Aarrgghh - Mini Pecan Pie Help, Please!!!

chynna2, Dec 17, 2:09am
I followed the recipe posted on a previous thread, and made 16 pastry cases in mini muffin tins.However, I have lots of the nut filling left over, after filling each case to the top!!!

Can anyone please help me to see where I am going so wrong on this?

chynna2, Dec 17, 2:33am
To top off my attempt at baking today the pies got stuck in the tins and I now have a crumbled mess!!!

Think I am best not to take the pies to MIL's tomorrow as she is renowned for her "perfect" home baking LOL!!

evorotorua, Dec 17, 2:45am
What you have now is "nut rubble!" wonderful on ice cream lucky you. I always have too much nut mix left over so I normally make double the base recipe and just a single filling amount. That normally does the trick. The leftover filling does keep in the fridge. I have done so for many weeks and it is still fine.

chynna2, Dec 17, 2:48am
Oh thanks evorotorua!!I saw in a previous thread that you were a professional at making these yummy pies!

I will keep the filling (fortunately it is still in the bowl), and make another lot next week when I am feeling confident about making them again!

Do you grease your muffin tins too?The only good pies were the four I had to put in my flexi muffin tin to get 16!

dollydot, Dec 17, 2:54am
I make them every year and yes I always have filling left over but pop it in the fridge till I have time to make more.Do you use Jo Seagar's recipe? Everyone loves them!Aren't pecans expensive though?Pak n Save had run out so bought them at New World still well over $4.00 for a small packet, but it's only once a year!

chynna2, Dec 17, 3:04am
Hi dollydot! Yes, I used the Jo Seager recipe.I also had to buy more pecans (at their high price, as the small 70gm bag didn't quite make 1 cup!I paid $4.49 (on special) for 115gms at Foodtown (Countdown), compared to $2.29 for 70gms at New World.

nzl99, Dec 17, 3:14am
Hehe was just going to suggest adding it to softened vanilla icecream and refreezing for a Christmas day treat.Or adding to a basic cheesecake recipe...

evorotorua, Dec 17, 3:56am
well I wouldn't call me an expert but I am VERY experienced. I think I have made thousands of these over the last few years. They go down a treat everywhere I take them. I have been trying to think of any little tips I can share. I do use a spray oil for the muffin tins. Not heaps. When they come out of the oven I leave them for about 10-15 mins and then turn the pie inside the tin hole to loosen and then tip them out carefully. I don't use pecans but rather blanced peanuts processed a bit in the blender. I actually put the nuts in with the sugar and butter mix and then spoon that into the cases rather than trying to pour the mix over the nuts (if you know what I mean!) Make sure the butter is pretty soft when you make the dough. You should be able to form the shape of the case in your hand. Then put the tray of cases into the fridge for about ten minutes before filling them. bThat helps the butter and flour set harder and not leak. Good luck and remember, there's no such thing as a total disaster, just change the name of the recipe!!!!!!

chynna2, Dec 17, 9:54am
Thanks for the tips, evorotorua!!

I loved your new name for my pies "nut rubble" LOL!

I will spray my tins with oil lightly next week when I make my next batch.

I have tried one (ok, then two!!) of the disasters without any additions and the taste was fab! :-)

dollydot, Dec 17, 11:20am
Good tips for successful pies on here, guess what I am making tomorrow to take to a family do. Like the nut rubble name too! Our kids love what we call the "munters" when baking or some of them go wrong as they're the bits they get to eat without waiting till later.

I sometimes spin out the pecans with walnuts if they're cheaper.It's also easy to overfill those little cases with the mixture so it overflows and sticks like crazy.I just teaspoon the liquid in over the nuts carefully and they stay looking nice. Thy are yummy aren't they chynna! A nice tradition, our kids can't wait for them and say Mum make lots!

gardie, Nov 9, 2:53am
I cut small strips of baking paper about a cm wide and pop these into the tins before I put the pastry in.You still need to give the cooked pie a little twist but this really helps. Use the paper to lift the little pies out.
My best hint though by far is to buy Wiltshire mini muffin tins from Farmers.They have a metal top just like a normal muffin tray but each little cup is made from silicon.They are about $50 (keep an eye out for specials) but really are the best thing since sliced bread.No more nut rubble ice cream for me!(Jo Seagar has these online too).