Advice on choc dipping truffles please

Page 2 / 2
meegs35, Dec 17, 7:16pm
Don't freeze them for too long or else when the chocolate sets it can crack as the truffle inside softens. I use either block chocolate or melts. I find with the block chocolate that it can be hard to avoid a 'bloom' as it really needs to be tempered but the melts seem to set well and look good. I wouldn't thin with cream but would add a bit of oil.

daleaway, Dec 17, 11:48pm
Do your chocolates stay glossy after being melted and dipped?

One lot of mine is dull looking (I dipped in melts with nothing added), and the Rum and Raisin Clusters have gone quite dull and spiky - was that the effect of the alcohol content? (These were just teaspoon drops of the melted chocolate with raisins soaked in rum stirred into it.)

How do you get chocolates with a shine on? Is there a better product than the melts?

Also, if using silicon iceblock moulds for chocolates, should they be oiled first?

Chocolate novice here!

timetable, Dec 18, 12:07am
i use choc drops from bin inn - cadbury ones...i always use a bit of kremelta to thin the choc down, and use a swril that i brought for about $5 at spot light.always frezze the truffles first and choc dip when frozen.any liquid in the choc will effect it.i don't use alcohol but when i do clusters i just put in all the nuts and fruit into the choc and then mix with a spoon and put the spoonfulls on gladwrap on the bench....choc done at home won't have the same shine etc that store bought ones do.....you moulds should be aok - enjoy and just go with the flow..it just takes practice....i melt mine in a bowl over boiling water - once the water is boiling just turn it off and place the bowl on the pot.

meegs35, Dec 22, 4:33am
To get the shine on the chocolate it needs to be tempered first.

babytears, Aug 14, 4:43am
Shopaholic. Where can I get some of that gorgeous glitter you used on your truffles!

gardie, Nov 19, 7:21am
Bumping for the peanut butter truffles recipe - its that time of the year again! Edited to add - I use smooth peanut butter for a smooth centre.Gonna try rolling some in crushed toasted peanuts this year - and some in chocolate.

bubbles22222, Nov 19, 8:09am
do your chill your truffle before dipping in chocolate and is the chocolate still warm when you do it, i guess it would be otherwise the chocoloate would set in a bowl.

jaybee6, Nov 19, 8:23am
A few drops of oil is all that is needed just to thin the choc down a bit.

elliehen, Nov 19, 8:41am
gardie, I have another recipe to add here:

NATASJA'S PEANUT BUTTER BALLS

Combine:
1 cup extra-chunky peanut butter
1 cup rice bubbles
1 cup sifted icing sugar
3 Tablespoons soft butter

Mix very well and roll into small balls.Put into fridge to chill for several hours.

Melt 375gm chocolate melts (instead I use 1 large block Whittaker's Dark Ghana 72% cocoa solids, to offset the sweetness)

Bring water to boil in saucepan, take off heat, fit bowl with broken chocolate on top, but don't let the bowl touch the water. Stir till melted - about 4 minutes.

Dip chilled balls in chocolate and put on baking paper. Chill in fridge, and keep stored there.

Notes:
+ I used a jar of Pic's salted peanut butter.
+ Extra roasted peanuts (optional)
+ Always use good quality chocolate, not compound stuff

gardie, Nov 19, 4:35pm
Sounds good elliehen. Thanks.I am always after something different.I usually make date balls, mint slice truffles and the peanut butter truffles on here.There is a lemon truffle recipe on here somewhere using white chocolate and cream which my sister made last year - they were divine too.Its so nice to have a repertoire of easy recipes that impress those who eat them.

holmsies, Dec 12, 2:35am
Tried choc melts with some cream to thin it, but its too gluey. how do you avoid them getting a flat bottom!I have had truffles in freezer for an hour - not long enuf!What do you sit them on once dipped, how long to hold them on the dipping wire spoon thingy etc!
Any other tips and tricks you have please!

wildflower, Dec 12, 3:07am
I don't know how you could avoid flat bottoms.I just dip mine in melted Whittakers and leave to set.You buy any chocolate you usually have one side that's the bottom.

gardie, Dec 12, 3:23am
If your melted chocolate is too thick, add some kremelta, teaspoon by teaspoon until it is the consistency you want.Pop the truffles in the freezer prior to dipping and the chocolate sets pretty much instantly.I'm a bit worried that you may have put too much cream in the chocolate and it won't set by the sounds of it.Use 2 forks to turn the truffle in the chocolate then lift it with one, let drip and then very carefully use the other fork to slide it off onto some baking paper.Like wildflower says, they'll will always be a bottom.If you've let it drip enough, it won't form a pool of chocolate underneath but will sit beautifully on a plate without rolling around.

Also, best not to freeze after dipping - the chocolate sweats.I made mint slice truffles this morning and some peanut butter ones.Once dipped, I put a swirl of white chocolate on the mint ones, and some chopped nuts on the peanut ones.They look devine - and taste good too.

wildflower, Dec 12, 3:25am
gardie, have you a recipe for the peanut butter ones please!

I tried the mint slice ones last week.Discovered too much dark choccie gives me a headache lol.

gardie, Dec 12, 3:39am
A skewer would probably work too - I found that the frozen balls were very easy to handle with the fork although you have to make sure the balls are thoroughly coated in chocolate - a couple 'leaked'.Good excuse to eat them I guess.

holmsies, Dec 12, 3:59am
Thanks for all the good advice.Whats your prefered chocolate for dipping, are choc melts OK or need real chocolate!Will have to get some kremelta tomorrow.

rosathemad, Dec 12, 4:11am
I prefer real chocolate as it tastes miles better, and after all taste is the most important thing. ;-)

I have made truffles on sticks (for bouquets, see the first pic here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/10/tim-tam-truffles-and-candy-melts-winner.html ) and because they dry on the sticks (I stand them in cups on the bench, or you can stick them in polystyrene or oasis they don't have bases, so you could do that and take the sticks out afterwards, but you would then have a little hole.

I never add anything to my chocolate, just melt and dip. Be careful when melting not to over-heat - once it starts getting soft often you can stop heating it and just stir to get it smooth.

gardie, Dec 12, 6:41am
I just use Pams brand chocolate melts - I only get Nestles if they are on special.I don't put Kremelta in - it is a good thickness of coating - only add the kremelta if you want it to be thinner.Have a good time doing these.Tedious but oh so worth it!

nunesy, Dec 16, 3:25am
To stop getting a 'base' of choc on your dipped choc balls etc you can run a toothpick around the base before it's set completely (ie before putting them in the fridge) and then when they're set you can lift them off and the ball breaks away from the excess choc where the toothpick line is.But if you dip with the choc and kremelta mix as explained by others here, there's not usually too much of a base to worry about.

samanya, Dec 17, 9:19am
I agree .marvellous gadget.

meegs35, Dec 18, 7:16pm
Don't freeze them for too long or else when the chocolate sets it can crack as the truffle inside softens. I use either block chocolate or melts. I find with the block chocolate that it can be hard to avoid a 'bloom' as it really needs to be tempered but the melts seem to set well and look good. I wouldn't thin with cream but would add a bit of oil.

daleaway, Dec 18, 11:48pm
Do your chocolates stay glossy after being melted and dipped!

One lot of mine is dull looking (I dipped in melts with nothing added), and the Rum and Raisin Clusters have gone quite dull and spiky - was that the effect of the alcohol content! (These were just teaspoon drops of the melted chocolate with raisins soaked in rum stirred into it.)

How do you get chocolates with a shine on! Is there a better product than the melts!

Also, if using silicon iceblock moulds for chocolates, should they be oiled first!

Chocolate novice here!

timetable, Dec 19, 12:07am
i use choc drops from bin inn - cadbury ones.i always use a bit of kremelta to thin the choc down, and use a swril that i brought for about $5 at spot light.always frezze the truffles first and choc dip when frozen.any liquid in the choc will effect it.i don't use alcohol but when i do clusters i just put in all the nuts and fruit into the choc and then mix with a spoon and put the spoonfulls on gladwrap on the bench.choc done at home won't have the same shine etc that store bought ones do.you moulds should be aok - enjoy and just go with the flow.it just takes practice.i melt mine in a bowl over boiling water - once the water is boiling just turn it off and place the bowl on the pot.