What's your recipe must have?

Page 2 / 3
elliehen, Feb 15, 10:04am
Thanks.Will do :)

greerg, Feb 19, 2:24am
Not elegant but a foolproof quick family favourite:
CHOCOLATE MICROWAVE PUDDING:
2 tbspns butter melted, ¾ cup sugar, 1 teasp vanilla, ½ cup milk, ½ teasp salt, 2 tbspn cocoa, 1 cup self-raising flour, Sauce: ½ cup brown sugar, 1 tbspn cocoa, 2 tbspns coconut, 1½ cups boiling water.Mix all pudding ingredients, mix and spread into a large microwave ring mould or pyrex bowl with an inverted glass in the middle ring .Combine dry sauce ingredients and sprinkle over pudding.Pour over boiling water.Cook, on high for 7 minutes.

tarshlove, Feb 25, 2:20am
Just added this to my collection made it the other day with Kaitaia Fire In it

ALISON HOLST’S FRESH TOMATO SOUP
1-1.5 Kg ripe red tomatoes
1 slice white or brown bread or a bread crust
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp each of dried basil and dried oregano
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, chopped onion
about 2 tsp wine vinegar
Optional: parsley, bay leaf, thyme
Put the tomatoes into a large microwave casserole, halving large ones. Break the bread into small pieces and add it to the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the salt, sugar, basil and oregano, replacing the dried herbs with fresh ones if you have them. Add the chopped garlic and onions, and small quantities of other herbs you have. Cover the microwave dish, and cook until tender and mushy. Cook at HIGH power for about 10 minutes, then lower the power to 50% if you think the mixture may boil over, and cook for 10 minutes longer - if there is no danger of overflow, leave it on high power. Break up the mixture with a potato masher, leave to stand for about 5 minutes, then shake and press through a coarse sieve (I use the food processor and don’t sieve it – depends how smooth you like it or if it’s to be served as juice). Add the vinegar, tasting after 1 spoonful is mixed in. Cover and chill in the refrigerator, adjust seasoning's if necessary.
If serving as JUICE pour into glasses over ice. Add a dash of hot pepper sauce or Worcestershire sauce to each glass, and put a stirring stick of celery in each glass if you like.
If serving as a COLD SOUP, pour into individual bowls just before serving. Serve like this, or pass bowls containing crisp croutons, diced celery, diced peppers, cubed tomatoes, cubed avocado, chopped cucumbers, etc.
If serving as HOT SOUP, stir in parsley or chives if desired, or stir in as much cream, crème fraiche, or sour cream as you like, making cream of tomato soup. Serve with croutons, if desired.
Note: If cooking this soup on the stove-top, add the bread once the tomatoes are cooked until tender.
This soup freezes well too.

motorbo, Feb 25, 4:31am
hi tarshlove, do you think the bread is to thicken it a bit?

maretaf, Feb 25, 5:14am
I should do one too.. I should be doing the same with my MUM cos we go by eyeing it, not measurements.. but I need to do this for my kids, not just my daughters my son's are great cooks too ONLY cos they love to eat lolz. Thanks for the reminder tarshlove :-)

kiwi_jen, Mar 18, 7:20am
I love these and make them quite often.I put double the choc chips in though lol.Makes them sooooo yummy!

maggie197, Mar 19, 9:55am
I made these (sultana + a little sugar) today and my partner wolfed them down. Won't bother now with the Edmonds recipe, these are much nicer and fluffier :)
Edit to say thanks.

lythande1, Mar 19, 7:27pm
Yes I know. But my recipe book has exactly one cake type recipe in it and everything else is either a snack, sandwich type thing or a meal.
No wonder NZ has a problem with weight and type 2 diabetes. Too much sugar.

tarshlove, Apr 4, 4:06am
Crunchy Top Stout Beef Casserole
Time: 1 hour
Serves: 6
Cost: $5 per serve

Shopping:
Olive oil
2 onions, finely cut
4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1/2 cup flour
Salt & black pepper to season
1 Tbsp sweet paprika
1 kg gravy beef
300g baby mushrooms
2 stalks of celery (including tops), sliced
2 carrots, finely sliced
2 Tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
2 cups stout
400g can tomatoes, chopped
1 beef stock cube dissolved in a cup of hot water

For topping:
4 whole grain bread rolls, sliced
Grated parmesan cheese
Spray olive oil.

Method:

This casserole is best made the day before.

Preheat over to 180C.

Heat oil in a big oven-proof pot, then pan fry onions and garlic until soft.Combine flour, paprika, and seasoning, then toss beef to coat well.

Add beef to pan and cook to braise for about a minute.Add mushrooms, celery, carrots, rosemary and bay leaves and stir for several minutes.Add stout, tomatoes and beef stock.

Bake for 1 hour.

Remove from oven and top with sliced bread rolls, a mist of spray olive oil, grated parmesan cheese and more freshly ground black pepper.

Return back to oven for a further 35-40 minutes until the top is golden and crisp and the beef nice and tender.

tarshlove, Aug 21, 10:54pm
Any other ideas
My recipe book would like something new in it haha
Anyone care to share their fav recipe :o)

lx4000, Aug 22, 1:05am
BREAKFAST MUFFINS

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
2 cups (300g) plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sultanas (any dried fruits)
1 cup desiccated coconut

2 cups grated carrot
1 cup grated apple

1 cup chopped walnuts (or any nuts you like)

3 eggs

1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Icing sugar, to dust

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180degC.

2. Sift sugar, flour, cinnamon and powder into a large bowl.

Add sultanas, carrot, apple, coconut and walnuts.

In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil and vanilla.

3. Add to the dry ingredients and fold until just combined - do not over mix.

4. Spoon into muffin pans and bake for

25 minutes or until golden brown.

I place sunflower seeds on top before baking or you could use chopped nuts.

Serve dusted with icing sugar.

rainrain1, Aug 22, 5:04am
Annabel Whites Dressing
Mix together the following:Juice of 1 lemon, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 tsp minced garlic, 1 heaped tsp Dijon mustard, 2 Tblsp apple syrup or (1Tblsp runny honey) 2Tblsp chopped parsley, salt and pepper, 2 Tblsp garlic aioli or (a spoonful of good mayo) 1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil.
Shake altogetherand check seasoning.Will keep in fridge for a week.

Summer Pasta Salad
2 cups shell pasta
2 chopped tomatoes (add these just before serving)
1 onion
1 small green pepper
1 cucumber
Mix 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vege oil
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
pepper and pinch paprika
Pour over pasta and give it all a stir

Jills Fritters
Put 1 egg in bowl and mix a bit
Grate potato and squeeze out juice with your hands
Add chopped onion or spring onion (optional)
1 Tblsp flour, salt and pepper to season
Mix together and fry in shallow 1/2 butter 1/2 oil both sides till cooked through and crisp.
You would have to vary the amounts to suit.Also you could add herbs and garlic (powder or fresh) or a bit of chilli sauce

jessie981, Aug 22, 5:14am
Easy as
Chocolate Crunch
125gr butter
1c coconut
1TBSP cocoa
1c four
1/2c sugar
1tsp vanilla essence
Melt melt & pour over dry ingredients
Press into sponge roll tin
Bake 20 - 30 mins @ 180
Cut while warm & ice when cold

tarshlove, Feb 13, 11:57pm
So I'm writing myself a new recipe book and was thinking about recipe must haves so share what are yours!

lx4000, Feb 14, 12:46am
DUTCH APPLE CAKE

125g Butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 Cup warm smooth as apple sauce

2 Cups Flour (plain, wholemeal or a mix of)
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon cloves

2 Diced apples
1 Cup Raisins
! Cup Macadamia nuts (or nut of choice)

Mix sugar and butter then add eggs 1 at a time.

Slowly add apple sauce and mix well.

Stir in flour and dry ingredients.

Add diced apple, raisins and nuts.

Line a baking tin and bake at 180 for approx 45 mins.

This is the most moistest cake and soft cake out! It makes a big cake and I always double it and freeze one:)

If you have it, you can replace the Cinnamon with a dutch spice mix called "Speculaas spice" and its just as Devinne!

lx4000, Feb 14, 12:50am
COCONUT LOAF
In a bowl mix together
1.5 cups flour
1.5 tsp bp,
1.5 cups coconut,
1 cup sugar,
1.5 cups milk,
2 tsp vanilla essence.

Bake at 160-180 deg C for an hour or so.

You can add the juice and zest of a couple of lemons with or with out sultanas too.

Devine!

And yip, no eggs and no butter in this one!

tarshlove, Feb 14, 1:25am
Alison Holst's CHOCOLATE AND BANANA MUFFINS
2 cup self-raising flour
½ cup each of caster sugar and chocolate chips
½ tsp salt
100g butter
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup (2-3) mashed bananas

With a fork, stir together in a large bowl the flour, caster sugar, chocolate chips and salt.
In another bowl/container melt the butter, remove it from the heat, then add the milk, egg and vanilla essence and beat well. Stir in the bananas, then tip all the liquid mixture into the bowl with the dry mixture. Fold everything together carefully until all the flour is dampened, stopping before the mixture is smooth. Put about ¼ cup of mixture into each of 12 non-stick sprayed muffin pans.
Bake at 220°C for 12-15 minutes, until the muffins spring back when pressed in the centre. :-))

tarshlove, Feb 14, 1:27am
Banana Cake

This is one I make all the time, and it is great. Beat 3 eggs, 1.5 cups sugar, then add 1/2 cup cheap oil and 3/4 cup sour cream & 3 ripe bananas beat all, then add 2 cups white flour 1.5 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda Beat till nice and smooth bake 170 degrees for 1 hr I ice with white and dark choc I make this at work and it is the most requested of all, keeps really well I double and put one in the freezer. Enjoy. Sorry left out some info.I bake mine in either a high sided 22inch tin or if I want to strech the servings in a larger square.

Not sure who posted them originally

tarshlove, Feb 14, 6:12am
Chocolate Caramel Fudge ( my favourite ) 125 g butter, 2 tablespoons golden syrup, 1 can highlander condensed milk, 1 cup brown sugar & 75g cooking chocolate broken into pieces.

Grease a shallow 10cm x 25cm tin. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the golden syrup, condensed milk & brown sugar, cook over low heat stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Bring to boil stirring then reduce the heat to moderate and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the mixture is caramel coloured and forms a soft ball in cold water or reaches 114c on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat and add the choc and beat until smooth. Pour into tin, leave until set then cut into squares.

valentino (488 )

This is a New Fav thanks heaps for posting it!

pickles7, Feb 15, 3:27am
In the search function , on your left , Write . pickles7. on the key word member space,
and scroll down to . anytime . on the date posted,.
You may find what you are looking for there.
All personally made, or created, or crafted by myself. If not I would have said so.

elliehen, Feb 15, 3:54am
Probably because a cake is a recipe where careful measurements must be made and there is much room for disaster or catastrophe :)With savoury recipes of all kinds you can be more slap dash and still have a success.

I posted a Never-fail sponge, not because I don't have 1001 tasty dinner recipes, but because for years I tried to make a good sponge and didn't succeed until this one (which, incidentally, came from the Foodie Pages of the Christchurch Press).

davidt4, Feb 15, 5:17am

elliehen, Feb 15, 5:36am
Can I substitute more vegetables for the pork!.Genuine question ;)

sossie1, Feb 15, 7:18am
SUPER EASY SAVOURY STUFF!

chilli con carne
i onion and 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, saute until soft
add mince (approx 1/2 kilo or less) and brown it
add 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon salt and sugar, 1 teaspoon dried oregano or i use fresh as have loads.
and 1 can drained kidney beans.
add some sort of tomato mixture, either canned or fresh, don't make mixture too runny, and simmer for a while.

SPICY SINGAPORE STYLE NOODLES
MIX TOGETHER:
3 TB soy sauce,1 1/2 tsp curry powder,1 tsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper. this is the mixture you add to the cooked noodles and veggies and meat (traditionally also has beansprouts added at the last minute)

BEEF MADRAS-this is yummo and you need a food processor.
1 onion and 4 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped and sauteed, add a chopped 1" piece of fresh ginger or 1 tsp powdered, add 1 tin tomatoes, 3 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/2 or more to taste tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp garam masala, heat thru until really hot, put thru the food processor until pureed, and add to browned beef and simmer until beef is tender, or shove it in the crockpot.add a bit of yoghurt before serving if you want.

tarshlove, Feb 25, 2:20am
Just added this to my collection made it the other day with Kaitaia Fire In it

ALISON HOLST’S FRESH TOMATO SOUP
1-1.5 Kg ripe red tomatoes
1 slice white or brown bread or a bread crust
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp each of dried basil and dried oregano
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, chopped onion
about 2 tsp wine vinegar
Optional: parsley, bay leaf, thyme
Put the tomatoes into a large microwave casserole, halving large ones. Break the bread into small pieces and add it to the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the salt, sugar, basil and oregano, replacing the dried herbs with fresh ones if you have them. Add the chopped garlic and onions, and small quantities of other herbs you have. Cover the microwave dish, and cook until tender and mushy. Cook at HIGH power for about 10 minutes, then lower the power to 50% if you think the mixture may boil over, and cook for 10 minutes longer - if there is no danger of overflow, leave it on high power. Break up the mixture with a potato masher, leave to stand for about 5 minutes, then shake and press through a coarse sieve (I use the food processor and don’t sieve it – depends how smooth you like it or if it’s to be served as juice). Add the vinegar, tasting after 1 spoonful is mixed in. Cover and chill in the refrigerator, adjust seasoning's if necessary.
If serving as JUICE pour into glasses over ice. Add a dash of hot pepper sauce or Worcestershire sauce to each glass, and put a stirring stick of celery in each glass if you like.
If serving as a COLD SOUP, pour into individual bowls just before serving. Serve like this, or pass bowls containing crisp croutons, diced celery, diced peppers, cubed tomatoes, cubed avocado, chopped cucumbers, etc.
If serving as HOT SOUP, stir in parsley or chives if desired, or stir in as much cream, crème fraiche, or sour cream as you like, making cream of tomato soup. Serve with croutons, if desired.
Note: If cooking this soup on the stove-top, add the bread once the tomatoes are cooked until tender.
This soup freezes well too.