Jam Making without using sugar - Diabetic

seedy4, Jan 2, 11:54pm
Glad I found this thread as I was about to start one the same.

I have 1 kg Boysenberries and have searched the EQUAL website and it gave a recipe for strawberries (below) so if I use the same amount of Baking Equal how long will the jam last!
Anyone tried Baking Equal for jam!

500g ripe strawberries
2 1/2 cups Equal Baking Sweetener
25g jamsetta with pectin
Hull the strawberries and halve. Put berries into a saucepan and cook gently, uncovered for 15 minutes. Add jamsetta and bring to the boil. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occassionally. Take off the heat and add Equal. Stir well to dissolve, cool and refrigerate.

Jamsetta is available in the baking aisle at supermarkets nationally.[Australian recipe]

fec2003, Jan 3, 12:38am
I use fructose. It's a good alternative for a type 2 diabetic and has little or no impact on his blood sugar levels.And it keeps without being in the fridge, until it's opened.

For some jams I use 20% sugar, 20% fructose ratio to the amount of fruit, others I use 35% fructose to fruit ratio. And again, if the diet is well-controlled, it makes very little difference. (Fructose being natural fruit sugar, and being sweeter than normal sugar, too!)

It will depend on how well the diabetes is managed as to whether that small amount of refined sugar is tolerated. I've used this method for my husband for almost 20 years, with no problems.

soundsie, Jan 3, 11:54am
I am making jam for a diabetic, hence using apple concentrate in place of sugar.

1.Instructions say....keep in fridge for 2 weeks, once opened, and use.

2. I am using apple concentrate as the setting jell, which seems to work well, a little longer cooking.

3.Are you able to keep the unopened jams in the freezer, and they not set hard., or are you able to store seakled jamx in a cool dark place? I am aware that you can keep sugar jams in the freezer, without them going solid. There is no sugar content in the diabetic recipes, apart from the apple concentrate., what happens to that?

4.If a jar does not seal tight...eg pop top, does putting parafin wax over it...oncecold...hold the preserve??, or is it needed to be kept in the deep freeze until required, that is if it does not freeze solid?

Thanks heaps to those have had tried and reply....much appreciated..

lythande1, Jan 3, 7:19pm
Apple concentrate? Why not just that stuff that looks like sugar and isn't? And remember the fruit has sucrose in it.

kirinesha, Jan 3, 7:49pm
You might find Xylitol handy for this sort of recipe. I make Lemon Honey/Curd with Xylitol and it's fabulous.

uli, Jan 4, 6:32am
The apple concentrate will have lots of sugar in it - check the label before giving it to a diabetic!

Diabetic jams usually have some gelling agent like seaweed or gelatine and a sugar replacement (some artificial sweetener).

Read up on it. The apple concentrate is not going to be "sugar free" as you might believe.

seedy4, Jan 3, 7:15am
Thanks fec .I will try that.

soundsie, Jan 3, 11:54am
I am making jam for a diabetic, hence using apple concentrate in place of sugar.

1.Instructions say.keep in fridge for 2 weeks, once opened, and use.

2. I am using apple concentrate as the setting jell, which seems to work well, a little longer cooking.

3.Are you able to keep the unopened jams in the freezer, and they not set hard., or are you able to store seakled jamx in a cool dark place! I am aware that you can keep sugar jams in the freezer, without them going solid. There is no sugar content in the diabetic recipes, apart from the apple concentrate., what happens to that!

4.If a jar does not seal tight.eg pop top, does putting parafin wax over it.oncecold.hold the preserve!, or is it needed to be kept in the deep freeze until required, that is if it does not freeze solid!

Thanks heaps to those have had tried and reply.much appreciated.

lythande1, Jan 3, 7:19pm
Apple concentrate! Why not just that stuff that looks like sugar and isn't! And remember the fruit has sucrose in it.

kirinesha, Jan 3, 7:49pm
You might find Xylitol handy for this sort of recipe. I make Lemon Honey/Curd with Xylitol and it's fabulous.