Dunking lettuce in vinegar and sugar...

Page 3 / 3
nfh1, Jan 13, 1:12am
And these were the good old days!!

brish, Jan 13, 1:15am
My husband used to have the bread in hot milk, and called it milk pobbies (no idea how it's spelt).He's from near Manchester.
Yes, they were the good old days, hardly anyone overweight :-)

nfh1, Jan 13, 1:27am
I also call Weetabix with hot milk pobbies (I don't know how to spell it either!).I am from about 30 miles from Manchester.

I think no one was overweight because all these things sound awful - who would want seconds of lettuce and sugar or bread and sugar!!

elliehen, Jan 13, 1:29am
I seem to remember that - but didn't she use French bread or croissants!

elliehen, Jan 13, 1:34am
Guess it depended on how hungry you were.

And there have always been overweight people - just look at some of the paintings of the portly rich gentlemen and matrons, when to be podgy showed off to everyone that you had plenty of money.

Only the poor were skinny.

jbsouthland, Jan 13, 1:42am
was just telling my partner few days ago how we didthe sugar,vinegar/lettuce leaf thing in the 60/70s.also the cucumber in vinegar and left soaking .He had never heard of it.coming from Europe.He also dislikes our condensed milk salad dressing.

elliehen, Jan 13, 1:49am
'Seconds' is actually a relatively modern concept.The mother/cook in the family cooked exactly enough for the all the family portions and dished them out herself.Maybe on Sunday after church, the mid-day meal would have a roast which was carved at the table, and vegetables in platters for self-help.

Child psychologists say that putting food out in platters for children to help themselves actually helps poor eaters, giving them some measure of control.

jubellsrose, Jan 13, 2:32am
my FIL who was Irish/Welsh ate cold porridge with salt.yuk

elliehen, Jan 13, 10:15am
Bumping - one year on - not from boredom, but so that interested people can follow up this link posted by nfh1 on Food in Iran:)

seniorbones, Jan 13, 10:19am
thank elliehen it was interesting, I know a lot of people who put sugar on their tomatoes and whenever I am making a mince meat dish like bolognaise (sp) etc it says to add sugar, intensifies the sugar flavour.

kuaka, Jan 13, 11:05am
My gran often used to serve this alongside the roast beef and Yorkshire puds.

enigma, Jan 13, 11:10am
My grandma pickled large lettuce leaves in vinegar with garlic and dill, it was delicious, but we don't have the recipe anymore. Anyone knows what I am talking about!

miri_s, Jan 13, 4:26pm
Carrot or celery sticks dunked in vinegar and mustard.

chchgurl, Jan 13, 7:37pm
My Grandad does that for breakfast minus the sultanas sometimes. Or frys eggs in about 5 cms of fat LOL

jag5, Jan 13, 8:00pm
x1
My late ex husband was a Mancunian.and I recall talking about lettuce and sugar and he had never heard of it and thought it was revolting!He was a little tyke through the war, and he didn't know about bread and milk either LOL different areas perhaps

whitehead., Jan 13, 10:55pm
used to too and im from kelso

buzzy110, Jan 14, 8:38am
Back in the day when my father grew lettuces they looked beautiful but had a very bitter aftertaste that made them taste awful. I don't know if it was his gardening skills, or because that is what lettuce tasted like then. Olive oil was not common. Neither was fancy vinegar, I don't think. Brown malt vinegar was all that was either available or my family could afford or knew about (don't know which). He used to kill that bitter aftertaste with a lot of the malt vinegar. Wasn't too bad once you got used to the taste, but it was not something you lusted after either.

elliehen, Jan 14, 9:00am
Lettuces will still taste bitter nowadays if they take too long to grow.The sweetest lettuces grow fast, well-watered, in early summer - before it gets too hot and dry.

mokaumoi, Jan 14, 9:26am
Tamarillos sliced on bread with salt and pepper.

lost-in-oz, Jan 14, 10:11am
cucumbers, tomatoes and onions in vinegar and sugar.