What's your recipe must have?

Page 1 / 3
tarshlove, Feb 13, 11:57pm
So I'm writing myself a new recipe book and was thinking about recipe must haves so share what are yours?

lx4000, Feb 14, 12:46am
DUTCH APPLE CAKE

125g Butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 Cup warm smooth as apple sauce

2 Cups Flour (plain, wholemeal or a mix of)
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon cloves

2 Diced apples
1 Cup Raisins
! Cup Macadamia nuts (or nut of choice)

Mix sugar and butter then add eggs 1 at a time.

Slowly add apple sauce and mix well.

Stir in flour and dry ingredients.

Add diced apple, raisins and nuts.

Line a baking tin and bake at 180 for approx 45 mins.

This is the most moistest cake and soft cake out!! It makes a big cake and I always double it and freeze one:)

If you have it, you can replace the Cinnamon with a dutch spice mix called "Speculaas spice" and its just as Devinne!!

lx4000, Feb 14, 12:47am
Wholemeal Honey and Almond Cake

300g Butter
250g Caster sugar
4 Eggs
1 tspn Van Ess
150g Wholemeal Flour
2 tspn BP
150g Ground Almonds
50g Flaked Almonds
4 Tbspn Melted Honey

Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs 1 at a time and beat well. Add van ess and beat in well.
Stir in ground almonds.
Stir in flour and BP gently.
Pour into lined baking dish.
Spread flaked almonds on top.

Bake 40 - 45 mins 180

Remove from oven and pour melted honey over evenly.
Cool in tin.

lx4000, Feb 14, 12:50am
COCONUT LOAF
In a bowl mix together
1.5 cups flour
1.5 tsp bp,
1.5 cups coconut,
1 cup sugar,
1.5 cups milk,
2 tsp vanilla essence.

Bake at 160-180 deg C for an hour or so.

You can add the juice and zest of a couple of lemons with or with out sultanas too.

Devine!!

And yip, no eggs and no butter in this one!!

lx4000, Feb 14, 12:56am
IMPOSSIBLE SCONES

Melt 50g butter in a jug.

Whisk in 1 egg.

Add 2 cups of milk.

Add to 4 to 5+ cups of self-raising flour and mix with a knife. This should be a wettish mix.

Oven at 230oC for about 10 mins. Hope you enjoy them! Yummo!

Date or sultana scones. Soak dried fruit in milk for an hour or so before making.

You can add cheese, onion etc for savoury scones. Plain flour can be used, just add 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder Per Cup of flour used.

lx4000, Feb 14, 12:56am
ANY TIN FRUIT MUFFINS

2 c flour, 4 t baking powder, 1/2 c sugar, 1/2 t salt - put all into bowl.

Melt 75 g butter, add 1/2 c milk to butter and 1 egg + juice from tinned fruit.

Mix dry into wet mix until Just mixed.

1/3 fill muffin tin with mix then add sliced fruit and choco buttons (not touching sided) then cover with more mix.

Additional extras. Sprinkle top with cinnamon and sugar mix or add a bit of fruit or choco buttons.

Bake at 200 for about 12 - 15 mins :-)

lx4000, Feb 14, 12:58am
Feijoa loaf/cake
6-8 large feijoas 50g/2oz butter
1 cup boiling water 1 beaten egg
2 Cup flour 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon Baking Powder

Boil feijoas, water and butter for 5 mins. Cool.
Carefully stir in sifted dry ingredients and beaten egg.
Cook for 45-60 mins at 180c
Sultanas (boil with feijoas), walnuts can also be added.
Ice if you wish with lemon icing
Rub soft butter into icing sugar till it looks crumbly. Add lemon juice (zest too if wished) Beat for 5-10 mins with electric beater. Ice. Zest can be added on top.

tarshlove, Feb 14, 1:25am
Wow thanks heaps Hun I love the recipes I got off here for Banana cake and Banana choc chip muffins ill post them shortly

tarshlove, Feb 14, 1:25am
Alison Holst's CHOCOLATE AND BANANA MUFFINS
2 cup self-raising flour
½ cup each of caster sugar and chocolate chips
½ tsp salt
100g butter
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup (2-3) mashed bananas

With a fork, stir together in a large bowl the flour, caster sugar, chocolate chips and salt.
In another bowl/container melt the butter, remove it from the heat, then add the milk, egg and vanilla essence and beat well. Stir in the bananas, then tip all the liquid mixture into the bowl with the dry mixture. Fold everything together carefully until all the flour is dampened, stopping before the mixture is smooth. Put about ¼ cup of mixture into each of 12 non-stick sprayed muffin pans.
Bake at 220°C for 12-15 minutes, until the muffins spring back when pressed in the centre. :-))

tarshlove, Feb 14, 1:27am
Banana Cake

This is one I make all the time, and it is great.. Beat 3 eggs, 1.5 cups sugar, then add 1/2 cup cheap oil and 3/4 cup sour cream & 3 ripe bananas beat all, then add 2 cups white flour 1.5 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda Beat till nice and smooth bake 170 degrees for 1 hr I ice with white and dark choc I make this at work and it is the most requested of all, keeps really well I double and put one in the freezer. Enjoy. Sorry left out some info...I bake mine in either a high sided 22inch tin or if I want to strech the servings in a larger square.

Not sure who posted them originally

tarshlove, Feb 14, 6:12am
Chocolate Caramel Fudge ( my favourite ) 125 g butter, 2 tablespoons golden syrup, 1 can highlander condensed milk, 1 cup brown sugar & 75g cooking chocolate broken into pieces.

Grease a shallow 10cm x 25cm tin. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the golden syrup, condensed milk & brown sugar, cook over low heat stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Bring to boil stirring then reduce the heat to moderate and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the mixture is caramel coloured and forms a soft ball in cold water or reaches 114c on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat and add the choc and beat until smooth. Pour into tin, leave until set then cut into squares.

valentino (488 )

This is a New Fav thanks heaps for posting it!!!

lx4000, Feb 14, 8:58am
tarshlove, your welcome:)

lx4000, Feb 14, 9:06am
Cheese Muffins/Puffs

2 eggs
water
1 C Grated Cheese
1 C veggies (I use corn onion with tomato on top)
pinch Salt
2 C Flour
3 tspn BP
1/4 - 1/2 tspn Cayenne Pepper if wished

Break eggs into 1 measuring C then fill with water, then add another 1 C water. Mix.

Add veggies and cheese then mix.

Stir in salt, flour, cayenne pepper, BP until just mixed.

Spoon into muffin tins.

20 mins approx at 180.

lx4000, Feb 14, 9:12am
Ginger Loaf

50g Butter
3 Tspn Golden Syrup
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Boiling Water

1 Egg

2 tspn Ginger
1/4 tspn BS
1/2 tspn BP
1 C Flour

Place butter, sugar, golden syrup and boiling water in a bowl and stir until melted.

Add egg and whisk briskly (I let it cool down a bit first!)

Add dry and mix.

Place in loaf tin.

30 mins approxat 180

If you love ginger, add some chopped crystallized ginger.
Great with chopped apple and or sultanas also.

lx4000, Feb 14, 9:18am
Basic Muffin Mix

BOWL 1

4 tspn BP
2 C Flour
3/4 C Sugar

BOWL 2

1/2 C Oil
1 C Milk
1 Egg

Add bowl 1 to bowl 2 and Just mix.

Spoon into muffin tins.

Bake 15 mins approx at 200

Add what ever you like to flavor them up:)

elliehen, Feb 14, 10:19am
ABSOLUTELY BEST-EVER SPONGE
Assemble all ingredients
Have eggs at room temperature
Sift 1/2 cup cornflour
2 teaspoons ordinary flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Lightly grease sponge roll pan and put baking paper in the bottom
Separate 3 eggs
Beat whites till soft peaks form
Slowly add 1/2 cup caster sugar, beating all the time
Add yolks and beat till rich mix
Add all sifted dry ingredients and stir to combine
Pour mix into pan and drop sharply onto bench
Bake 180*C for 15 minutes
Drop again on bench after removing from oven
Rest it for 5-10 minutes before removing
Cut in half, fill with fruit and whipped cream and place other half on top

Can be made in two round sponge pans

tarshlove, Feb 15, 2:05am
BASIC MUFFIN RECIPE
INGREDIENTS: 1¾ cups Self Raising Flour 2-3 tablespoons castor sugar 1 egg lightly beaten ¾ cup milk 4 oz butter, melted 1 teaspoon Baking Powder Vanilla Essence METHOD: Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Into a small bowl, melt butter, and add milk. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, and mix. Do Not over beat. ¾ fill muffin tins. Bake 400 deg F, or 220 deg C for 10 - 15 minutes, just above middle of oven.

VARIETIES TO TRY: *Add spices (mixed spice, cinnamon) and dried or fresh fruit chopped. *Essences, or lemon or orange juice, and grated peel. *Sprinkle with brown sugar, and cinnamon mixed together. *Add dried fruits, e.g. sultanas, currants, chopped apricots. *Add chopped fresh fruit e.g. apple, banana, apricot, peach, rhubarb, blueberries, raspberries etc.
Quote theanimal1 (76 ) 10:41 am, Tue 24 Aug #6

This sounds good too

lythande1, Feb 15, 3:21am
OMG.
Every single one is cakes.

pickles7, Feb 15, 3:27am
In the search function , on your left , Write ... pickles7... on the key word member space,
and scroll down to ... anytime ... on the date posted,.
You may find what you are looking for there.
All personally made, or created, or crafted by myself. If not I would have said so.

elliehen, Feb 15, 3:54am
Probably because a cake is a recipe where careful measurements must be made and there is much room for disaster or catastrophe :)With savoury recipes of all kinds you can be more slap dash and still have a success.

I posted a Never-fail sponge, not because I don't have 1001 tasty dinner recipes, but because for years I tried to make a good sponge and didn't succeed until this one (which, incidentally, came from the Foodie Pages of the Christchurch Press).

davidt4, Feb 15, 5:17am

elliehen, Feb 15, 5:36am
Can I substitute more vegetables for the pork?...Genuine question ;)

toeblister, Feb 15, 5:50am
That is so true Elliehen

davidt4, Feb 15, 7:04am
You could try substituting a dense vegetable like kumara for the pork.Let us know how it turns out.

sossie1, Feb 15, 7:18am
SUPER EASY SAVOURY STUFF!!!!!

chilli con carne
i onion and 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, saute until soft
add mince (approx 1/2 kilo or less) and brown it
add 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon salt and sugar, 1 teaspoon dried oregano or i use fresh as have loads.
and 1 can drained kidney beans.
add some sort of tomato mixture, either canned or fresh, don't make mixture too runny, and simmer for a while.

SPICY SINGAPORE STYLE NOODLES
MIX TOGETHER:
3 TB soy sauce,1 1/2 tsp curry powder,1 tsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper. this is the mixture you add to the cooked noodles and veggies and meat (traditionally also has beansprouts added at the last minute)

BEEF MADRAS-this is yummo and you need a food processor.
1 onion and 4 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped and sauteed, add a chopped 1" piece of fresh ginger or 1 tsp powdered, add 1 tin tomatoes, 3 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/2 or more to taste tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp garam masala, heat thru until really hot, put thru the food processor until pureed, and add to browned beef and simmer until beef is tender, or shove it in the crockpot.add a bit of yoghurt before serving if you want.