed to dispel the myth?

ferrit47, Feb 23, 9:50pm
You have the Right to post in here. Take No Notice .

buzzy110, Feb 23, 11:01pm
And this from someone who doesn't know how bad high quantities of fructose is for the human body. Too bad that sugar is one part glucose and one part fructose.

And once again you perpetuate the myth that, like sweet foods, one can eat unlimited quantities offat and protein. All the evidence points to obesity being caused by over eating carbs derived from grains and sugar.

Oh well. Next you'll be posting your tin hat post, just because you have no other useful, or relevant knowledge to support your opposition of a diet that is made up of high protein, moderate fats and low carbs - with the carbs derived mainly from low carb vegetables and some fruit.

buzzy110, Feb 23, 11:03pm
We have posted the information, many times, to dispel that myth but those on these boards who do not want to know the evidence seem unable to remember it. However, we have posted, often enough, a list of books you could read that would, once and for all, totally dispel the myth, if you could be bothered to read one.

elliehen, Feb 23, 11:34pm
There are hundreds of people in Christchurch right now who would appreciate a bran muffin.If you have power and can still bake, bake muffins for someone who has none.

Muffins are easy to make, transport well, and can feel like a whole meal to a hungry person.The kind thoughts that go with the muffin will do good to the giver and the recipient.

kay141, Feb 23, 11:55pm
Of course you have, every chance you get, regardless of the question. We know you preferred way of eating will cure everything. It must be lovely to be so much more perfect and knowledgeable than the rest of us poor creatures.

buzzy110, Feb 24, 12:00am
Tut tut. Is that the best you can do? You asked for us to once again post proof and when you get a response, showing you where you can get that proof from and pointing out that the proof has been posted over and over again, you throw a wee tanty and get all sarcastic.

We know stuff because we pick up books and read. I am deeply disturbed that you find that objectionable.

kay141, Feb 24, 12:08am
It appears to me you only read anything which will back up your theories. I am sure there are books, articles etc. which completely contradict your theories but they seem to be completely ignored by you. Your many quotes pushing books by certain authors make me wonder if you are on commission.

vintagekitty, Feb 24, 12:10am
whats your lot?, get a grip. You are boring, your posts are boring. You dont offer anything except pushing your own thoughts and opinions. And then post childish comments like "tut, tut is tthat the best you can do". Are you 12?.

kay141, Feb 24, 12:18am
You beat me to it with the question about my lot. As buzzy110 knows nothing about my diet, health or life, I wonder who I am lumped in with. Nice people I hope.

hestia, Feb 24, 12:21am
The information posted has not been convincing. It is a law of Physics, and no law can be considered a myth.

And, yes, I have read one of those books - Drs Eades' Protein Power. It does not dispel the "myth", which is really a law.

hestia, Feb 24, 12:23am
It would be better to read a Physics textbook.

buzzy110, Feb 24, 12:29am
No. I have read them as well kay. I have spent a lifetime reading all sorts of books. The fact that I am now heavily in favour of a nutritional path 'less well trodden' is because of both my experience in the past, with the more traditional dogma and my experience in the present, of the less acceptable (to others) advice. However, proof to back up the fact that 'calories in, calories out' is a myth was asked for and that proof is in the books we have listed.