Fresh Fig Jam recipies

wineo, Mar 2, 11:45pm
Hi I have been lucky enough so source some reasonable priced fresh figs, anyone help with a recipie

indy95, Mar 3, 8:07pm
This comes from the AWW Preserves book:-

Apple and Fig Jam

600g apples peeled and chopped
1 litre water
500g figs chopped
2 cups water extra
1kg sugar approximately

Simmer apples and first measure of water covered for about 30 mins. Add figs and extra water and simmer for about 10 mins or until figs are soft.

Measure fruit mixture and allow 3/4 cup of sugar for each cup of fruit. Heat until sugar is dissolved then boil without stirring for about 30 mins or until setting point is reached.

This makes about 5 cups of jam.

I also have a recipe for Fig and Ginger Conserve which I can post if anyone would like it.

lindylambchops1, Mar 4, 3:57am
Oh yes please the fig & ginger conserve... . . I have a fig tree, this year it is loaded, this will be the first year of harvest... . not sure how to tell when they are ripe. Any fig uses would be appreciated.

indy95, Mar 4, 10:22pm
Fig and Ginger Conserve ( also from AWW Book of Preserves )

1 kg figs chopped
1/2 c orange juice
2 tbsps lemon juice
1 tbsp sweet sherry
1 1/2 tbsps grated fresh ginger
2 c sugar

Bring figs, juices, sherry and ginger to boil and simmer covered for about 20 mins or until figs are soft.

Stir in sugar over low heat until it is dissolved. Biring to boil and boil uncovered without stirring for about 20 mins or until setting point is reached.

This makes about 3 cups.

wineo, Mar 4, 11:34pm
Thanks for the recipies indy95

indy95, Mar 4, 11:37pm
You are very welcome, wineo. I hope you enjoy your jam/conserve.

lindylambchops1, Mar 5, 2:37am
Thank you for the fig recipes, they sound delicious! How do I know when my figs in the garden are ready for picking? I will certainly try these recipes when they are ready.

indy95, Mar 5, 2:45am
Lindylambchops ( lovely name ) I'm not certain about that. If you ask the same question in DIY and Gardening I'm sure someone will be able to tell you very quickly.

lindylambchops1, Mar 5, 8:49am
LOLTY I will ask in gardening.

iamkat, Mar 5, 8:56am
Hey lindylambchops1 have you thought of listing some of your figs ? I havernt seen any fresh figs for sale in CHCH

katalin2, Oct 3, 9:15am
your figs are ready when the birds start eating them! ! ! we have to try to beat the birds- often need to cut out the pecked bits... .