Help dipping truffles into chocolate

hyborn, Dec 20, 11:52pm
Im not having much success on this ive made mint truffles frozen them and trying to dip into chocolate but it doesnt seem to come out well I cant get that nice swirl on the top Im using the dipping tong thing and melting over simmering water - it just seem to be yuk on the top and pulls away from truffle

ngacooky, Dec 21, 12:10am
have you got cremelta in the chocolate! are the truffles still frozen! I dont know if this would cause a problem or not. I would choc coat them at room temp

sarahb5, Dec 21, 12:11am
Could be because your truffles are too cold.Also where did you find your chocolate dipper!

rayoz, Dec 21, 12:23am
ARE YOU USING COMPOUND CHOCOLATE!

245sam, Dec 21, 12:25am
sarahb5, do you have aSpotlight nearby!That's where my "chocolate dipper", known as a "Dipping Swirl" came from, although I have seen them in other shops such as Stevens and kitchenware areas in various other shops too.

If you don't know what to look out for, have a look at:-
http://homestylechocolates.co.nz/index.php!page=shop.browse&category_id=24&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=51

Hope that helps.:-))

245sam, Dec 21, 12:25am
sarahb5, do you have aSpotlight nearby!That's where my "chocolate dipper", known as a "Dipping Swirl" came from, although I have seen them in other shops such as Stevens and kitchenware areas in various other shops too.

If you don't know what to look out for, have a look at:-
http://homestylechocolates.co.nz/index.php!page=shop.browse&category_id=24&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=51

Hope that helps.:-))

sarahb5, Dec 21, 12:29am
Yep I've tried Spotlight and Stevens but no luck - maybe after Christmas when I feel more like venturing into town I might find something then I can make Baileys truffles for New Years instead!

245sam, Dec 21, 12:34am
sarahb5, have you tried looking in the kitchenware are of your local hardware store or even at your local supermarket or Farmers, K Mart, etc.!I notice that Homestyle Chocolates have an on-line ordering service - I wonder if that would be any help to you!Good luck, I hope you find one soon so you too can get dipping the easier (than with 2 forks) way.:-))

sarahb5, Dec 21, 12:38am
Awesome - thanks

magenta, Dec 21, 12:48am
I use two long wooden skewers. Drop each truffle in chocolate and turn over with a skewer. Then gently spear it on one or both sides, drop onto baking paper and using one skewer to cover up the holes and make a little swirl on the top. Sounds fiddly but I have done hundreds this way over the years and it is really easy. I think your frozen truffles are too smooth for the chocolate to stick on or your chocolate is too hot and runny .I always take mine out of the fridge not the freezer.

nauru, Dec 21, 9:31am
I always use a dipping swirl and have not had any problems, a bit of trial and error to start with.I don't freeze my truffles but chill them in the fridge before dipping.I also use a skewer to ease the truffle out of the swirl and sweep around the top with the swirl.Which chocolate are you using for dipping!.This year I have used Cadbury's Dark Melts and the end result is good.

nauru, Dec 21, 9:31am
I always use a dipping swirl and have not had any problems, a bit of trial and error to start with.I don't freeze my truffles &fillingsbefore dipping but chill them in the fridge.I also use a skewer to ease the truffles & chocolates out of the swirl and sweep around the top of the truffle with the swirl.Which chocolate are you using for dipping!.I have made & dipped chocolate truffles, marzipan triangles, chocolate ginger, chocolate apricots, bounty balls, orange and mint creams.Also made some uncooked coconut ice.An assortment of these have been packed into noodle boxes in layers, then trimmed with ribbons and bows to give as presents.

hyborn, Dec 26, 5:09am
hi all thanks for all the comments, I tried to take them from freezer and put in fridge for a bit but still not good, ended up using the skewers to put in and out.using nestles melts and doing the double boiler method for melting chocolate and not adding anything to chocolate - I think im doomed not to dip truffles:-(

auntlb, Dec 26, 6:30am
I use a teaspoon and just roll truffles in the chocolate and then use the spoon to put them on to a tray lined with baking paper - and and I kind of twirl the spoon over the top to give them a swirly effect on top