Single and Double cream?

wally27, Dec 12, 7:37am
Can you get single and double cream.Want to make the mint truffles that Gordon Ramsey made.Need both creams but not sure where to get from.

baalamb, Dec 12, 9:34am
I dont know if I'm right, but I wonder if double cream is what we call cream and single is just our full cream milk. I've also heard double cream referred to as "whipping cream" which would also fit in with the above. I'd be interested to know if thats right or not.

cgvl, Dec 12, 10:33pm
Whipping cream and double cream are the same or similar to our standard cream.
Single cream is like our lite cream

If a recipe states double cream I use the standard cream we get if it asks fro single cream I use a 50/50 mix of milk and cream.
Sometimes you'll get a recipe that says pouring cream ... again I use our standard variety.

dragonzflame, Dec 12, 11:14pm
It's to do with the fat content. Double cream (48% fat in Britain!) is basically our standard cream. Single cream has a lower fat content (10-12%), but is definitely not milk. You probably could get away with mixing with milk. It's nuts how in a dairy country we don't have those options.

redrose, Dec 12, 11:41pm
I was told to use thickened cream which I got from woolworths and also its at countdown.

kay141, Dec 13, 12:17am
I thought thickened cream has some sort of thickener in it and wasn't pure cream. That could affect the recipe.

accroul, Dec 13, 12:27am
Thickened cream has gelatine and maize starch (cornflour) in it- from memory.

guest, Dec 15, 7:04am
I want to make the same recipe. From my research online:

UK double cream has 48% milk fat
UK single cream has approx. 18% milk fat

NZ cream is 35% milk fat.
Thickened cream is the same (about 35% fat) with added gelatine and thickeners, so really is nothing like double cream.

The recipe calls for 250ml double and 250ml single cream, so I figure using 500ml of normal NZ cream would work out about the same (bear with me while I do some maths) [48% + 18% = 66%... divided by 2 to give an average fat percentage = 33%]. That seems close enough to the 35% in our normal cream with a red lid, so that's what I'm going to try!

temarua_chef, Dec 3, 9:44am
I also saw the choc mint truffles that Gordon made but was clueless when it came to double and single cream.
From what i have read from everyones feedback it seems as though double cream for us would be our normal cream and the single cream would be the light cream mixed in with a little bit of milk.

Ill have a try at that and if everythings goes terribly wrong ill be sure to post up!