Eggplant

datoofairy, Jan 12, 1:59am
I have just bought my first ever eggplant. I've never even tried one before so I'm not completely sure what to do with it.The vege man said to just slice it and fry in olive oil, but I need some more advise please.
How thick should I make the slices?How long do I cook it for?How will I know its cooked?Do I peel it first?Do we eat the skin?I havent cut into yet, are there seeds inside I cut out first?

prawn_whiskas, Jan 12, 2:18am
I absolutely love this recipe

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/06/aubergine-cheesecake-vegetarian-recipe-ottolenghi

I don't serve/eat it cold however, just warmed through with a salad is lovely.

You can also use them instead of pasta in a 'lasagna'

You can grill them and serve them stacked with grilled chicken thighs (boneless) oven dried tomatoes, basil and some fresh mozzarella.

You can make the slices as thick or thin as your recpie or need requires.You don't generally peal them but you can peal pretty lines down them so when you cut them into rings they look cute.

There are tiny seeds in there that you eat so no removing anything.and No need to salt todays eggplant at all, that was egg plants of 20-30 years ago that needed that treatment.

It cooks similar to Zucchini or marrow .. so you will see when its cooked it gets all limp and squishy.

I prefer mine oven roasted... sliced 1.5cm thick and sprayed with Garlic infused olive oil, salt and pepper both sides. 45 mins at 180 until they are brown and delicious.

cookessentials, Jan 12, 2:28am
We grill ours on the bbq. Slice into thick slices, sprinkle each side with salt and pop into a colander to drain for about 15 minutes - this helps the eggplant not to soak up too much oil ad also, if it is a slightly bitter one, the bitterness will be removed. Rinse well and then pat dry with paper towel. Brush each side with olive oil and then grill on the bbq till tender. I also do Imam Bayeldi which is Turksih stuffed egg plant. You can use it in the greek dish - Moussaka or you can make baba ganoush.

pickles7, Jan 12, 4:10am
We like it sliced, floured, egged then crumbed. Fry in oil until golden. Yummmmmmmy. I don't salt the new varieties you buy these days.

datoofairy, Jan 12, 6:25am
Thanks very much everyone.I ended up brushing the slices with olive oil, and a light sprinkle of salt, and grilled them in the oven.
I have to say I was a bit disappointed.It didnt really have much taste at all, maybe a very faint taste of marrow.
For such a gorgeous looking vege, it should have better taste..lol

pickles7, Jan 12, 6:30am
yes, they do need a dressing.

elliehen, Jan 12, 6:36am
I've just made an enormous pot of Ratatouille, with a whole small eggplant in it and no fiddling about with salting and draining etc - just sliced and cubed.

With all the fresh summer vegetables around, it's the ideal time for it.Start with sliced onions in a little olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, red and green capsicums, zucchini, eggplant - even a little celery if you like.I add a handful of fresh basil too.Give it a gentle, slow cooking and all the flavours mingle perfectly.

nauru, Jan 12, 10:29am
It is very good sliced & grilled with courgette & capsicum and used as a topping for pizza.

malcovy, Jan 13, 12:41am
I prefer to lightly salt the sliced eggplant and oil it and then cook it in the frypan till lightly charred ie lightly blackened.I prefer to eat eggplant when well cooked and it's very soft to touch in pan ie melt in the mouth feeling.

herself, Jan 13, 3:11am
I loveonions, courgettes, tomatoes, capsicums, eggplant, garlic and cumin seeds and a pinch of ground cumin char grilled on the bbq or done in a frying pan with a little oil.Delicious.
If I want to change the flavours I just add or take out different herbs or spices.Tuscon seasoning is very good and I also love to add mushrooms to the veg. as well.

samboy, Jan 13, 8:35pm
our favourite here is to slice the eggplant, then put a layer of eggplant in a greased ovenproof dish (not metal), then a layer of mozzarella cheese, and do this over and over till eggplant is all used up.Then pour a jar of ready made tomato pasta sauce over it and bake for about 20 minutes at around 180.Its really delicious.

datoofairy, Jan 12, 1:59am
I have just bought my first ever eggplant. I've never even tried one before so I'm not completely sure what to do with it.The vege man said to just slice it and fry in olive oil, but I need some more advise please.
How thick should I make the slices!How long do I cook it for!How will I know its cooked!Do I peel it first!Do we eat the skin!I havent cut into yet, are there seeds inside I cut out first!

prawn_whiskas, Jan 12, 2:18am
I absolutely love this recipe

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/06/aubergine-cheesecake-vegetarian-recipe-ottolenghi

I don't serve/eat it cold however, just warmed through with a salad is lovely.

You can also use them instead of pasta in a 'lasagna'

You can grill them and serve them stacked with grilled chicken thighs (boneless) oven dried tomatoes, basil and some fresh mozzarella.

You can make the slices as thick or thin as your recpie or need requires.You don't generally peal them but you can peal pretty lines down them so when you cut them into rings they look cute.

There are tiny seeds in there that you eat so no removing anything.and No need to salt todays eggplant at all, that was egg plants of 20-30 years ago that needed that treatment.

It cooks similar to Zucchini or marrow . so you will see when its cooked it gets all limp and squishy.

I prefer mine oven roasted. sliced 1.5cm thick and sprayed with Garlic infused olive oil, salt and pepper both sides. 45 mins at 180 until they are brown and delicious.

pickles7, Jan 12, 4:10am
We like it sliced, floured, egged then crumbed. Fry in oil until golden. Yummmmmmmy. I don't salt the new varieties you buy these days.

datoofairy, Jan 12, 6:25am
Thanks very much everyone.I ended up brushing the slices with olive oil, and a light sprinkle of salt, and grilled them in the oven.
I have to say I was a bit disappointed.It didnt really have much taste at all, maybe a very faint taste of marrow.
For such a gorgeous looking vege, it should have better taste.lol

elliehen, Jan 12, 6:36am
I've just made an enormous pot of Ratatouille, with a whole small eggplant in it and no fiddling about with salting and draining etc - just sliced and cubed.

With all the fresh summer vegetables around, it's the ideal time for it.Start with sliced onions in a little olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, red and green capsicums, zucchini, eggplant - even a little celery if you like.I add a handful of fresh basil too.Give it a gentle, slow cooking and all the flavours mingle perfectly.

malcovy, Jan 13, 12:41am
I prefer to lightly salt the sliced eggplant and oil it and then cook it in the frypan till lightly charred ie lightly blackened.I prefer to eat eggplant when well cooked and it's very soft to touch in pan ie melt in the mouth feeling.

bev00, Jan 14, 10:51am
eggplant ideas

pickles7, Jan 14, 5:31pm
Got anything to add yourself.!.bev00.

sarahb5, Jan 14, 7:10pm
I love roast aubergine - I have a great recipe for Roast Summer vegetable salad that was on the Weight Watchers website and is great either hot or cold.

2 small red onion, cut into thick wedges
170 g kumara, peeled, cut into 1cm slices
1 medium red capsicum, cut into thick strips
1 medium yellow capsicum, cut into thick strips
4 baby or 1 medium fresh eggplant, quartered
2 Tbsp fresh thyme, (4 sprigs)
1 Tbsp olive oil
240 g cherry tomato(s)
60 g baby spinach leaves
8 baby bocconcini, torn (or feta)
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Place onion, kumara, capsicum, eggplant and thyme in a large bowl. Add oil and toss well to combine. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer vegetables to two large baking paper-lined baking trays. Bake vegetables for 20 mins.

Add the cherry tomatoes to trays, then bake for 10–15 mins or until the vegetables are tender and golden.

Combine vegetables, spinach and bocconcini in a large bowl. Drizzle with balsamic and serve.

Aubergine is also a staple ingredient in moussaka which I'm having for dinner tonight - the rest of the family are having lasagne which on WW is about 9 million points so I have made my own separate moussaka.Love the slices also gridled on the BBQ - it is a fairly bland taste but also good at absorbing other flavours so really good extra virgin olive oil, garlic, thyme, oregano, etc. make all the difference.

elliehen, Jan 15, 12:45am
Thanks for this useful bump bev00.

I have recently bought a cookbook called 'The Eggplant Cookbook' and am looking forward to some more adventurous recipes.

samboy, Jan 15, 4:27am
my new creation with this is this:peel eggplant, cook in butter or oil until soft, chill.Then make a pikelet type mix, e.g. flour, milk, beaten egg, baking powder, add salt and some herbs of your choice, when the eggplant is cool drain thoroughly and add to pikelet mix.Make patties, yum, nice with a dollop of sour cream on top.

kate777, Jan 15, 6:53am
Sliced into 1cm thick slices, flour, egg, crumb. Pan fry until golden. Top with passata or fresh Italian tomato sauce, mozzarella, grill until bubbly.