Cabbage Pickle/Chutney

smithy49, Jan 2, 5:01am
Does anybody have the recipe for this, it has in it cabbage, vinegar, sugar and I think mustard, thanks in advance.

darlingmole, Jan 2, 6:46am
isnt it called sauer kraut or something?

buzzy110, Jan 2, 6:55am
No. This condiment is not sauerkraut.

buzzy110, Jan 2, 6:55am
Maybe you could adapt a piccalilli recipe.

yduj, Jan 2, 7:07am
I do

I call it "White Cabbage Pickle"and it's like Picallili

4 onions
1 large cabbage (or plus cauli, beans, green tomato, cucumber)

Cut cabbage and onion finely.Sprinkle with a little salt and allow to stand for 24 hours.Strain salt and liquid off and boil slowly for about 30 minutes in 1.2 litres of vinegar.

In the meantime mix:

1 cup flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tblspn Turmeric
600mls Vinegar
1 Tblspn Curry Powder
2 Tblspn Mustard

Add to the boiling mixture and boil together for 15 minutes.
Into sterilised jars and lids.

toeblister, Jan 2, 7:10am
Sorry smithy49 i had that recipe and can't quite believe I don't have it now.My mil gave me the recipe years ago and it is great!Her recipe is ''cauliflower and cabbage'.If nobody is able to post it tonight i will ask her for it again in the morning.

toeblister, Jan 2, 7:13am
Smithy49 that's it!The recipe yduj posted.

dezzie, Jan 2, 8:22am
woohoo, I have yduj's one as well, kind of, mine had musto in it, and they don't make it anymore, so I'm glad to see what to use instead of that.

olwen, Jan 2, 8:34am
The way we did cabbage pickle was to shred a cabbage fairlythinly (use a firm white cabbage or red cabbage).Sprinkle with salt and leaver overnight.Drain water from it and pack pack cabbage into clean jars.Cover with hot spiced vinegar.Cover and leave a few weeks before you use it.

korbo, Jan 2, 9:32am
just had some red cabbage pickle with my dinner tonight.
I will have to alter the recipe this year, as it was really bitey/vinegary and kinda burnt your throat. Any ideas, what could cause this.

buzzy110, Jan 2, 9:09pm
Not unless you can supply more info on how it was made and what went into it. could be that too much mustard or similar was added. However, piccalilli is like that at first and shouldn't be eaten for at least 6 weeks to allow the flavours to mellow out.

smithy49, Jan 3, 1:04am
Hey thats it.Thanks so much will try that one.

darlingmole, Jan 2, 6:46am
isnt it called sauer kraut or something!

yduj, Jan 2, 7:07am
I do

I call it "White Cabbage Pickle"and it's like Picallili

4 onions
1 large cabbage (or plus cauli, beans, green tomato, cucumber)

Cut cabbage and onion finely.Sprinkle with a little salt and allow to stand for 24 hours.Strain salt and liquid off and boil slowly for about 30 minutes in 1.2 litres of vinegar.

In the meantime mix:

1 cup flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tblspn Turmeric
600mls Vinegar
1 Tblspn Curry Powder
2 Tblspn Mustard

Add to the boiling mixture and boil together for 15 minutes.
Into sterilised jars and lids.

toeblister, Jan 2, 7:10am
Sorry smithy49 i had that recipe and can't quite believe I don't have it now.My mil gave me the recipe years ago and it is great!Her recipe is ''cauliflower and cabbage'.If nobody is able to post it tonight i will ask her for it again in the morning.

toeblister, Jan 2, 7:13am
Smithy49 that's it!The recipe yduj posted.

dezzie, Jan 2, 8:22am
woohoo, I have yduj's one as well, kind of, mine had musto in it, and they don't make it anymore, so I'm glad to see what to use instead of that.

olwen, Jan 2, 8:34am
The way we did cabbage pickle was to shred a cabbage fairlythinly (use a firm white cabbage or red cabbage).Sprinkle with salt and leaver overnight.Drain water from it and pack pack cabbage into clean jars.Cover with hot spiced vinegar.Cover and leave a few weeks before you use it.

P.S. My father made this with white drumhead cabbage.My English partner likes red cabbage

buzzy110, Jan 2, 9:09pm
Not unless you can supply more info on how it was made and what went into it. could be that too much mustard or similar was added. However, piccalilli is like that at first and shouldn't be eaten for at least 6 weeks to allow the flavours to mellow out.