Your Xmas Day Menu

Page 2 / 3
punkinthefirst, Dec 22, 10:52pm
Snapper, prawns, avocado, rice , all in asalad. Maybe some cold chicken and/or ham with veges.
Fresh mango, pineapple, strawberries, peaches, grapes and other fruit in a fruit salad.
A glass of bubbly or two with cheese selection.
All fresh, easy and non-stodgy food, since I'm on my own this year (my choice - I can't be bothered traveling to family Christmases several hours' drive away). It's been great being able to buy treats I never have any other time, but I do wish I had a diver close by who would present me with a live crayfish....LOL.I reckon its about time I tasted it!!

davidt4, Dec 22, 11:13pm
A picnic at our local beach - home baked ham; home smoked salmon; capsicum and anchovy salad;mint, rocket, basil, tomato, cucumber and feta salad; Deutz Marlborough; Hunter's Sauvignon Blanc; cherries and home grown strawberries.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 12:52am
I've done absolutely everything for Xmas over the years, swinging wildly from traditional (for my mother's benefit) to wildly exotic (for my daughter's benefit). This year will be no different only I see it as being very easy (which it probably won't be).

However, I have a new family member who only eats fish and seafood or legumes with tiny amounts of beef so I am having to cater to him or he'll starve. This is what I am planning:

Basically a French degustation menu with appropriate sauces, fine herbs and French champagne or pinot noir (the beef course): (this means very small servings of each course so not much cooking, platters or plates and stuff involved)

In no particular order we'll be having over the course of about 4 - 5 hours:

Buckwheat sourdough blini with smoked salmon, sour cream and caviar. Would love to throw in some frozen vodka but I want people to finish the meal. Last time we had those, the dishes got thrown over the neighbour's roof because we couldn't be fagged washing them.

Salmon fillet baked with a crunchy topping and served with fresh asparagus and baby carrots and leeks.

Scallop kebabs (scallops and red capsicum) served on a mushroom flavoured rissotto made with fish and crayfish stock.

Crayfish medallions on baked eggplant with hollandaise sauce and roasted beans (done with olive oil, ripped basil and cherry tomatoes)

Rare eye fillet of beef with rosemary and sea salt baked vegetables. Jus.

Cheese and fresh fruit platter

Tiny pastry cases filled with a lemon curd flavoured creme patisserie with mandarin topping
Tiny chocolate cases filled with raspberry flavoured creme patisserie and fresh raspberry topping
Small servings of blackberry flavoured semi-freddo (make in tiny patty cases)
Dessert wine

To finish - traditional homemade Xmas mince pies, chocolates, nuts and coffee.

I have Xmas cake (nearly all gone now) that I made and added a whole bar of Lindt 85% chocolate to and have drowned in brandy. I may serve small slices of that with the mince pies, etc but I doubt that anyone will want it.

I have an Xmas pudding that I made earlier which I may cook and serve with custard if anyone wants it but I doubt that will happen.

rkcroft, Dec 23, 2:36am
Geeze, buzzy, thats a sh*t load of work.Hope you're not having much of it as there's lots of carbs in there.I wouldn't do that much work if I couldn't eat most of it.

macwood2, Dec 23, 3:43am
Davidt - i love your postings.Can you tell me what is in your tomato, cucumber & feta salad please?Apart from the obvious, of course!TIA

davidt4, Dec 23, 3:58am

seniorbones, Dec 23, 6:04am
This sounds nice, didnt even get a salad as nice as this in Turkey! it states they like zany zuess feta but I wonder where they get it from, I have had it but dont know where to buy it, even went to Moera where they produced it thinking they would sell there but no it was all shut up and some guy was just sitting at a desk doing the accounts.

horgi, Dec 23, 9:19am
nibbles??
shrimp cocktails
homekill fillet steak and snapper on the BBQ
glazed ham
cold cuts lamb
cold cut chicken
salads??(SIL is in charge of that)
jersey benne potatoes from the garden
vegetable/feta roast thingee
trifle
fresh fruit salad
pav with raspberries from the garden
christmas pud
christmas cake
..............................-

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:28am
Actually most of the work is pre done and the amounts are so small that prep work for each dish is infinitesimal. Hardly any carbs either (well not xmas day levels anyway) because, once again, the servings are tiny. So a serving of rice rissotto is probably only about 1-2tblspns. Get the picture?

The only area of carbs is going to be the dessert and one tiny pastry case, one tiny chocolate case and one tiny semi-freddo serving does not come to a whole heap of carbs.

You just have to wrap your head around the French degustation thing. It is not something most NZers are familiar with but it works beautifully. I've enjoyed several of these meals when I was in France and they are amazing.

There will be small, but delicious salads, made up mostly of fresh leafy ingredients from my garden to go between courses as well.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:32am
I wouldn't want to pre-suppose davidt4 but pretty much feta is feta. As the dish is Turkish I'd advise buying a goat's milk feta rather than cow's milk feta as it has more 'zing'. P-n-S has a variety of feta's to choose from which won't break the budget.

andrea1978, Dec 23, 11:36am
feta is feta?no way!don't let any middle eastern people hear you say that!my ex introduced me to feta cheese that was unlike any i had eaten previously - not salty and deliciously creamy.so good with bread, dates and almonds for breakfast.he went to khyber spices to get it i believe.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 11:49am
Yep. I'll believe that there are many versions of feta and the way yours was eaten sounds wonderful. Still, for a salad, like the one posted, you just get a 'melange' of flavours and a good feta from a boutique maker work well with that I think.

The feta is crumbled into the dressing so you can reduce the salt by leaving out the salt in the recipe if you want.

All the goat's milk feta's I have tasted are more salty, and definitely sharper, than cow's milk feta and I prefer it that way. Cow's milk is creamier but a little bland for my taste. I may as well get another type of cheese altogether. Maybe that is what the salad needs. **Shrugs**. Perhaps the strong flavour of the mint and rocket and bite of the lemon juice provide the salad with enough zing without adding a sharp feta into the mix.

trah, Dec 23, 7:08pm
Zany Zeuss feta - I just get it from Countdown.It is indeed a lovely feta.

davidt4, Dec 23, 8:05pm
I buy Zany Zeus from New World, Countdown and the Auckland Fish Market.

davidt4, Dec 23, 8:30pm
That's right.When we were in Istanbul I was fascinated by all the white cheeses and bought different kinds every day - some were crumbly and sharp, some mild and creamy, most were cow's milk, some buffalo, goat or ewe.They were all wonderful, especially with ripe figs.And Kaymak is one of the best things I've ever eaten!

tabitha, Dec 23, 10:14pm
I'm having ham, chicken, potatoes, salad & garlic bread, followed by fresh fruit salad with baby pavs topped with whipped cream & cherries, and some strawberries with chocolate dip.
Your menu sounds fine to me. You're supposed to enjoy it too - not be exhausted!

cookessentials, Dec 23, 11:24pm
I prefer simple and tasty. Glazed ham with freshly dug Jersey Benne potatoes from the garden. Green leaf salad with walnuts and blue cheese and dressing, fresh green beans with lemon.
Black Forest Trifle with Kirsch cherries, home made choc mousse topping.
For the other days, it wil be simple such as tonight, it will be the salmon and orzo pasta salad which is quick and easy.

I have a leg of lamb which I smother with a dijon rub overnight, then layer sliced potatoes,onion,tomatoes,parsni-
ps,wine and herbs into a roasting dish. pop a rack on the top and place lamb on top. As it cooks in the oven, the juices drip down into the vegetables below and it is delicious...this will be served warm as is with no extras.

lythande1, Dec 24, 1:27am
Ye old kiwi summer BBQ. Wood smoked of course, none of this outdoor oven rubbish.

Sausages, chicken pieces, lamb chops, mussells for the fishy people, garlic bread, salads and lots of fresh fruit - strawberries, cherries, peaches - to pick at after. No puddings or cakes.
Oh and in my family we always make out own Pate Maison. That's just for nibbling at whenever over the next 2 - 3 days.

rrrg, Dec 27, 12:07am
Can you post the black forest trifle recipe please

macwood2, Dec 27, 2:58am
Davidt4 thanks for the salad I will try that for New Year.I wouldn't mind the capsicum and anchovy if you have time.TIA

davidt4, Dec 27, 4:36am
Capsicum & Anchovy Salad

to serve 4 as a side dish

4 - 6 red or yellow capsicums (King Sweeties are good)
125 ml extra virgin olive oil(good quality!)
1 small red onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
8 - 10 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
2 - 3 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tab red wine vinegar
salt & freshly ground pepper

De-seed capsicums, cut into rough chunks approx 2cm.

In a large shallow pan heat half of the oil over medium heat, add the onion and garlic and cook about 5 minutes until golden but not brown.Add the anchovies and stir a few minutes until the anchovy starts to break down.Add the capsicums and stir a few minutes to coat in the oil.

Add the tomatoes stir well, lower heat to a simmer and allow to cook for about 30 minutes until the capsicums are softened.Keep an eye on it and add a little water if it looks dry.

Add the vinegar and simmer 5 minutes.Check salt (it may not need any) and add lots of pepper.Allow to cool in a serving bowl and just before serving pour the rest of the oil over.

Serve tepid or cold.This will keep in the fridge for several days.

I suggest that unless your guests like anchovies (many people are nervous of them) you don't mention their presence.Call it Braised Capsicums.

buzzy110, Dec 27, 4:53am
Oh my davidt4. That recipe looks fabulous. I can shut my eyes and imagine savouring the luscious flavours that make up that dish. Saved to my Recipes folder.

davidt4, Dec 27, 5:20am
Hi buzzy110.Yes, it's my new favourite salad and I've made it about six times since I first put it together a month ago, including a 16 capsicum batch for a Christmas party.

rainrain1, Dec 27, 5:21am
Xmas dinner menufrom a boat fishing down in the ice

NIBBLES:lollies, chips & Dips, nuts, pate & Crackers

Starters:Smoked Icefish, Smoked Salmon & Toothfish, Sashimi of Toothfish & Salmon, Marinated mussels & Marinated Toothfish in coconut cream - sushi, tossed salads & Condiments.

Mains:Baked Ham, Stuffed Turkey Breast, Roast Beef & Gravy, Roast Chicken, Scallop Spuds, Roast pumpkin,Kumara, Parsnip & Carrots, peas, Cauliflower cheese & Silverbeet.

Pudding:Ambrosia, fresh fruit salad, Lemon Tart, Cherry & Almond Tart, Xmas pud & Brandy custard, Pavlova, Brandy Snaps, Chocolate Profiterols, & Christmas Cake.

kob, Dec 27, 5:39pm
well i too normally cook to everyones requirements on xmas day, I tell everyone what im cooking and they say well we have to have this or we have to have that, so i obey.....this year i was knackered and said nope we are having nibbles and a bbq with salad which is what we did have we had a huge breakfast of bacon eggs frid spuds and warm crossoints and freshly squuzed oj, then nothingg at all until 7 pm when we had a nice mesculan salad, cucumenrs done in vinegar & sugar and a tomato & strawberery salad, with pineapple & passionfruit cheescake & fresh cut strawberries for dessert. Was absolutely lovely and no waste, noramlly we are forced to eat leftovers for days because of the amount we cooked but not this year, im convinced it was much better there was no streees and i got to play with nieces ans make necklaces & do jigsaws which would noramlly be out of the questions cause theres to much to do