How do i make b&e pie rise?

kerrylee1, Jan 11, 11:12pm
can make then fine but they never really rise, whats the trick? I want one like they have in the cafes. thanks.

lilyfield, Jan 11, 11:22pm
they use a very deep tin in the restaurants, and fill them to the top

pickles7, Jan 11, 11:27pm
what isn't rising, egg, or pastry??

buzzy110, Jan 11, 11:29pm
Good question.

cookessentials, Jan 11, 11:35pm
Use puff pastry.

pickles7, Jan 12, 1:42am
If the problem is the pastry.
I expect you did use bought, puff pastry.
It takes a while to make puff pastry yourself, but it is very rewarding to do so.
If the problem is with the egg, add a little milk to the eggs, and mix a little.

prawn_whiskas, Jan 12, 1:43am
They aren't meant to, they are not a cake!?

mwood, Jan 12, 1:46am
to lighten the filling and get it rise - lightly beat some eggs and mix them into filling use a deep dish, puff pastry and take the expected rise into consideration - perhaps use a pie funnel.

cookessentials, Jan 12, 1:59am
A good bacon and egg pie does indeed puff up prawny. The egg, mixed with a little milk will be light an the flakey pastry, light, crisp and golden.

prawn_whiskas, Jan 12, 2:22am
Ah thats where we differ then I guess. I never scramble my eggs! I like them whole and my strips of bacon wander through my pie like pretty piggy ribbons.

cookessentials, Jan 12, 2:25am
Well, there you go. I am not a fan of it made that way,so mine rises beautifully, all puffy and golden. Which reminds me, I have not made one in AGES

ellebaby, Jan 12, 3:30am
I use milk and mine end up twice as big as when i put them in. mix it in with the egg.

pickles7, Jan 12, 3:42am
The trick is, not to scramble the eggs, just mix a little leaving a few eggs whole. No onion, no veges, just salt and pepper. Enjoy

pickles7, Jan 12, 9:27am
bumping for...kerrylee1....

trickytash, Jan 12, 9:40am
the cafe's put heaps of eggs in... the more filling you put in the higher the pie???

I make roasting dish ones and I use a whole tray of eggs... nice big fluffy pie! :)

dezzie, Jan 12, 5:42pm
MY B&E pies are not kosher most likely, I don't scrable the eggs, they have their yolks popped and swished around a wee bit once they are in the pastry, (nothing worse than facing a mouthful of hard cooked egg yolk) but I have alsorts in it, eggs bacon, cheese peas corn tomato and onion, but the important part is to fill the tin, if you are making big "flat" ones, maybe the solution is to use something smaller to make it in...

spot20, Jan 12, 7:55pm
Love the idea of pretty wandering piggy ribbons in my bacon and egg pie!

davidt4, Jan 12, 7:57pm
I don't think a bacon and egg pie can ever be Kosher dezzie.

dezzie, Jan 12, 9:23pm
lol I agree, but I was trying to think of a good word early in the morning, maybe "legit" fits better.

t.gypsy, Jan 26, 4:53pm
if anyone wants a good straight forward pastry recipe.. Here's the one i do for most savoury. It does rise to a point..

150g cold hard butter
pinch of salt
1 and 1/2 cups high grade flour
Cold water to mix

Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl, Cube butter into flour and rub together until it resembles a fine crumb then make a well in the bowl and add cold water just enough to bind together and knead together then wrap in greaseproof paper and leave to sit in fridge for 30mins before working with.

This is the one i have used for bacon and egg pie,steak and cheese,smoked fish and more.