A Moist Loaf/Cake

Page 1 / 2
colbarch, Feb 13, 9:28pm
I've been browsing but unable to find a really nice moist loaf, fruit etc recipe. Would appreciate if someone could help out.

petal1955, Feb 13, 10:02pm
5 Cup loaf

1 cup All Bran (Baking Bran)
1 cup Self Raising Flour
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup milk
1 cut of fruit (mixed fruit or sultanas)

Mix together and pour into lined loaf tin.Bake 170 degrees C for 45-60 mins.

cookessentials, Feb 13, 10:04pm
My pumpkin loaves should do the trick..the recipe makes two LARGE loaves. Use a medium loaf pan measuring approx: 21.5 x11.3 x6.2cm high.

Pam's Pumpkin Loaves (makes two)
Ingredients:
3 cups of castor sugar
1 cup salad/sunflower oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
(tsp of spices do not need to be level - up to you, but I like spicy.)
500g pumpkin,cooked and mashed
(cut pumpkin into big chunks-leave the skin on and put into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cover with gladwrap-leave a loose corner for steam to escape. Cook for 8-9 minutes-just be careful removing the wrap-its hot!! When it is cool enough to handle, slice the skin off with a sharp paring knife).
Method:
Cream sugar and oil with electric mixer in LARGE bowl, add eggs and pumpkin,mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the water. Grease and flour your loaf tins. When you fill them, they will be close to the top of the tin. Using a cup to get mixture into tins -gets them even. Bake at 175c for 1 & 1/2 hours. Let them stand 10 minutes before turning out. NOTE:These will rise VERY high in the tin, so don't panic. I test mine with a skewer in the middle because they sometimes need a little extra time. They freeze beautifully and they keep moist for ages too.

245sam, Feb 14, 12:02am
colbarch, try this one - I promise you it's a "really nice moist loaf".

DATE LOAF
1 cup each of dates and boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp butter, softened
1 egg
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

Place the dates in a bowl, then pour the boiling water over and sprinkle the baking soda over. Cover the bowl and leave until cold (overnight is ok).
Mix the brown sugar and butter, then add the egg and beat together until thick and spongy. Add the sifted flour, baking powder and salt, alternately with the date mixture. Place in a greased loaf tin.
Bake at 180°C for about 1 hour.
Variation: For a nice mixed fruit & nut loaf add, with the dates, about ½ cup sultanas and a few chopped nuts. :-))

245sam, Feb 14, 12:05am
and if you want a really, really moist and delicious loaf, maybe you'd like to try this one at:-

http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Apple-and-Date-Loaf

darlingmole, Feb 14, 1:01am
Cold Tea Loaf ...

2 C flour
4 t baking powder
1 C brown sugar
1 C boiled tea
1 C dried fruit
1 t ginger
1/2 t cinnamon (I'm not a huge fan)

Place fruit in with the cup of boiled tea, leave for a few hours or overnight.
Next day (or later on) mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased loaf tin and cook for approx 1 hr 10 mins @ 160 deg C.
This not only freezes well but is STILL moist up to 5 days later (and oh so cheap to make!)

lx4000, Feb 14, 1:03am
DUTCH APPLE CAKE

125g Butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 Cup warm smooth as apple sauce

2 Cups Flour (plain, wholemeal or a mix of)
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon cloves

2 Diced apples
1 Cup Raisins
! Cup Macadamia nuts (or nut of choice)

Mix sugar and butter then add eggs 1 at a time.

Slowly add apple sauce and mix well.

Stir in flour and dry ingredients.

Add diced apple, raisins and nuts.

Line a baking tin and bake at 180 for approx 45 mins.

This is the most moistest cake and soft cake out!! It makes a big cake and I always double it and freeze one:)

If you have it, you can replace the Cinnamon with a dutch spice mix called "Speculaas spice" and its just as Devinne!!

colbarch, Feb 15, 9:01pm
Many thanks to you all who took the time to give me your recipes.I'm going to work my way through them.

lx4000, Feb 15, 9:32pm
Your welcome colbarch ! Please find this thread and post us your thoughts on them as you make them! Its great getting feedback on recipes!!

lx4000, Feb 15, 9:42pm
Ginger Loaf

50g Butter
3 Tspn Golden Syrup
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Boiling Water

1 Egg

2 tspn Ginger
1/4 tspn BS
1/2 tspn BP
1 C Flour

Place butter, sugar, golden syrup and boiling water in a bowl and stir until melted.

Add egg and whisk briskly (I let it cool down a bit first!)

Add dry and mix.

Place in loaf tin.

30 mins approx at 180

If you love ginger, add some chopped crystallized ginger.
Great with chopped apple and or sultanas also.

lx4000, Feb 15, 9:43pm
Feijoa Loaf/Cake

6-8 large feijoas
50g/2oz butter
1 cup boiling water
1 beaten egg
2 Cup flour
1 Cup sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Baking Powder

Boil feijoas, water and butter for 5 mins. Cool.
Carefully stir in sifted dry ingredients and beaten egg.
Cook for 45-60 mins at 180c
Sultanas (boil with feijoas), walnuts can also be added.
Ice if you wish with lemon icing
Rub soft butter into icing sugar till it looks crumbly. Add lemon juice (zest too if wished) Beat for 5-10 mins with electric beater. Ice. Zest can be added on top.

macandrosie, Feb 19, 7:11am
My daughter came across this recipe in a magazine - really moist
Kumara & Walnut Loaf
400gr golden kumara, peeled & chopped
1½ cups self raising flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
125gr butter, melted
¼cup milk
½ cup chopped walnuts

Cream Cheese filling:
125gr lite cream cheese @ room temp
¼ cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
Spray & line a loaf tin. First prepare cream cheese filling, by creaming the butter & sugar together till smooth. Then add egg, beating until well combined. Set aside. Cook the kumara till tender, drain & mash until smooth. You’ll need 1 cup mashed cooled kumara. Lightly blend the flour, spice & sugar in a bowl. Whisk together the eggs, butter, & milk. Stir into flour mix along with kumara & walnuts. Spoon half this mixture into prepared loaf tin. Then spread all the cream cheese filling. Finish the top by spreading on remaining kumara mixture. Bake @ 180°C for about 1 hour. Allow to cool before turning out. Cut into thick slices to serve.

rj5, May 27, 2:22am
lx4000- your ginger loaf is the best Ive made so far and Ive tried quite a few recipes- so moist

kinna54, May 27, 2:28am
Ditto to darling moles post, I make that often it's yummy. I am keen to try some of the other recipes posted, always good inspiration on here.

lx4000, May 27, 3:10am
rj5glad you like:)

lythande1, May 27, 7:39am
For this recipe you will need the following:

226grams (the real thing, not margarine), softened
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups self raising flour
1 cup milk
2 lemons including zest and juice

Cream butter, oil and sugar, add eggs, beat until creamy and whitish. Add flour (optional 2 or 3 tbsps coconut also), add milk to make a kind of batter.
Put into a large dish, and bake 160 degrees for about 90 minutes.
Sounds like ages, but it does need it.

keysie, May 27, 8:20pm
Just about to make lx4000 ginger loaf, but wanting to check golden syrup amount. Is it teaspoon or tablespoon please. Anyone made this. Thanks

rainrain1, May 27, 11:08pm
Wonder Loaf

2 cups water
1Tb butter
1+1/2 cups sugar
2 cups fruit
1 tsp mixed spice
Boil all for 10minutes.When cool add 3 cups flour and 1dsp B. Soda.Mod oven.Cover top with brown paper last 15-20 of cooking to prevent burning.makes a good big loaf

lx4000, May 27, 11:19pm
Tablespoon:) Add the bits below as stated!!

mmMmm

Enjoy!! :)

kinna54, May 28, 2:28am
Ditto to darling moles post, I make that often it's yummy. I am keen to try some of the other recipes posted, always good inspiration on here.

keysie, May 28, 3:29am
Thanks, took a guess and used tablespoon, made and had mum and partner, then brother and kids round. Now all gone will have to make more. Time to double recipe I think. It was delicious.

calista, May 28, 5:53am
I have some ginger tea.Do you think I could use that in a loaf instead of ordinary tea?

lythande1, May 28, 7:39am
Lemon cake

226 grams butter (the real thing, not margarine), softened
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups self raising flour
1 cup milk
2 lemons including zest and juice

Cream butter, oil and sugar, add eggs, beat until creamy and whitish. Add flour (optional 2 or 3 tbsps coconut also), add lemon zest and juce, add milk to make a kind of batter.
Put into a large dish, and bake 160 degrees for about 90 minutes.
Sounds like ages, but it does need it.

lx4000, May 28, 11:19pm
Tablespoon:) Add the bits below as stated!

mmMmm

Enjoy! :)

calista, May 29, 5:53am
I have some ginger tea.Do you think I could use that in a loaf instead of ordinary tea!