Making a spag bol sauce from scratch

angel404, Jan 20, 7:38am
and then freezing it. im wanting a yum recipe coz my tomatoes are nearly ripe so will have a ton of them ready all at the same time. anyone have any tried and true recipies?

245sam, Jan 20, 7:51am
angel404, try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using spaghetti bolognaise or spag bol as the Keywords and Anytime as the Date posted option - from time to time there has been a variety of recipes so from that search you should find a good selection of recipes to choose from.

Hope that helps.:-))

245sam, Jan 20, 7:59am
Another option for you angel404 - the following recipe is from Trademe Cooks.....

"My Spaghetti Bolognese is
Cooking oil spray, 2 onions finely chopped, 2 cloves garlic finely chopped, 2 carrots finely chopped, 2 celery sticks finely chopped, 400 g lean beef mince, 1 kg tomatoes chopped or 3 cans chopped tomatoes, 1/2 c red wine, 350g spaghetti and 1/4 c finely chopped fresh parsley. Lightly spray large saucepan, over medium heat add onion, garlic, carrot & celery, stir for 5 minutes adding a tbsp of water to stop sticking if required. Increase heat to high, add mince cook for another 5 minutes. Add tomato, wine, a cup of water and bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer uncovered for about an hour until the sauce has thickened. Cook the spagjetti as per instructions on packet then drain. Stir in parsley through the sauce, season then serve over pasta. posted by valentino":-))

jag5, Jan 20, 8:37am
I have just done some by roasting tomato halves, chopped up red onion (sweetness), loads of garlic, salt and pepper, a sprinkle of brown sugar and my home dried basil.Slosh over some olive oil and balsamic vinegar and roast for about 40 minutes on a moderate heat.Puree or blend when cool.Very tasty indeed.

angel404, Jan 21, 8:27pm
hey thanks. do u skin the tomatoes or leave skin on?

lythande1, Jan 21, 10:48pm
I'd just make puree. That way you can use it for whatever tomato based recipes you like later, instead of having already made up something.

karenz, Jan 21, 11:53pm
It is best to skin the tomatoes, just pour boiling water over them and the skins come off easily.I would do as #3 but personallly think the longer the cooking time the better the flavour, after the meat is browned I turn the heat right down and cook for at least 3 hours, or even longer.I also cook the vegetables in lots of olive oil, put them aside then brown the mince over a high heat until it is really well cooked, then pour the wine over, then the tomatoes and then the puree or paste mixed with water. Also an anchovy added at the end of the meat cooking time adds a good flavour, I also add oregano and basil (fresh if possible) when the tomatoes are put in.

karenz, Jan 21, 11:57pm
Whoops the vegetables go back in as well of course!There is an interesting variation I have done using pork mince, cooked chicken livers, finely chopped bacon, onion, garlic, carrots, celery and mushroom, with chicken stock, white wine and cream.This also has nutmeg and cinnamon instead of oregano and basil.I found this in an old Italian cookbook and it is really delicious.

karenz, Jan 21, 11:59pm
The one above has tomato paste as well.

jag5, Jan 22, 1:09am
I left skin on, but after roasting, just use a pair of tongs, and they slip right off

angel404, Jan 22, 7:34am
oo yeah. i just wanna freeze the tomato mixture. so will make it without the meat and then freeze it so i can use it in watever i need it for at the time. roasting sounds good, might roast some garlic with the tomates maybe

kabbo, Jan 22, 7:43am
yummy that sounds really nice. what sort of quantities chicken stock wine and cream, and nutmeg/cinnamon?

stormbaby, Jan 22, 7:48am
I make around 50 litres of tomato puree at the end of ever Summer to get me through Winter. I use it for making spaghetti sauce, pizza base sauce, tomato soup. All it is is a bit pot of washed, chopped tomatoes with layers of onions through it, brought to the boil, boiled for around 5-10 minutes, cooled, then put through a mouli. A mouli takes out most of the skin and the seeds, giving a rich red sauce, as opposed to a blender or processer, that cracks the seeds and chops the skins, giving a more orange, and bitter taste.

To make a spaghetti (bolognaise) type sauces, I fry in olive oil mince (between 500gr and 2kg,depending on how much I want to make), garlic, soy sauce, worcester sauce, black pepper and salt. Break up the mince as it fries, using a potato masher. When the mince is browned, add tomato puree. I use around 1 litre to 500gr mince, plus a couple of tablespoons of tomato puree (you can use the Leggo one, or similar), pop in some herbs if you wish, like parsley, a bit of basil or chives, bring to the boil, pop lid on, reduce the heat and simmer for an hour or more. At the end of this, thicken with a little cornflour mixed with water and adjust the seasoning if you need to. This can be a spaghetti sauce, a lasagne sauce, or a taco sauce quite easily.I bulk cook and freeze for those busy weeks.

karenz, Feb 22, 10:58am
To serve 4 you will need 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbs butter, 1 small onion, 1 carrot and 1 celery stick all finely chopped, 50gm mushrooms diced, 225gms mince (you can use beef or pork), 75gms ham or bacon diced, 2 chicken livers chopped, 2 tbsp tomato puree, 125ml white wine (optional but nice), 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg, 300ml chicken stock, 135ml cream, 2tbsp fresh parsley, parmesal to serve. (I was wrong about the cinnamon it is not in this recipe and it uses beef though I have used a pork and beef mix)
1. Cook the onion, carrot and celery and mushrooms in the butter and olive oil, add the beef and bacon and cook until meat is evenly browned.
2. stir in the chicken livers and tomato puree and cook for 2-3 mins.Pour in the wine and season with salt and peoper and the nutmeg.Add the stock.Bring to the boil and cover, simmer gently over low heat for 1 hour.Stir in the cream and simmer, uncovered, until reduced.
3.Bring large saucepan of water to boil, add pasta and return to boil and cook until tender, drain and transfer to serving dish.
4. Spoon the meat sauce over the pasta, garnish with the parsley and serve with the parmesan cheese.