Dunking lettuce in vinegar and sugar...

Page 2 / 3
elliehen, Jan 13, 1:29am
I seem to remember that - but didn't she use French bread or croissants?

margyr, Jan 13, 1:32am
no just plain old bread, at the time I thought it was yuck, cannot stand soggy bread, but she said it was a marvellous comfort food.

elliehen, Jan 13, 1:34am
Guess it depended on how hungry you were...

And there have always been overweight people - just look at some of the paintings of the portly rich gentlemen and matrons, when to be podgy showed off to everyone that you had plenty of money.

Only the poor were skinny.

nfh1, Jan 13, 1:38am
Seconds if you are hungry are fine.Now we just have seconds because they taste good!

What a way to display wealth to be fat - perhaps they were the good old days!

jbsouthland, Jan 13, 1:42am
was just telling my partner few days ago how we didthe sugar,vinegar/lettuce leaf thing in the 60/70s...also the cucumber in vinegar and left soaking ....He had never heard of it...coming from Europe.He also dislikes our condensed milk salad dressing.

nfh1, Jan 13, 1:43am
The condensed milk salad dressing sounds really horrible to me - but it would not do for us all to like the same things.

elliehen, Jan 13, 1:49am
'Seconds' is actually a relatively modern concept.The mother/cook in the family cooked exactly enough for the all the family portions and dished them out herself.Maybe on Sunday after church, the mid-day meal would have a roast which was carved at the table, and vegetables in platters for self-help.

Child psychologists say that putting food out in platters for children to help themselves actually helps poor eaters, giving them some measure of control.

korbo, Jan 13, 2:30am
nfh1. my dad was from Napier. 6yrs old when 1931 earthquake happened.does have French/Norwedge heritage

jubellsrose, Jan 13, 2:32am
my FIL who was Irish/Welsh ate cold porridge with salt.yuk

nfh1, Jan 13, 3:35am
That is so true - my Mum always put the meals out and that was it - we never had left overs, probably because I had to clear my plate because of starving children in Africa!.

I can see the helping yourself gives you some sort of control to select if fussy, but for not very fussy like me it needs vast amounts of control!

nfh1, Jan 13, 3:38am
I was wondering if he was a Lancastrian, with someone saying the lettuce and sugar was an English thing.

Being in Napier in 1931 must have been a very scary time.

jag5, Jan 13, 8:00pm
My late ex husband was a Mancunian....and I recall talking about lettuce and sugar and he had never heard of it and thought it was revolting!!!He was a little tyke through the war, and he didn't know about bread and milk either LOL different areas perhaps

nfh1, Jan 13, 8:41pm
I found this which is similar I suppose -

Lettuce Dipped in Honey and Vinegar Dressing

This is prepared on the thirteenth day of Now Ruz, the Iranian New Year.
Ingredients

* 1 head of lettuce
* 1 cup honey
* ½ cup vinegar, or to taste

Procedure

1. Remove brown leaves from head of lettuce.
2. Tear off crisp, green leaves and arrange on a large plate.
3. In a bowl, combine the honey and vinegar; stir well.
4. Pour dressing onto a small plate or bowl and place in the center of larger plate holding lettuce.
5. To eat, dip lettuce leaves into dressing.

Read more: Food in Iran - Iranian Food, Iranian Cuisine - popular, dishes, recipe, diet, history, common, meals, staple, rice, people, favorite, make, customs, fruits, country, bread, vegetables, bread, drink, typical http://www.foodbycountry.com/Germany-to-Japan/Iran.html#ixzz1AwxjD7U8

korbo, Jan 12, 8:50am
my late dad often used to roll up the large leaves from lettuce, then have a saucer with some sugar and vinegar, dip the lettuce in and then eat it.have to admit, just have to do it sometimes too.
Anyone else heard of this.!

susieq9, Jan 12, 8:54am
Yes. I remember sprinkling sugar over my lettuce, wrapping it up and eating it. Not with vinegar though. My mum used to do this. It was really yummy. Don't do it now though, too much sugar. Didn't think of those sorts of things when we were kids.

brish, Jan 12, 8:56am
We did it without the vinegar too, well at least my mother did.I would think it was because there wasn't much else available for little treats at that time though.Then there was sugar sprinkled on tomatoes.

olwen, Jan 12, 9:02am
It's a Lancashire thing

brish, Jan 12, 9:10am
A Lancashire thing!My mother was Scottish, and my husband is from Lancashire.He doesn't remember it, but that doesn't really prove anything:)

lindylambchops1, Jan 12, 9:23am
How bizarre!I have never heard of that before.Very interesting!I was born in the Midlands.Can't remember anyone eating lettuce like that there.

chrisynz, Jan 12, 9:25am
mum used to break up bread, put it into a bowl sprinkle over heaps of sugar and pour hotmilk over it.then eat it

korbo, Jan 12, 5:48pm
amazing replies.
yes i remember the bread and sugar for breakfast.
on the subject of sandys, my younger brother throughout his highschool days.lol.had.100's and 1000's with honey everyday.
wonder if he ever swapped for meat or something else.

nfh1, Jan 12, 8:15pm
Where was your Dad from korbo!

elliehen, Jan 12, 11:43pm
Bread cubes with hot milk and sugar, and sliced buttered bread sprinkled with sugar were New Zealand Depression era edibles.Sometimes children were given the option of butter OR jam on their bread, but not both together.

There's some good reading to be had about those times.one book comes to mind - 'The Sugar Bag Years' by Tony Simpson. Thrifty people made everything out of hessian sugar bags, from oven cloths to washing aprons and pegbags.

jag5, Jan 12, 11:57pm
Yep.lettuce leaves rolled up with sugar inside.sugar on tomatoes.very yummy, and even now, if frying a tomatoe, I will sprinkle a little sugar with the salt and pepper.makes a difference.

Milk sops.often had this for breakfast.stale bread, sugar and sultanas boiled up with milk.delicious LOl

patti7, Jan 13, 12:22am
Yes, 'bread and milk' was common during the war years (30s-40s) with a sprinkling of sugar if the coupon rations ran to it. Also bread and gravy was often a tea time meal probably more especially for children.