Morning tea ideas

motorbo, Feb 3, 6:08am
okay im leaving my job yahhhhhhh....and am making a final morning tea, i need to accomodate gluten free and vegetarian i want to do a savory and a sweet at least, ive got some ideas but thought you brilliant ladies and men? lol may have some good ideas for me - would like to be able to make the night before OR wow 2 days before if possible (so less to do on one night) to feed about around 15 -16

uli, Feb 3, 6:19am
Gluten free:

Celery filled with peanut butter or tuna salad
Deviled eggs
Dill pickles and cheddar cheese
roasted Nuts
Cheese sticks
Smoked salmon and cream cheese on cucumber slices
Lettuce Roll-ups –Roll meat, egg salad, tuna or other filling and veggies in lettuce leaves
Raw veggies and spinach dip, or other dip
Garlic Parmesan Flax Seed Crackers
Peanut Butter Protein Balls
Almond cheese sesame crackers

duckmoon, Feb 3, 6:21am
hummus and vege sticks, or merginues for the glutten free
merginues keep in an air tight container for weeks

motorbo, Feb 3, 7:57pm
thanks!anyone else with maybe some baking ideas??

nanasee1, Feb 3, 10:14pm
This is really popular with my GF friends
Lemon Shortbread Gluten free
Ingredients
250g butter, softened but not melted
1 1/2 cups maize cornflour
3/4 cup rice flour
3/4 cup Chelsea Icing Sugar
1 tsp grated lemon rind
Method
Preheat oven to 150°C.
Mix all ingredients in a food processor until smooth and well combined. Roll dough on a maize cornflour dusted surface to a 1cm thickness. Cut into fingers or press out shapes using cookie cutters. Place on a baking tray and prick with a fork. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until pale but crisp (longer slower baking is the trick with shortbread). Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
Makes: 35 - 40 pieces

nanasee1, Feb 3, 10:19pm
Another quick and popular GF recipe - make sure you use GF Icing sugar in the icing.
Quick Chocolate Cake
4 T oil,
1.5C sugar,
2 eggs.
1/2 C cocoa,
2C SR flour, ( or 2c GF flour with 3 teas GF Baking Powder)
1 tsp Bicarb soda,
1 tsp vanilla essence,
1C boiling water.
Put all into abowl and beat well.
Place in greased cake pan and bake 40-45 mins [180/350]
This is moist and rich. Ice with chocolate icing

motorbo, Feb 3, 10:47pm
hi Nannasee, would these be good say made on a tuesday night for thurs morning? if kept in airtight container?

rotorbladz, Feb 3, 10:50pm
There's a really nice lemon cake made with almonds instead of flour and you can serve it with natural yog or cream.

Will have to fish it out for you if you want it.

motorbo, Feb 3, 10:58pm
thanks rotorbladz that would be welcome!!

nanasee1, Feb 3, 11:54pm
The lemon shortbread keeps really well for a week and can be frozen too. The cake is probably better made the night before, but it would be okay if you made it two nights ahead. I find GF cakes don't keep as well. You could make the cake well ahead, freeze it & then thaw & ice it the night before.

motorbo, Feb 4, 9:02am
so im gonna go with the shortbread cos i can make that tues night, the almond cake sounds delish but might be costly, im thinking that choccy cake nanasee1!! then i need something savory, someone gave me a good fritter recipe but am thinking too much work, so i might modfiy my retro toasties, basically cheese on toast but its vogels toasted with a cheese/egg mix but ya add like chives and onions, peppers etcthen i could do just a few with gluten free bread - problem solved toasties are nicer with bacon but we cant do that!! and they are delish hot or cold!!

fisher, Feb 4, 10:08am
Bacon and Egg Yorkies
Precook some bacon rashes and chop into piecesIn a bowl, make an egg mix with salt, pepper, grated cheese and diced onion and mix well.
Add the bacon piecesNow make some Yorkshire puddings in muffin tins.
Once the yorkies are cooked and risen, poor some of the mix inside and place back in oven till the egg mix cooks and sets

fisher, Feb 4, 10:10am
Bread Cases
Cut the crusts off the bread and butter one side. Place in muffin tin and cook in a 180c oven for about 10 mins to go crusty
Fillings:
(a)smoked fish in white parsley sauce
(b)pre fried bacon pieces, a little diced onion, and pour in beaten egg with salt and pepper.Into oven till egg sets
(c)spaghetti and bacon pieces
(d)mashed potatoes with~pan-fried onion baconcapsicum corn mushroom.
(e)mashed kumara with pineapple
(f)savoury mince with peas and carrots

kiwibubbles, Feb 4, 7:24pm
what about macarons? they're gluten free (macarons also known as macaroons lol)

elliehen, Feb 4, 10:24pm
fisher, do you have a favourite recipe for Yorkshire Puddings and can you give oven temps and times for these Yorkies please?

motorbo, Feb 4, 11:45pm
many at our office have done them before so am looking for different ideas

great ideas Fisher, but for my morning tea i need gluten free vege recipes, but thanks for sharing for others the yorkies sound yum!!!

fastlanenz, Feb 4, 11:49pm
what about Toadfish's rocky weetbix mallow slice, instead of the chocolate cake?It's always popular, and looks so tempting.

motorbo, Feb 5, 12:34am
hi fastlane, that wouldnt be gluten free

lx4000, Feb 5, 2:55am
will this one work??

Bliss Balls

1 C chopped Dates
1 C Raisins
70g Walnuts
1 Tspn Cocoa
1 Tspn Butter
1 tspn Milk
1 tspn Van Ess
Coconut to roll in

Place all into food processor and whiz till smooth.
Roll into balls.
Roll in coconut and place in fridge.

Sounds soo easy!!

motorbo, Mar 28, 11:16am
OMG i just made the peanut butter cookies i found in another thread, they are to die for!! the lemon shortbread without the lemon lol is in the oven now