Dutch Oven question

jerrytravis, Jan 10, 3:19am
i wish to resurrect me Dutch Oven. its made from cast iron but the inside is rusty. what is the best method to clean it to make it rust free? any suggestions appreciated :-0

cookessentials, Jan 10, 3:50am
Wash the cookware with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush. (It is okay to use soap this time because you are preparing to re-season the cookware).

Rinse and dry completely.

Apply a thin, even coating of MELTED solid vegetable shortening (or cooking oil of your choice) to the cookware (inside and out).

Place aluminum foil on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any dripping.

Set oven temperature to 175-200C

Place cookware upside down on the top rack of the oven.

Bake the cookware for at least one hour. After the hour, turn the oven off and let the cookware cool in the oven.

Store the cookware uncovered, in a dry place when cooled.

jerrytravis, Jan 10, 4:32am
thanks #2. i'm half way there and the Dutchie is starting to look the business again. great!

Soul food cookin', here i come! LOL

elliehen, Jan 10, 4:47am
If you're interested in more than just the basics, here's an interesting Australian-published book to watch out for:
# 340840147
There are instructions on seasoning a new Dutch Oven, on Dutch Oven cooking techniques (baking, boiling, frying, griddle, roasting and stewing). Recipes for Dutch-oven Lasagne p98, Meat Loaf p100, Fish in foil p10, Ham & Cheese Potato Stew p106, Trail Bread p116, Damper Bread p117, Chocolate Muffins p123, Banana Bread p122, Breakfast Casserole p75.... and more...

pickles7, Jan 11, 8:11am
you tube has heaps. They have clubs in the States, hard case weekend, cook outs.

ralta, Jan 11, 8:13am
oh you mean a real dutch oven*exits thread*

elliehen, Jan 11, 8:58am
What's an 'un'real Dutch oven?

gotland3, Jan 11, 9:13am
Always called them camp ovens. Made some great venison and pork stews, soda bread too. Those were the mustering days in the kaikoura's way back in the mid 1950's. The art was getting the lid off,with not too much ash or embers falling in.

pandora10, Jan 11, 9:16am
Bed, blanket, hold head under, methane gas....hours of entertainment.

elliehen, Jan 23, 12:12pm
That sounds like school camp!