Sugar and Dairy free baking recipes

Page 1 / 2
carla8, Jan 9, 5:38am
Hi all - my sister has found out she has intolerances to sugar (including honey) and dairy and is finding it hard to find baking type recipes to make.Does anyone here have any recipes for baking that she would be able to use? Thanks heaps!

davidt4, Jan 9, 6:47am
Is she able to have an artificial sweetener like Xylitol or Splenda?

lilyfield, Jan 9, 6:56am
there is the three ingredient fruitcake- make it with tea.

jules329, Jan 9, 8:53am
my son is wheat sugar and dairy free, not hard at all .Just play ,dairy i went to rice milk (fine in cooking) soy has sugar in it,dairy free marg. i did use palm sugar (that coconut, ) Health shop great place to start.honey was great in things, loafs cakes muffin . (use less) Can she have fruit?

carla8, Jan 10, 1:39am
Thanks everyone - she is allowed artificial sweetener as far as I know - does anyone know how you substitute that for sugar in recipes?She is allowed fruit - just not sugar, honey or maple syrup and no sulphur dioxide which is in a lot of dried fruit- but I know there are organic dried fruits out there that don't have it in them.

davidt4, Jan 10, 1:47am
Greek Walnut and Orange Cake

1 c olive oil
1 ¼ c fresh orange juice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 c Splenda (or equivalent of 1c sugar in Xylitol)
3 c flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 c walnuts, finely chopped

Heat oven to 160C.Line a 20 - 25cm cake tine.

In a large bowl place oil, juice, cinnamon and sweetener and mix until the sweetener starts to dissolve.Sift flour and baking power and gradually mix in.When combined add walnuts and mix well.

Pour into tin and bake 15 min.reduce temperature to 130C and bake a further 40 min or until cooked.Cool on rack and serve warm or cool.

davidt4, Jan 10, 1:49am
Mediterranean Orange Cake (2 days)
23cm tin

3 oranges – cut off tops and bottoms, simmer 2 hours, drain, puree.Cover and chill several hours or overnight
15g baking powder
310g ground almonds
8 eggs
2 c Splenda (or equivalent in Xylitol)
flaked almonds

Grease and line tin.Heat oven to 170 C.
Mix baking powder & almonds together.
Mix eggs & sweetener together until just combined.Do not beat.
Measure 375g of orange puree, add to eggs along with almond mixture.
Mix gently until well combined.Pour into tin and scatter with flaked almonds.
Bake 70 - 80 min.Cool overnight in tin.

wildflower, Jan 10, 3:18am
davidt4, they sound very appealing recipes!

carla8, Jan 10, 10:17pm
Thanks for the recipes davidt4 I will try them out for her.

theanimal1, Jan 10, 11:30pm
Egg Sugar and Dairy Free Fruit Cake

1kg of small chopped dried fruit (raisins, cherries, apricots, currants, fruit cake mix, crasins, dates etc)
Pour 1 litre of any pure fruit juice over fruit until just covered
Leave to soak (even over night)
The next day mix in approx 2.5 cups self raising flour
AND THATS IT !!
Bake in moderate oven for about 1.5 hours

litedelites, Jan 11, 3:03am
Hi

Sugar subs are usually replaced one for one, but on cup measurements, not weight, as subs weigh less than sugar.Hope this helps, regards T

carla8, Jan 12, 12:43am
Thanks everyone - great suggestions and information!

carla8, Jan 9, 5:38am
Hi all - my sister has found out she has intolerances to sugar (including honey) and dairy and is finding it hard to find baking type recipes to make.Does anyone here have any recipes for baking that she would be able to use! Thanks heaps!

davidt4, Jan 9, 6:47am
Is she able to have an artificial sweetener like Xylitol or Splenda!

jules329, Jan 9, 8:53am
my son is wheat sugar and dairy free, not hard at all .Just play ,dairy i went to rice milk (fine in cooking) soy has sugar in it,dairy free marg. i did use palm sugar (that coconut, ) Health shop great place to start.honey was great in things, loafs cakes muffin . (use less) Can she have fruit!

carla8, Jan 10, 1:39am
Thanks everyone - she is allowed artificial sweetener as far as I know - does anyone know how you substitute that for sugar in recipes!She is allowed fruit - just not sugar, honey or maple syrup and no sulphur dioxide which is in a lot of dried fruit- but I know there are organic dried fruits out there that don't have it in them.

theanimal1, Jan 10, 11:30pm
Egg Sugar and Dairy Free Fruit Cake

1kg of small chopped dried fruit (raisins, cherries, apricots, currants, fruit cake mix, crasins, dates etc)
Pour 1 litre of any pure fruit juice over fruit until just covered
Leave to soak (even over night)
The next day mix in approx 2.5 cups self raising flour
AND THATS IT !
Bake in moderate oven for about 1.5 hours

uli, Jan 11, 8:06am
bump for .

picxie, Jan 11, 8:13am
Your sister might like to consider buying the Bennessere cookbook - vegan (so dairy free) and sugar free. It's expensive - we got it as a gift but would have purchased it ourselves anyway. It's large and has lots of recipes. http://www.veganwellbeing.net/Benessere/Home.html

cgvl, Jan 11, 8:34am
have a look in the diabetic baking thread there maybe some recipes suitable in there.

terraalba, Jan 11, 9:17am
Almond meal which is available in the baking ingredients at supermarkets is probably a good way to go for someone not into dairy or sugar. It's useful to make things such as a base for desert.

prendy1, Jan 11, 9:25am
From another recipes thread: Slice of Heaven
Sugar-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, guilt-free and delicious Boil together in a saucepan for 10 minutes: • 1 cup raisins • 1 1/2 cups dates • 2 cups water In a large bowl: • 3 cups grated carrots/apples • 1 cup sunflower seeds • 1 cup walnuts • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds • 1/2 cups sesame seeds • 1/2 cup coconut • 1 1/2 cups flour or rice flour if gluten free• 1 tsp cinnamon • 1 tsp baking soda • 1 tsp vanilla essence • Pinch of salt • boiled raisins and dates Combine and press into a greased tin and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 150 degrees Celsius for approximately 30 minutes

guest, Jan 11, 5:57am
That's cleared my thoughts. Thanks for conrbituting.

guest, Jan 13, 12:51pm
Chef salad, yogurt, preeltzs. 3 things my 9 yo loves! They took the chef salad away cuz not enough of the grade school kids ate it. They also had cut veggies with ranch dressing and took that off too cuz no child except mine (apparently) would eat it. And they never had yogurt. I told her from the get-go it was a dessert. Now she loves it. And broccoli, spinach, and a lot of other veggies.They only have to meet a certain number with calories and fat for a meal to be accepted in schools. The best thing would be if you can pack your kids' lunch every day. I work full time and hope that the school can provide a decent lunch. There are times though that she's told me she had nachos for lunch. Not a real meal. And I pay for that crap!

guest, Jan 14, 7:46pm
If it's not appetizing, they're not going to eat it. Appetizing, hatelhy and affordable is not easy. Plus, preparing for 1,000 or so students in just 4 hours. If we could just get the battered and fried meats and vegies out, it would be healthier. They need more herbs and spices to enhance the flavor and less grease. Roast chicken can be easily prepared, so can chili and roast beef. But that's just three and they need at least a 10 day rotation. It's not an easy task!