Hoki...in a curry?

4crittersnmee, Feb 19, 9:45am
I'd like to make a fish curry and wonder if hoki will be ok for this. I have a big lot in the freezer. Will it be too flakey?Any suggestion greedily welcome. Thanks.

tinabops, Feb 19, 7:33pm
Hoki is a soft fish and will flake up.Try making your curry sauce then add hoki and turn off the heat and leave for 5 minutes,The heat from sauce should be enough to cook hoki. Do not stir it up.
OR maybe try, egg and flour your fish and pan fry. Then add to your curry sauce just before serving.

elliehen, Feb 19, 9:26pm
tinabops' hint is a good one. I've made a Hoki tomato chowder just adding the fish at the end to whiten through and stay tender.

uli, Feb 19, 9:31pm
I would cut the hoki into bite sized pieces and lay in a baking dish - then pour sauce over and bake. That way you won't have it catch at the bottom of the pot and stir it to bits.

4crittersnmee, Feb 19, 9:43pm
Thanks. Good ideas.

Any great curry sauce recipes? :)

uli, Feb 19, 9:45pm
No - sorry.
I don't do curry sauces, but rather Thai or Indian curries.

Why not google?

bopeep80, Feb 20, 12:29am
My standard curry, for one person, starts with stir-frying 1 large finely diced onion,a heaped tsp of crushed garlic and a tsp of crushed ginger ( I buy the ready chopped varieties) When the onion mix is soft and transparent I add the following

1tsp ground coriander
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground turmeric
1tsp ground garam masala
½ tspchili powder
½ tspsalt
Lots of ground black pepper

I stir fry this mixture for a few minutes to release the flavours. Then if its a beef, lamb or chicken curry I add the meat then, and stir some more. Then I add a tin of Watties Indian tomatoes, and simmer it for about 15 minutes

If I'm making a fish curry though I only put the fish in at the end, and when I add in the canned tomatoes, I also add some coconut cream or milk.

The mix of spices I listed there, I usually make up in larger amounts and keep it in an air tight jar. Its easier to use tablespoon measurements in the same proportions if you are making it up like this. Then when I come to use it I use 3 heaped tsps per person, for the curry.

elliehen, Feb 20, 12:38am
There are quite a few recipes in old threads, if you do an Anytime search (top left).

fisher, Feb 20, 12:53am
Why Not lightly flour the Hoki and fry till nicely browned..
Serve up fish with curry sauce over the top...