So Masterchef NZ kicks off

Page 2 / 11
bedazzledjewels, Feb 20, 8:24pm
But if you wanted to be in the competition, you'd realise that that's what you had to do. Wouldn't suit me either - but I'm not in the comp.
I agree that it was a bit provacative and made good tv. It wasn't the only brains dish cooked though and the judges tasted the other dish without hesitation.

nfh1, Feb 20, 8:26pm
I would realise I would have to try meat but I don't think I would have ever thought it would be brains.Good for TV though, gets sympathy for the young cook and made the judge look a bit of a wotsit!

elliehen, Feb 20, 10:20pm
The judges look so stupid as they slowly chew and and glare and stare and play humiliation games.It's a pity the young man didn't projectile vomit over Gault's shirtfront.

The first programme absolutely proved to me that it's going to be a mix of TV Idol and Fear Factor, with three high-profile chefs miscast as entertainers.But that's exactly what I expected, so I'm not disappointed.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 20, 10:27pm
Yep - entertainment first and foremost. You get on by either being unusual or being able to cook well. That's the fun of it all!
By the way - that flounder dish looked very good.

elliehen, Feb 20, 10:46pm
There are certainly more colourful 'characters' in the final selection this year.Next year's series hopefuls should take note and do a theatre sports course to prepare.

I doubt that the programme will inspire any aspiring cooks in the viewer audience to great or greater heights.Might as well watch a cook on YouTube for that.

It will, though, make the viewers hungry enough to haul themselves off the sofas during the ads for snacks ;)

bedazzledjewels, Feb 20, 11:02pm
Too true Ellie.

nfh1, Feb 20, 11:28pm
Now that would have made good TV - the most viewed shirt on YouTube!!

nfh1, Feb 20, 11:29pm
or ring for a take away.

jbsouthland, Feb 21, 1:39am
I'm a meat eater But no way wouldI eat brains ....Yuk...Don't think you have to taste everything youcook ...must be alot of people allergic that can"t don't...eg nuts,seafood. I chose not to eat offal myself. Just seemed mean to me that the guy was put on the spot, partner disagreed with me....but then he'd eat anything apart from tripe !!!lol.

nfh1, Feb 21, 1:50am
I definitely thought it was mean - brains would be a step to far for me, well thousands of steps to be honest!

bedazzledjewels, Feb 21, 3:44am
Brains were actually eaten quite often when I was a child. As was pressed tongue and liver. But I haven't cooked them myself.

motorbo, Feb 21, 4:43am
i agree i wouldnt eat brains, and the poor guy was a vegetarian, and they did it in a mean way for the wow factor only it seemed

bedazzledjewels, Feb 27, 6:07am
Round 2 tonight.

elliehen, Feb 27, 6:08am
Hoping the brains are used tonight and not consumed ;)

rainrain1, Feb 28, 12:32am
There is nothing wrong with a good brain, my father used to love brains, black pudding, tripe, sweetbreads, ox heart, kidneys, liver, he would eat the lot.I remember tasting them all.Brains taste not too bad, just ask Hannibal Lecter th th th th th th th th

wearitout, Mar 13, 6:22am
lol sorry to tell ya - he got married 2 weeks ago!

motorbo, Mar 13, 7:10am
ha ha im not suprised a honey like that wouldnt be on the shelf for long!! the ladies on kerres breaky sho today were even swooning over him

unknowndisorder, Mar 13, 8:30am
I really hope the guy from Tokoroa wins. The food he's coming up with always looks awesome. The one thing I thought tonight would let him down is he's not overly articulate, but I hope they just let his food do the talking for him, as it's doing a pretty good job so far.
His family must be extremely proud, no matter where his journey here ends.

aragorn2003, Mar 13, 8:33am
wonder if Simon will get a girl pregnant again this year

peachygotit, Mar 13, 8:37am
Cameron is from Putaruru not Tokoroa :)

unknowndisorder, Mar 13, 8:41am
Oops Peachy, I knew the town was down that way. Sorry for being useless at that one, he's definitely my favourite even if I can't remember his name or home town. His food does look awesome though and I still hope he wins.

peachygotit, Mar 13, 8:44am
yep we are all hoping he wins too.. the guy sure know's his flavors which is what this kind of cooking is all about, something i lack in unfortunately :( lol.

unknowndisorder, Mar 13, 9:22am
If he opens a restaurant/cafe down there, can you let me know, it'd make it worth it to stop there instead of the usual stop in Tirau.

As for you lacking in the flavour knowledge, I think he's just got a gift. What gets me is his dishes look so good I can almost smell them from here (even the pasta dish tonight, which I hate).

rainrain1, Mar 13, 7:09pm
Yes it's Cameron all the way for me too, he's the man

bedazzledjewels, Mar 13, 8:37pm
Do tell!!!!!