Cold water jelly, great time saver

Page 1 / 2
dna187, Dec 21, 3:04am
dont forget ladies you can buy jelly that sets in an hour and uses only cold water. great stuff.

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 3:05am
Where?

gardie, Dec 21, 3:06am
I find the flavour is nowhere as nice as the original one - I do use this in my classroom though.I make traffic lights with the kids.By the time the second layer is ready to pour into the cups, the 1st layer has already set.Its great.

buzzy110, Dec 21, 3:23am
Why bother? Why not just use a small amount of hot water to dissolve the jelly crystals and then add the rest of the water as either unheated or even chilled in the fridge.

But does jelly really and truly have a 'nice flavour'. It just tastes like set coloured, sweet water to me.

dna187, Dec 21, 3:50am
well i just thought id let the ladies know, as theres so much
to do at the moment, just a thought.

goldgurl_design, Dec 21, 4:34am
I'm with buzzy...I just use half boiling to disolve and half cold...
didn't even know you could get 'cold water' jelly.

gardie, Dec 21, 4:39am
And a good idea - a lot of people haven't heard of it.

buzzy110, Dec 21, 4:43am
Sorry dna187. I didn't mean to sound disparaging. Just thought that making jelly with mostly cold water, after dissolving in hot was a good way of getting round the time problem.

dna187, Dec 21, 4:46am
no problem, i have had problems setting jelly over the years, in a certain time frame, so found the jellys couple of years ago, and found them again, and thought great. Even just to have in the cupboard for emergency non jelly setting or something lol.

accroul, Dec 21, 4:50am
They don't have the same 'texture' as jelly that you make with hot water though.

pickles7, Dec 21, 5:52am
No, but great for campers. I think the weight-watchers jelly is the best jelly for setting now.

cgvl, Dec 21, 7:11am
the quick set cold water jelly is great, often setting before I have finished beating it. The other way it still takes several hours, the quick set is ready within 5 mins.

falcon-hell, Dec 21, 7:19am
my 7 year old loves the stuff,so good when he comes asking,knowing it'll be set in bugger all time.

rosathemad, Dec 21, 7:28am
The cold water jelly (the Gregg's stuff, at least) is also vegetarian - that is, it's not made with gelatine (probably why the texture is different), so if you have picky vegetarians (i.e. the ones who actually exclude all meat products) to serve that can be good to know. :-)

noonesgirl, Dec 21, 7:31am
Add citric acid to your jelly, brings out the flavour especially the raspberry

accroul, Dec 21, 6:23pm
ooooh, must try that!

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 3:05am
Where!

buzzy110, Dec 21, 3:23am
Why bother! Why not just use a small amount of hot water to dissolve the jelly crystals and then add the rest of the water as either unheated or even chilled in the fridge.

But does jelly really and truly have a 'nice flavour'. It just tastes like set coloured, sweet water to me.

goldgurl_design, Dec 21, 4:34am
I'm with buzzy.I just use half boiling to disolve and half cold.
didn't even know you could get 'cold water' jelly.

gardie, Dec 21, 4:39am
And a good idea - a lot of people haven't heard of it.

buzzy110, Dec 21, 4:43am
Sorry dna187. I didn't mean to sound disparaging. Just thought that making jelly with mostly cold water, after dissolving in hot was a good way of getting round the time problem.

accroul, Dec 21, 4:50am
They don't have the same 'texture' as jelly that you make with hot water though.

falcon-hell, Dec 21, 7:19am
my 7 year old loves the stuff,so good when he comes asking,knowing it'll be set in bugger all time.

rosathemad, Dec 21, 7:28am
The cold water jelly (the Gregg's stuff, at least) is also vegetarian - that is, it's not made with gelatine (probably why the texture is different), so if you have picky vegetarians (i.e. the ones who actually exclude all meat products) to serve that can be good to know. :-)

uli, Dec 21, 11:59pm
bump for another Xmas treat